Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
Wherever Velotel rides. DONE!
Are his rides in the US?
Old 08-06-2017, 01:18 AM

These days?Anywhere cars are not.

Not kidding. I love riding everywhere, but no cars. I've only ever had 6 bad rides, and they all involved cars.

I even had fun the day I broke my arm mtb'ing in CA and I had to ride home on that thing, because - no cars.

But weirdly, some of my fondest biking memories are of the big cities I worked in after undergrad. When I was really stressed out, I would bike the city all night until there was no-one and all the streets became mine. Boulevards and traffic circles, ramps, tunnels... BRIDGES...

I guess this is what middle-age feels like.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:22 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
Lake Tahoe area. Beautiful lake, mountain passes, even desert. It has it all.
I've done this twice (just two weeks ago while vacationing with my sister's family in Truckee, and back in 2010 when my wife & I did the Markleeville Death Ride) and I have to agree, Tahoe is up there with the best I've experienced.

Other contenders for me are Keystone CO and Tucson AZ. And riding the Pacific Coast Highway in CA, which should be a bucket list item for every cyclist.

But tbh I feel like I haven't seen/cycled nearly enough of the USA for my opinion to be well-rounded enough for a poll!
Old 08-06-2017, 07:29 AM
Lanterne rouge

Not everyones cup-o-tea but rural iowa in july. Only bike ride I look froward to every year.
People, fun and more fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0281.JPG (142.2 KB, 196 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 07:54 AM
aka RAEKWON

upstate New York

western Massachusetts, d2r2 area

North Carolina, Asheville area

Pacific Northwest
Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 AM

I like to be away from cars and I like mixed terrain.

I enjoyed my time stationed in San Diego. There are too many people but early morning rides inland from La Jolla heading north to Escondido around Lake Hodges through the Elfin Forest out to the coast and then south along the coast with a tailwind. I could do that every day.

Fredericksburg, TX. The town is like the hub of a wheel with the spokes being routes radiating out. You can choose to punish yourself on steep hills, do some rolling stuff along rivers, or ride to Luckenbach and enjoy the surroundings.

I like the east side of Phoenix, the Scottsdale and Fountain Hills areas. Not in the summer, but I ride there for a week each March. Many different routes, lots of other riders, you just have to make sure your routes have places to fill bottles. You can get in trouble pretty quick if you don't.

Surprise pick, I rode through Petrified Forest National Park in June. The roads are good, if you ride from the north entrance, you drop into a valley and a headwind so even though you're climbing out, there's a gentle push helping you along. Go early, it gets hot.

I used to like Flagstaff but there's too many people and only a few good routes anymore.

Paris, TX. I live here. Can't say it's my favorite place but the weather allows me to ride year round plus the NE Texas Trail lets me do some gravel riding.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Where ever I happen to be. When in SanDiego or Camarillo, CA, some great rides..PCH, Elfin Forrest, Lake Wolford, Berrego Springs, around Santa Monica..When in Va Bch, some great rides there..and now in Boulder, great rides around the republic.

Some really awesome rides in Italia..but you said 'in the US'...
Old 08-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I've done this twice (just two weeks ago while vacationing with my sister's family in Truckee, and back in 2010 when my wife & I did the Markleeville Death Ride) and I have to agree, Tahoe is up there with the best I've experienced
I drove through Tahoe in early July. The traffic was bumper to bumper. Are there routes which avoid the traffic? I can't imagine riding around that level of traffic.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 AM
It An't Me Babe

It's all relative.

I truly miss the riding from the simple loops on the North Shore of Nassau County conducted from to point of leaving my house, out 'n back, and comin' home. Shelter Rock Road to the service road of the Long Island Expressway fer heavens sake! Lots of quiet(er) roads to ride, lots of space on the shoulder to do it. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Favorite place where I get to bring a bike to ride? Martha's Vineyard.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:34 AM

As I get older.....I'm more and more enjoying paved routes with little or no traffic. Especially enjoy Colorado front range trails. Don't mind if they aren't as exciting as some of the mountain routes, just don't want to get hit 2000 miles from home. NC Mountains, N Ga mountains, Greenville SC, VA eastern shore....New England....all have great riding. Basically just like to ride in some different (cooler in summer than here) safe routes. Also enjoy the twice weekly rides with my also retired buddies around here. For an old guy.....if I had to ride in just one place all the time....it would be Central Florida. Florida is being designed to be the "Eco Tourist" destination in the USA. Trail coming down from Ga. The only tourist activity that draws more tourists to Florida than our paved trails is Disney. (BTW....we don't consider Disney as Orlando) I see folks from all over the world on the paved trail near my home. I'm seeing cycling as more and more a main stream activity. Not just for us "enthusiasts".

Last edited by Ralph; 08-06-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 AM
needs adult supervision

For me, the answer encompasses more than great riding. Food has to figure in too. And the vibe of the place. The total experience, on and off the bike. With that in mind, my two picks are Asolo, Italy and Healdsburg, CA.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:45 AM

Maine:
Midcoast and Downweast. Anywhere as long as you avoid Route 1.
Southwestern-Lyman/Limington/Parsonfield, etc.
other misc. rural areas.

Vermont:
East Burke/NE Kingdom (mostly dirt)
Green Mountains (Gaps, etc)
Brattleboro area (dirt; overlaps D2R2)
Woodstock area (more dirt)

New Hampshire:
White Mountains

Western Mass:
Deerfield/D2R2
Great Barrington/Berkshires
Graylock area

NorCal Marin/Sonoma/Mendo counties

Yet to explore: Catskills

Edit: Forgot about..
North Carolina-Boone, Asheville..
South Carolina- Greenville, etc

Last edited by marciero; 08-07-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Fredericksburg, TX. The town is like the hub of a wheel with the spokes being routes radiating out. You can choose to punish yourself on steep hills, do some rolling stuff along rivers, or ride to Luckenbach and enjoy the surroundings.
My parents live in between Kerrville and Fredericksburg. I go down there to visit 2-3 times a year. I've decided to ship the Kvale I just bought down there to take advantage of the fantastic rides in the area. Beats riding through the ice and snow in the winter here in Minnesota.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
In no particular order:

Where joostx rides.
Where Mzilliox rides.
Where K u r t rides.
Where colker rides.
Where round rides.
Rio de Janeiro>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161127_174457781_HDR.jpg (93.5 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
Rio de Janeiro>
Mmmmmmmm sewage.