Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2017, 10:41 PM

OT: pes anserenus pain.... any tips?? help???

Swapped pedals today, all looked ok... I do not use a lot of gear either, pretty much 39x17ish, really light.

I did feel the pain at the anserenus area (left leg)for a few seconds at the begining of the ride, and I put a lighter gear just to avoid problems later, fixed the right cleat that was tad weird and I noticed that the right leg discomfort went away, same with a hot spot at he ball of the foot.

Ride averaged maybe 84 to 90 rpms... 3 hours +...

When I got back home noticed that the pes anserenus area was tender, the quad over the knee was sored a little bit but now is ok.

Left Gluteus maximus is tender right at the middle, anything around that spot is ok. 1st time have this... :/

I can walk ok but this thing is just sored, no inflammation of any kind. Is this a problem of Q-factor? With the new pedals looks like im a little bit off (2 or 4 mm maybe, need to check) in comparison to the other pedal, No other pains what so ever during and after the ride.

I have pronation and my ankles fall very bad, so I have insoles that are really high at the arch, wonder if putting something lower will fix the problem??? I know the position of the arch is not natural but just need the support, always can heat the insoles and get the insole to conform my arch better. I know Im forcing it.

Hope this thing is ok for tomorrow... :/

Any suggestions?
Old 07-31-2017, 08:58 AM

My limited experience.

I have flat feet and pronate. Changing cleats or pedals will change the amount of "slop" in the system and can have an impact on my feet and legs. I have multiple bikes with varying q so I'm not sensitive to Q.

Three years ago I purchased new Sidi Wires, installed new Shimano Blue cleats (a first, always yellow on Sidi's before) and new higher Spec Body Geo insoles. Same Dura Ace SPD-Sl pedals.

Oh the pain. Went back home, installed new yellow cleats and put in older mid height Body Geo insoles. Much much better........no pain.

The body can handle (and might need) a certain amount of freedom of movement. If you can't go back to your previous setup, try one step at a time. Maybe start with a lower insole.

Note, good idea to plan and replace cleats etc. during the winter when many ride less.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:26 AM

Thanks a lot for your advice... this morning the soreness is located more at the quad... since years ago I was getting an almost saddle sore in my right cheek, amazingly enough yesterday after the ride I was perfect and makes me think if the soreness I have in the left knee area and the left cheek is related with a more balanced position and pedaling and now the body is trying to react to that?