Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:42 PM

I highly recommend trying out a vegan diet. I've been vegetarian for most of my life but finally dropping dairy and eggs about two years ago was one of the best decisions I've made for my general health. I have a much healthier gut, I get sick less often, and I feel like I have more energy. It depends a lot on where you live but in most cities there are at least a few great fully vegan options for eating out, and almost all restaurants that aren't stuck in the Stone Age have at least ONE vegan option. As for cooking at home, once you make the original switch over from the stuff you used to use to more plant based products, you'll find that there's an endless supply of options for meals, and no shortage of substitutes for the old comfort foods you're dreading cutting out. I also found that I throw out less food as fruits and veggies don't go bad as quickly as dairy products. I relied on 'transitional' products for a long time, like fake meat and cheese, but I've had some health problems recently that have put me on a diet that excludes soy and wheat, so I've gotten better about cooking with whole foods rather than processed ones. Last night we made a great lasagna that used cauliflower and cashews to make 'ricotta', and the rest of the ingredients were fresh vegetables and a few spices (aside from the brown rice lasagna noodles). Cooking vegan requires a little bit of creativity but I've come to enjoy the challenge.

I have no doubts that people can live healthily on other diets, but veganism has worked really well for me, and the ethical and environmental reasons keep me from trying anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Milk was my last holdout for the longest time. When you're ready to quit it, you're ready but I'm such a coffee snob. Switching to almond and trying to find the right blend for me hasn't ever been easy. It's ok. I just became a huge fan of straight up Long Blacks.
If you haven't already, give hemp milk a try. It's one of the best non dairy milks I've tried in coffee. Part of the struggle is finding a good coffee shop that knows how to steam nondairy milks but I'm lucky to have a partner that's a barista so I can get a good drink from her at work or at home.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:19 PM

MattTuck, if you hang with Dr. Greger for a little bit, you will be exposed to all the latest research. While it is another book, he is not another doctor. He makes no claims that are not supported by legit research and the papers are cited for you to delve as deep as you'd like.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 PM

AND, good coffee is taken black.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM

I dare say.. all of you with the crazy diets trying to recapture your youth should cut the coffee and tea 100% and try going stimulant free.

Nature definitely didn't mean for us to consume coffee.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I'm vegan. The decision was one of the best I ever made. Giving up animal proteins has done nothing but improve my mood, my health, my energy, everything.

It isn't a fad. Im not designed to have the SAD. it's bull**** marketing that's been pushed on me since birth by the complicit relationship between bigAG and our government.

Animal-Based SAD's are responsible for:
Eco-terrorism
Massive disease/sickness rates
Huge health care costs
Mental health issues
Rampant human rights/workers violations
Systemic racism and exploitation of the poor
Animal Welfare

I refuse to be a part of a system where so much harm is done, when I have the ability to opt out, especially to my own personal benefit.
Being vegan is healthy and responsible for me, my family, and my community and it's easier and tastier than ever.
Do you really believe diet is responsible for all of these issues? Makes life simple I guess - diet is all that matters?

Jeff
Old 08-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
Do you really believe diet is responsible for all of these issues? Makes life simple I guess - diet is all that matters?

Jeff
What a weird response. Do I think its solely responsible? Nope.

Do I think what we eat and how we participate in a larger system is partially responsible or has a role to play? Uh, yep.

Is it something that I have at least some control over, my participation in said systems? Uh, duh.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 AM

edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

Nature definitely didn't mean for us to consume coffee.
Coffee in moderation is very good for you...........as is meat.

Life is too short to be slow.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
edit

Coffee in moderation is very good for you...........as is meat.

Life is too short to be slow.

i would think that anything in moderation is good for you. i have basically been a vegetarian for the past 20 years but do not make a big deal about it. when in a social setting i can do a steak, chicken breast or a fish filet. sometimes i actually wonder if i have more energy the next day.

Last edited by alancw3; 08-01-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

I don't understand the need to try to convince others to be vegan. If you are convinced it is the cure for all of the world's ills, I tip my hat to you.

I have 2 cousins (well my cousin and his wife) who are vegans. They have been vegans for over 30 years. They are both 70 and very thin and fit. They exercise daily. The wife is a yoga instructor. My cousin rides his bike up Mt. Gilboa 4-5 times a week. They don't smoke. They don't eat desert. The wife has diabetes and my cousin has prostate cancer.

If everyone was the same, my daughter who doesn't exercise and is underweight and my son who does exercise daily and is overweight (they eat nearly the same things every day) would have similar body types.

I am not convinced of the vegan benefits. Sorry.

Moderation. Find what works for your body. ymmv.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
What a weird response. Do I think its solely responsible? Nope.

Do I think what we eat and how we participate in a larger system is partially responsible or has a role to play? Uh, yep.

Is it something that I have at least some control over, my participation in said systems? Uh, duh.
Maybe you should have written your post differently then. Uh, duh!

Jeff
Old 08-02-2017, 02:02 AM

I am considering this diet change; I have watched both Netflix films mentioned in this thread; and I can see both the pro/con arguments.

I do have a question, important to me as a dog-lover:
what do vegans with dogs do about their dogs' diet?
Old 08-02-2017, 02:11 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I do have a question, important to me as a dog-lover: what do vegans with dogs do about their dogs' diet?
Most just feed them dog food.

I'm a vegetarian but don't impose that on my cats - it wouldn't be fair to them.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
The research supporting a vegan diet is piling up.
https://nutritionfacts.org/
There is big bucks and a huge PR machine behind making war and selling animals as food. It is understandable that most people think it's a good idea.

Somewhat cycling related, I've gone years with what seemed random bouts of nighttime leg cramps that were not associated with duration, intensity or frequency of workouts. Now I am convinced that these cramps are associated with dinners that include meat.
I was reading through the thread thinking I'd post the link you did above. So, a hearty second recommendation for all to visit it. There are tons of resources, and they mostly do understand which scientific studies are useful and which less so.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I am considering this diet change; I have watched both Netflix films mentioned in this thread; and I can see both the pro/con arguments.

I do have a question, important to me as a dog-lover:
what do vegans with dogs do about their dogs' diet?
It's a good question and I wrestled with it after going vegan while having dogs - why should I kill animals I don't know to feed animals I do?

A lot of vegans I know do feed their dogs vegan dog food and they seem to be doing well. Cats are obligate carnivores though and this won't work.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:22 PM

Jeez, I'm gone for five days and miss a thread on all things vegan - what the heck!

More later, but for now, here's a nice exploration of the ethical argument:

http://spot.colorado.edu/~heathwoo/r...s/norcross.pdf

There is a lot of suffering in the world. One of the easiest choices you can make to reduce that suffering is to stop eating animals.

The health benefits have been great for me too.

#beans_and_rice_muh_life
Closed Thread