Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:23 PM

O.T. "What the Health"

Just finished watching "What the Health" on Netflix. Almost makes me want to go vegetarian. Wondering how much is fact or fiction. Whats your thoughts?
Old 07-30-2017, 05:33 PM

My wife and I are vegan. Her mother and grandmother went vegan after watching WTH. I still haven't seen it but the results are real. I ride a lot and am in stellar shape with very low BF and high muscle without trying to eat a set amount of anything. Just lots of fruits, veggies, carbs. We get crazy with Asian inspired sauces and salads quite often.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:46 PM
aka RAEKWON

I watched it, also watched like 5 other docs and did a bunch of research for a few weeks. I have been vegan for the past month and it is going real good.

Its not about being vegan, I feel like I know a lot of unhealthy vegans... muffins, vegan cheese, ect ect... Its all about a plant based diet. Similar to being vegan as no meat, dairy or fish but also processed food. I am still eating some processed food but I try to stick to minimally processed stuff. Pretty much, if I don't know what the ingredient in the label is I will not eat it.

I am now down 10 lbs and dropped my blood pressure a couple of points. It was not easy at first (even though I was a vegetarian for 10 years but had been eating fish and some meat for the past 3 years) but that helped since I was already used to not being able to eat certain things.

Of course people will disagree with the doc and with the lifestyle which is fine but the doc and research is pretty eye opening.

Other good doc to check out on netflix is forks over knives.

edit - oh and cheese is hard to give up. I am european, I ate cheese everyday for the past 30 years and I loved it but it is for sure addicting.

Last edited by R3awak3n; 07-30-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:30 PM

I'ts the cheese and milk I don't want to give up. I have decided to go for it, try the vegan route for three weeks. Starting now.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:54 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I'ts the cheese and milk I don't want to give up. I have decided to go for it, try the vegan route for three weeks. Starting now.
nice. first week is the toughest, then it gets easier and feels good.

just make sure you go to the grocery store before you start, load up on the good stuff because one of the toughest parts is going out to eat.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:16 PM

Vegan is just about the last thing I would ever want to do. I eat anything that I want and I'm plenty healthy. No fad diets for me.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Vegan is just about the last thing I would ever want to do. I eat anything that I want and I'm plenty healthy. No fad diets for me.
the way to look at it is to look at it not as a diet. A diet is temporary and it will fail you. this should be a life change, you change the way you eat and become healthier.

now if you think you are healthy right now, thats great, keep on doing what you are doing and all is great.

But you should watch the documentary which is what this thread is about. Its not about veganism, its about a lot more than that.

also, I don't want to preach, I really think people should do what they want to do and I hate when people shove their ideas down your throat, being it veganism or the opposite (the crazy meat is everything people). Everyone does what they want, everyone is happy
Old 07-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
You didn't necessarily imply this, but for the record, vegetarianism or veganism are not "fad" diets. I suppose for a few folks they might be, but in general for the vast majority of the people doing it, it's much more of a long-term life decision than a fad.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
You're definitely behind the times if you think those are fad diets. I've been a vegetarian for 30+ years. No fad diets for me. Oh and.. what is your definition of 'plenty healthy', exactly?
Old 07-30-2017, 09:41 PM

Yes, calling it a fad diet is probably not the right description. I know many Indians are vegans, and seem to get along fine....for the most part.

I'm happy as a meat eater and see no reason to change. I don't overeat meat, or anything else for that matter. I just try to eat balanced diets put forth before me, and hold no vices. And I'm happy and healthy.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
nice. first week is the toughest, then it gets easier and feels good.

just make sure you go to the grocery store before you start, load up on the good stuff because one of the toughest parts is going out to eat.
R3awak3n, going shopping Tuesday, excited about this direction. I would say that 65% of my diet is plant based. What is the good stuff, foods you would recommend? Also, doing research online regarding going vegan.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 AM

I'm vegan. The decision was one of the best I ever made. Giving up animal proteins has done nothing but improve my mood, my health, my energy, everything.

It isn't a fad. Im not designed to have the SAD. it's bull**** marketing that's been pushed on me since birth by the complicit relationship between bigAG and our government.

Animal-Based SAD's are responsible for:
Eco-terrorism
Massive disease/sickness rates
Huge health care costs
Mental health issues
Rampant human rights/workers violations
Systemic racism and exploitation of the poor
Animal Welfare

I refuse to be a part of a system where so much harm is done, when I have the ability to opt out, especially to my own personal benefit.
Being vegan is healthy and responsible for me, my family, and my community and it's easier and tastier than ever.

Last edited by livingminimal; 07-31-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Milk was my last holdout for the longest time. When you're ready to quit it, you're ready but I'm such a coffee snob. Switching to almond and trying to find the right blend for me hasn't ever been easy. It's ok. I just became a huge fan of straight up Long Blacks.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
Milk was my last holdout for the longest time. When you're ready to quit it, you're ready but I'm such a coffee snob. Switching to almond and trying to find the right blend for me hasn't ever been easy. It's ok. I just became a huge fan of straight up Long Blacks.
About 5 years ago we had breakfast in a veggie/vegan cafe and without my realising it they served almond milk with my cereal (although my wife knew it was almond milk but said nothing to see how I would react). I enjoyed it and we've been using almond milk ever since. I don't miss cows milk at all and of course the benefits foe animal welfare are a bonus.

I've been pescatarian for 4 years and while I won't lecture anyone about their dietary choices I do feel a lot healthier.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 AM
Older Than You

I've made it to 79 eating fruit, veggies, turkey and fish. I see no reason to change.
Closed Thread