Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 10:41 AM

I don't claim to be any sort of expert in cycling nutrition but if you're looking for a non dairy alternative to chocolate milk with a decent amount of protein, check out Ripple, it's a pea protein based milk, available in chocolate vanilla and 'original' flavors (but you can only get the chocolate at Target for some reason). It's the creamiest vegan chocolate milk I've tried and pea protein is good for people with food sensitivities as very few people have any sort of reaction to it (as opposed to soy, or dairy).
Old 07-31-2017, 11:06 AM

Ripple, like on Sanford and Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonprophet View Post
I don't claim to be any sort of expert in cycling nutrition but if you're looking for a non dairy alternative to chocolate milk with a decent amount of protein, check out Ripple, it's a pea protein based milk, available in chocolate vanilla and 'original' flavors (but you can only get the chocolate at Target for some reason). It's the creamiest vegan chocolate milk I've tried and pea protein is good for people with food sensitivities as very few people have any sort of reaction to it (as opposed to soy, or dairy).
Old 07-31-2017, 11:53 AM

Well, it's early days, but I had my new concoction last night after a ride and I'm rather pleased with it so far. I'm thinking that the higher protein and lower sugar counts are going to be good for me. We'll see.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone have any suggestions for tweaks to this? Does it look out of whack in any way?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
I find and the literature confirms that shakes and smoothies are not as satiating as food you chew. YMMV

Whey is a dairy product and many endurance athletes believe it produces phlegm. While this may or may not be true, they avoid it during intense training. The chocolate milk as a recovery drink trope was started by the dairy industry to boost flagging sales. It has way more fat and sugar than a professional would recommend. If you read the actual study that the industry paid for to support these commercials, you'll see that a fluid recovery drink that was basically Gatorade was actually more effective. What the study said was that chocolate milk was almost as good as drinking fluid with electrolytes.
Revisiting this: I think I now see what you mean about the phlegm part. I experienced some of that after using the whey protein for a couple days. So that's now out.

I'm also struggling to get my acid reflux under control, and I think the frozen berries probably made that worse. Not to mention the banana, which apparently has a very high "fermentation potential" (I'm trying to eliminate foods like that, at least for a couple of weeks, and the initial results seem promising, knock on wood).

I'm now wracking my brains trying to figure out something to have after a hard effort on the bike that doesn't include any dairy or fruit. Pretty much the only thing I can handle out of the four things in my recovery drink above is the almond milk.

Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Well, it's early days, but I had my new concoction last night after a ride and I'm rather pleased with it so far. I'm thinking that the higher protein and lower sugar counts are going to be good for me. We'll see.

Just out of curiosity, would anyone have any suggestions for tweaks to this? Does it look out of whack in any way?

You should try a few less carbs in your mix. Try for only 3 times the grams of protein. Then add in a couple grams of l-glutamine. It may take a few days of using to see the benefits.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Revisiting this: I think I now see what you mean about the phlegm part. I experienced some of that after using the whey protein for a couple days. So that's now out.

I'm also struggling to get my acid reflux under control, and I think the frozen berries probably made that worse. Not to mention the banana, which apparently has a very high "fermentation potential" (I'm trying to eliminate foods like that, at least for a couple of weeks, and the initial results seem promising, knock on wood).

I'm now wracking my brains trying to figure out something to have after a hard effort on the bike that doesn't include any dairy or fruit. Pretty much the only thing I can handle out of the four things in my recovery drink above is the almond milk.

Any ideas?
A giant steak burrito? You could always ship the cheese but hey life is short, I say pile it on.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
A giant steak burrito? You could always ship the cheese but hey life is short, I say pile it on.
I love burritos, they're totally verboten for me at the moment. What seems to be giving me some hope with the acid reflux/gas is a dietary restriction on gluten and beans (among many other things).

I'm starting to look into a recovery drink made up of a vegan protein and a carbohydrate powder without sugar. It would be 200 calories with 11 g protein and 35 g carbohydrates. Seems like it would hit the spot, plus it wouldn't be so detrimental to my current state of gastrointestinal distress.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
For these best five months of the year we're currently in I'm riding every day if I can, otherwise 5 or 6 days a week. Some days hard, some days not. I'm not too systematic about it, but I do intervals sometimes, and hard efforts sometimes, and on days when I wake up "feeling it" I take it easy.

This has served me well. I'm 51. And after a lifetime of eating crap food like a teenager, this January I gave up all junk food and extraneous liquids, and concentrated on having good home-cooked meals. It's amazing what whole, healthy food will do for your day-to-day sense of well-being! I don't miss Doritos or Wendy's at all. I've lost two notches on the belt.

I think I'm lucky, actually. Because I had no cravings when I quit smoking ten years ago, and I have no cravings for junk food now. It's a new stage of life for me, and I just feel a sense of detached curiosity at how I used to eat.

But I do enjoy the reward of a recovery drink after riding. Here's what I've currently been doing:

Thing is, I want to fine tune this. I'm thinking I'd like to try a smoothie like this:

This is pretty much a slam dunk, isn't it? Less sugar, bit more protein, closer to a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein? I mean, is there any possible reason why I shouldn't go from the first option to the second one?
Your shakes sound fine to me, OP. In fact I make a similar one for my wife and I every morning when we get up - which is our breakfast I suppose. I basically fill each of our bullet-type blender cups with: half a banana, a tbsp PB, quarter to half cup uncooked oats, some type of fresh or frozen berries - whatever I have on hand, also some cinnamon, some splenda or saccharin or stevia, ice, and water. I vary it up sometimes with pineapple, or add some kale, or a scoop of whey protein, or whatever.

I like shakes a lot in general, because you can combine a lot of good-for-you ingredients into a compact, easy to drink, low calorie meal. I use these same shakes after long rides too sometimes - usually 40 miles or more.

Your new lifestyle sounds like a great change. Just make sure you watch your diet - which you seem to be doing - and you'll make great, positive changes in your life. I do all our cooking for my wife and I, and I'm careful about caloric intake, and of course what we eat. We're mostly vegetarian, and I make sure we eat a lot of salads and veggies, fish a couple times a week too, and I limit our simple carb intake - desserts, that type of thing.

I'm in my mid 50's and am still carded when I buy alcohol, and am routinely told by people I meet that I look like I'm in my 30's. My wife who's in her mid 40's gets the same type of comments. We also get stellar physicals every year, and are not on any prescription medications. This wouldnt be the case if we ate the normal crap diet many Americans eat. Diet is just SO important.

Hope this wasnt more info than you wanted, lol. But yeah, keep up what your doing, and good luck!

Last edited by jumphigher; 08-09-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:00 AM

Don't see how ingredients taken from real food are better than the food itself. So I just eat a meal after a hard ride.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 AM

I drink a powdered recovery drink from Skratch. It takes 30 seconds to make so I can get some calories as soon as I finish a ride.

Andrew
Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM

Your recovery shake could have more protein, try quinoa seed, wheat germ or hemp seed. And if you can schedule a 20 minute nap immediately after your ride you'll get additional benefits. I would avoid factory produced nutritive powders and pablums, other than yogurt.

Last edited by 93KgBike; 08-11-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: ps
Old 08-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Dr Mirkin says about any thing will do. Coke and salty pea nuts fine toward end of ride....just no coke after heart rate down. You ride on sugar. And probably need to replace some salt, with protein to build muscle fiber....wouldn't over think it. Some studies show a fast food meal as good for recovery as anything. May cause heart disease and other issues if used as a steady diet....but you asked about recovery.

Last edited by Ralph; 08-11-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:53 PM

I tend to listen to Dr Mirkin....and here in Florida....every long hard ride is a sweat fest.

BTW....I applaud your lifestyle changes. Hope it leads to a longer healthier life.

Here he talks about recovery. https://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/rec...our-sport.html
Old 08-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Your recovery shake could have more protein, try quinoa seed, wheat germ or hemp seed.
My understanding is that a 3:1 or 4:1 protein-carb ratio is optimal. Are people saying something different now?

Quote:
And if you can schedule a 20 minute nap immediately after your ride you'll get additional benefits.
This sounds intriguing. Can you define "immediately after"? What I tend to do is have my recovery drink and then relax at my computer for about half an hour, then take a shower (10 minutes). Would it be too late to do the nap afterward?

Quote:
I would avoid factory produced nutritive powders and pablums, other than yogurt.
What negative aspects are associated with protein and carb powders?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I tend to listen to Dr Mirkin....and here in Florida....every long hard ride is a sweat fest.

BTW....I applaud your lifestyle changes. Hope it leads to a longer healthier life.

Here he talks about recovery. https://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/rec...our-sport.html
Thanks for the kind words. From your link:

"Fast foods such as French fries, hash browns and hamburgers helped athletes recover just as quickly from hard workouts as sports nutrition products such as Gatorade, PowerBars or Clif Bars (International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, March 26, 2015)."

I'd love to grab a burger and fries after a hard ride, and indeed I've actually done that before, but right now I'm dealing with an acid reflux situation gone haywire (been on a PPI for a year, trying to wean myself off it, lots of fun), so I'm restricting all sorts of things in my diet for the time being.

Including everything in my first post in this thread save for almond milk. Sigh...