Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2017, 08:14 PM

I think it's like comparing a Nissan to a Mercedes. Both are quality cars but they are in entirely different classes.

It also depends on what you are going to use it for.

I have a ninja and I like it a lot, but for the most part I make smoothies, sometimes soups. I'm sure the vitamix is vastly superior but the ninja is sufficient for my purposes.

What I really came here to add is that I was impressed with ninja's customer service. The pitcher started cracking after less than a year & they didn't give me any hassle, just verified my purchase info & sent me a new one immediately. Didn't make me send them any pictures or fill out any forms or anything. It was shockingly simple.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:45 PM

Consumer Reports liked them both but thought the Ninja was a big bargain.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:00 AM

We have a vitamix and really like it, never used a ninja though. We use it to make rice flour and other gluten free flours. It also makes awesome butternut squash soup!

It is loud
Old 07-30-2017, 07:57 AM

My wife just bought me a Nutribullet Pro which is pretty cool if you are just making smoothies. There a couple types of handles (one with cover, one without) that you just screw onto the container you make the smoothie in. Easy peasey...

Very little cleanup compared to the blender I was using before.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:07 AM

I have been using a Blendtec Pro daily for 6 or 7 years. It will be the best $1100 you will ever spend.

bendtec.jpg

Last edited by rockdude; 07-30-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:41 AM

We own both and I completely disassembled both to compare the build quality and understand what drives the differential in price. As someone mentioned earlier, it's akin to Mercedes (or Bentley) vs Nissan....in short the quality of materials, including amount of plastic (both weight and thickness), electronics (basic wiring vs beefy gauge and simple vs complex switchboard) is clearly obvious when you put the piece-parts side by side.

It's also pretty interesting to do side by side comparisons using the exact same ingredients. The Vitamix is far quieter and does a more efficient and complete job in every way.

Comparing the two is kind of like saying "well Walmart sells bikes, so why would I go to a bike shop and pay big $$$ for some fancy carbon bike?"

Either is sufficient, but the Vitamix is far superior.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM

Like mentioned above, get the vitamix at costco, on sale on a regular basis. I use it every day, usually with a lot of frozen fruit. 7 year warranty is a plus.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:08 AM

What are you planning to use it for? I'd hardly think spending either Blendtec or Vitamix money for a machine that will primarily make smoothies is a smart investment. If you're looking for something that can make soups and sauces on the regular that might be a different story.

Otherwise your question is similar to the age old, which bike is "better" question that drives most all of us crazy without knowing how the bike will be used OR what the buyer's expectations are.

We used a Ninja for 5 or 6 yrs on a daily basis with at 3 users and sometimes four making smoothies and loved it, no problems AND I could whip up some soup when needed, rarely, but it always did the job. We've now had a "Bullet" for a couple yrs and are happy again using it the same way with fewer users.

I'm the family "chef" and if we were into soups or I was a regular sauce maker I'd "invest" in a Vitamix or Blendtec but neither of those fit our user profile nor our wallet "weight" just to have a cool machine on our counter.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
i have a vitamix. used a ninja at my brothers house.
there is no comparison at all.
vitamix is way powerful and better.
Ditto.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:50 PM

I've had my vitamix for 18 years now, still going strong, has never needed warranty anything. Mostly used for smoothies with frozen fruit, etc.
IF you think it is something you'll really make use of regularly, I'd pony up the extra 200-300 to get the vitamix.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:35 AM

we love our vitamix - can be bought for less via open item sales at target or costco, sometimes open items sold online too. Easier to justify the price that way.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:20 AM

I'm not huge into blenders and admittedly my wife is the one who does the real cooking in our house; I'm the cleanup guy. anyway, you didn't give any context but I'd suggest assessing what you're actually going to use it for. we got a vitamix as a wedding gift and it just sits now. too bulky and just overkill for our needs. we end up using this cheapo "magic bullet" deal as it's perfect for the main thing we like to make: smoothies. super simple to use and cleanup. you basically just put the base of it away, throw a straw into the mixing cup and start drinking. awesome when you're shredded from a ride and want a recovery smoothie but have very minimal energy to screw with extra crap.

anyway, just an alternative thought from what's been mentioned.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:26 AM

We have a factory certified unit and we have been very happy with it. 5 year warranty and they have additional discounts from time to time.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:37 AM

I have a ninja and loathe using it. It works okay for smoothies, but does not get them even close to the smooth consistency vitamix or blendtec can. Leaves dates and nuts like almonds chunky where the vitamix I've used makes everything a smooth, drinkable consistency.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 PM

Echoing some of what has been said, but trying to be specific to be helpful. When I make smoothies I put spinach or kale in, usually along with chia seeds. The vitamix is much, much better than the ninja for that. If your smoothies have fruit and yogurt, the ninja will be fine, but raspberry and strawberry seeds will still be mostly there. If you get the ninja and want to do spinach or chia seeds or berries with seeds, use the single serving cup and blade. The single blade at the bottom works much better than the series of blades on the shaft of the Ninja. Never used a blend tec. Heard good things. Love my Vitamix.