Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-30-2017, 06:32 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Price per unit is retarded and the amount of plastic wasted is unacceptable. If you don't mind paying a premium per cup and don't mind bringing all the capsules to the store they have explained to me that they are able to send them off for proper recycling. I'm sure I'm still skeptical. I've used an espresso machine now for over a decade but recently caved and bought a nespresso frother - the new one that has different settings and can be put in the dishwasher. This gives me my cake and I can eat it too: good quality shots, no plastic consumed and milk frother fast. I'm a happy camper.
FWIW, Nespresso capsules are aluminum, not plastic. Also, they will give you collection bags for the capsules to send to them for recycling or you can bring them for dropoff at a store.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
I can enjoy lots of different coffee depending on the circumstances. Hell, I had a starbucks drip last week that wasn't THAT bad...

but how do you use "owned" in the past tense on a Giotto?

I'll be buried with my Rocket.
I -really- loved the machine, but I think a big part of that love was the process. I realized that when it came to actually -drinking- coffee/espresso, I was just as happy having some plain drip. I couldn't really justify $3k worth of coffee making gear, the upkeep, etc etc. I also tried ordering various high quality, fresh, espresso beans from highly recommended roasters, and truth is, I couldn't tell much diff. The shots looked great, but I guess my palate couldn't really discern the subtle tastes that others can.

I have at times contemplated getting back into it, start watching youtube videos again of the machines, but then come to my senses..

Oh, and I also agree that you can't compare nespresso to keurig. I too have had my fair share of keurig coffee, and it is disgusting. Not sure why it is so bad compared to nespresso.

I do like the foam/crema the vertuoline creates on top of the coffee. Some local stores have the vertuoline machine bundles (brewer + frother) on sale for about 179 Can...
Old 07-30-2017, 08:05 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
If your doing just espresso, then any of the original machines do a satisfactory job. If you want regular coffee as well, I'd do an Evolou. You can generally get them for 40℅ or more off so just watch for sales.

Ray
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-30-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
Wait until it needs to be repaired!!! Mine sh1t the bed a while ago and cost almost $900 (including shipping to send to the closest repair center). I was tempted to trash it and get a new one.
Thinks can always go wrong and no company has a 100% perfect track record, but Rocket's is pretty damn good...Ive heard of very, very, very few issues, especially if you're using it with care, backflushing regularly, etc.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:10 AM

I recently discovered that the capsules are cheaper in Europe (in Paris €3.50 a sleeve). I definitely stocked up on quite a bit before I returned to the US.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:35 AM
Administrator

i too have had nespresso from hotel rooms and think the coffee it makes is pretty good.

i drink a lot of coffee, and enjoy a good cup, but the convenience factor most of the time wins out. the truth is that i do drink a decent amount of keurig coffee and think some of the stuff is passable. the office coffee is keurig stocked, so the convenience (and cost) of just grabbing a few cups in the office per day is there.

of course, in NYC, there are any number of places that i can walk to on the way to my office that have pretty amazingly good coffee. then, of course, once in the coffee shop in the morning, you cant pass up the breakfast pastries, and its a slippery slope of dollars and calories adding up.

ha.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
SO, can someone please tell me the diff between the vertuoline and originaline?
I've read online, and as best I can tell, Originaline doesn't actually make a full size cup of coffee, just espresso and lungo. One uses pressure, one uses centrifuge.
And the vertuoline pods are more expensive...Is that correct? Am I missing anything?
I like espresso, but we are really only interested in regular coffee.

Thx!
Correct, only espresso with Originaline, Coffee and Espresso with Vertuoline
The newest Vertuoline is the VERTUOPLUS.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Since you know the business model so well, Nespresso provides postage paid bags to recycle the pods. Unlike the other brand that really does add the the landfill. Thought you should know that before you make those statements.

Ray
Ya this makes total sense..