Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2017, 07:54 AM

We do an informal TT on Tuesdays at 6 pm in Rochester, MA. 8 mile loop, roads are good except a 1/3 mile stretch on the last mile, one tight corner but all right hand turns. traffic is pretty light. All are welcome, free timing

https://www.strava.com/segments/7256952

We used to have a 14 mile TT in Rochester but had to change it up due to some really bad road conditions.

There is the Duxbury, MA TT on Thursdays but that one seems on the way out. attendance is way down this year, roads deteriorating and the turns are sketchy as well as the traffic.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:25 PM

Strava?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
There's no reason you can't TT on your own. Create your own route and compete against your own times. Problem solved.
You're describing Strava.

In fact I wonder if you asked some of the folks who used to compete in that race if they still plan to ride the course, just with Strava logging the course attempts.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:18 AM

Is the NEBC time trial still going? Outside of Concord, up toward Chelmsford and back past Carlisle... another relic from the '80s.

Praise Google! Here's what it found me:

http://nebc.us/wp-content/uploads/20...2017-flyer.pdf

Wednesday nights through 9/6. If this is as friendly and competitive a group as it was when I was there, then we should all go. And if some of you do, come back in here and tell the story, I'd love to hear about it!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
You're describing Strava.

In fact I wonder if you asked some of the folks who used to compete in that race if they still plan to ride the course, just with Strava logging the course attempts.
Not to pick nits, but most people don't ride TT's to compete against themselves; they've got to have the competition of chasing someone else. Riding to beat YOUR OWN TIME is too painful. It's a zen thing.

The Strava difference with TT's, besides some people don't use any ride recording apps, is the conditions between 2 peoples' separate attempts will be different, and the geeks will argue that therefore comparisons will be invalid. Then you've got to wonder about who ran the TT honorably i.e., did they start from a dead stop or cheat and fly through the start, etc. .

Competing against your own time, you only need a stopwatch.

A few years ago some friends and I, none of who had Strava, held a gentlemen's TT. You would ride it any time you liked and posted a report to the others. I was the secretary and recorded the times. One member painted the start/stop lines and you were on your honor to roll through the start below X mph. That's it.

Last edited by Peter P.; 07-30-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpiecuch View Post
New England Masters Cycling Association still holds the Peter Murphy TT.
You know why it's called the Pete Murphy TT, right?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Is the NEBC time trial still going? Outside of Concord, up toward Chelmsford and back past Carlisle... another relic from the '80s.

Wednesday nights through 9/6. If this is as friendly and competitive a group as it was when I was there, then we should all go. And if some of you do, come back in here and tell the story, I'd love to hear about it!
I used to go out to this when I worked in Lexington. Fun enough group and some of the guys like Dean Phillips are absolute monsters.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post

Yes, NEBC (my club) is still running the weekly time trial. Unfortunately, the TT is on hold for a short time, while Lowell Road is under construction. Hopefully, the roads will be in good enough shape to resume either this week or next.