Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2017, 12:28 PM

Thumbs up Cosmic Stallion

Anyone else excited as I am about this?
http://allcitycycles.com/blog

Really hoping it will be a tweaked Spacehorse built with better tubing and maybe carbon fork. Anyone venture to guess details? They already hinted at the color being gold and black.

Of course this comes after I purchased a used Tamland frame that I am having changes made to. If this is as cool as I hope i might end up with more gravel bikes than I want. All City makes beautiful stuff for the price point, and I always wished they would offer a higher end Spacehorse. Looking forward to seeing what this is all about.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:51 PM

Interesting... I like the Space Horse. Its one of the only bikes that speaks to me from their line-up. I think because I feel like its the best executed of their bunch.

I'm curious if they'll take a new approach to the frame design itself and proliferate that down the lineup of Space Horse variants or if they'll keep them separate.

I'm also curious about the modifications you're making to your Tamland. That's another production bike I feel like hits the mark pretty well.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 PM

Considering their naming of their 'nice' versions of preexisting models–Macho Man -> Macho King, for example–I have to imagine this will be a 'nice Space Horse' too. Could be cool!
Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 PM

Yeah, 853 + carbon fork + discs seems like a safe bet.

I bet we'll see something like this, with clearance for full on 27.5" XC MTB tires.

I always thought the black and gold Nature Boy Zona was super sharp. Hopefully the Cosmic Stallion paint scheme holds up.

Last edited by jtbadge; 07-18-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:52 PM

New teaser video out. Shows black paint, Cowbells (maybe Cowchippers?) and a carbon disc fork. Couldn't make out much else.

http://allcitycycles.com/blog/cosmic...s_coming_video
Old 07-19-2017, 02:59 PM

I see curvy seat stays and a ~40-42mm tire.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:52 PM

So it looks like we've got an update on the teaser. I've been wanting to know more about this bike since I've been considering a Randognar style bike.

from all city:
Quote:
For the Cosmic*Staillion*the*tubeset*was engineered with several goals in mind:*

A significant weight savings over our existing 853 frames*

Enhanced bump absorption*

Increased stiffness**

Increased*fatigue life**

So how did we do?

Well, we managed to shave 5oz off our Reynolds 853 built Macho King in the 55cm size, and in testing, the Cosmic Stallion exceeded our requirements by a significant factor.*In fact, after it doubled the amount of required test cycles we simply turned the machines off. (Hey machine time, is expensive and we knew what we had to know!)*This thing*is plenty strong, and*significantly lighter than any disc model we've ever produced.**

It also sports a number of frame features that are firsts for All-City:*

Integrated headset*
Tapered headtube*
New*Signature thru-axle dropout*
Shaped Stays*
Di2 Compatibility**
It sounds like it will have all the bells and whistles that I would want on a grode/grovel bike and i did the math right it will be 2184g

Last edited by panache_mode; 07-27-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 08-02-2017, 08:50 AM

Its here, and its pretty cool.

http://theradavist.com/2017/08/race-...ic-stallion/#1

Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 AM

Now up on the All City website too: http://allcitycycles.com/bikes/cosmic_stallion

Greg
Old 08-02-2017, 09:10 AM

Looks nice... I have my space horse apart right now.

I'd love to replace it with one of the new versions with discs at some point. It doesn't seem like I'm going to break it/need to replace it any time soon though.

They also have another bike that looks new, the "Space Horse Disc - Apex" it must be a nicer build.

The Stallion looks like it's a teeny bit longer but not really much lower than the space horse. Slightly shorter chainstays, slightly less relaxed front end.

edit: The apex version of the Space Horse is just the SRAM version. Yuck. The regular space horse disc has been upgraded from Tiagra to 105, nice.

Last edited by benb; 08-02-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:19 AM

Anybody see this crank before? Specs call it a SRAM "S-390." First four arm crank I've seen from SRAM.

I'm glad the final spec has 50/34 x 11-32 gearing, as they intend it to be an all-day gravel racer. Curious why they didn't just use a matching Rival 22 crank.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:23 AM

Apex moved to four arm for the 1x group as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see more of them.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 AM

I hope the front shifts OK... the reason I've got my Space Horse apart right now is to remove the Rival 10-speed stuff I've got on there.

I got the front shifting working OK once I put my 105 Cranks back on.. but the lever effort was still ridiculous and the shifting goes downhill as the bike gets dirty much much faster than big S.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Wish it fit actual 650b mtb tires (maybe it does "unofficially") and had some sort of rack mounts on the fork but overall this looks really great.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Wish it fit actual 650b mtb tires (maybe it does "unofficially") and had some sort of rack mounts on the fork but overall this looks really great.
Yeah, I would bet on 27.5x2.1, but not sure I'd bet on 2.25. I also agree that forks like these should all have "Anything" cage bosses. It might add 30g, but oh so useful. And to have a proper "under the crown" fender boss. . .