Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2017, 03:19 PM

2 bottles each or 10 bottles each? Did you eat?
I think that, unless you rode around with empty bottles and were pushing so hard you couldn't think of stopping for refills, you drank plenty. 5 guys, 15 mph and then on the way home less than 12mph? That was a long and hard ride for you guys. Do it again this weekend or next. Your diet is sufficient to provide electrolytes for a 5 hour ride. However, I put a pinch of salt in my DIY calorie rich bottles (which annoys my more experienced vegan runner wife). Btw, I'm 59.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Tomorrow I am riding the Terrible Two double century, 18,000ft climbing, and highs are expected to be over 100F on the exposed climbs. Sunday's high is 109F, so we are getting off easy! It will be a struggle.
WOW. Man, you gotta be careful with that,, I don't care how fit or young you are. When in doubt, go slow,, or even stop and get some cool water on your head.

Mike in AR
Old 06-18-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regularguy412 View Post
WOW. Man, you gotta be careful with that,, I don't care how fit or young you are. When in doubt, go slow,, or even stop and get some cool water on your head.

Mike in AR
Well, I survived. Took a small Camelbak, used an ice sock on the hot climbs, lots of Endurolytes and liquids, no solid food. It took an hour longer than my typical time, but I don't think I have ever finished a double century so well hydrated. On the negative side, I got saddle sores from all that melting ice soaking my shorts.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:54 PM

Lots of good advice here, but also, WEAR SUNSCREEN!! Being burned can make the dehydration feel much much worse.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Tomorrow I am riding the Terrible Two double century, 18,000ft climbing, and highs are expected to be over 100F on the exposed climbs. Sunday's high is 109F, so we are getting off easy! It will be a struggle.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Every day I ride (this time of year) is like those conditions. 92 today with high humidity. I usually ride in the 30-40 mile range. And I'm 76 and the guys I ride with are in their 70's also. I usually ride with one large bottle of weak Gatorade and one large bottle of water. Usually eat fig bars at half way point. Refill bottles at half way point.

For 50 miles....only change I would make is probably two bottles of stronger Gatorade.....so can refill with water and still have some Gatorade in bottle, and might eat some salty chips with my fig bars.

For 80-100 miles or so in this weather.....would do above mostly....probably buy some Gatorade along the way....would have a Coke about 80 miles, a Snickers bar maybe, and lots of salty chips and nuts. Basically I just eat and drink my way thru hot weather rides. Ride on sugar and whatever is in fig bars, and replenish salt. Usually no issues after...and I'm 76. (well....butt hurts) The reason I replenish salt from food in this kind of weather is because I know no sports drink contains enough salt to replenish what I sweat out.....if it did...would make you sick.....like drinking sea water.

BTW....It's hard to do 50 mile rides in heat...if you don't do 50 mile rides occasionally. Sounds to me like you just need to keep doing what you are doing....maybe more often.

Last edited by Ralph; 06-18-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:37 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

HTFU.

This is my coach, John Allis. It's 94 degree out, and he's still wearing tights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Allis.jpg (85.1 KB, 46 views)