Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
It's true, it's true! I live in the flats south of Ventura. I'll be driving in the valley in 106 degree heat, and the temperature starts to drop after I cross Ventura. By the time I get home the car says 96. I swear on my mother's ashes...
If you think 96F is cool we have very different internal thermostats.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
If you think 96F is cool we have very different internal thermostats.

I'll second that! Maybe I am just spoiled, but anything over the mid 80's is getting pretty hot to exercise in. Ken lives in area that has a very mild climate as do I.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:41 AM

We're strongly leaning toward Sherman Oaks since it's close to places we can keep horses (Shadow Hills/LA Equestrian Center, etc...) Glad to hear that it's not the LA equivalent of living in Manhattan and your choices of routes is pretty limited.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM

I actually lead a group ride out of North Hollywood!
Were called Tribe Ride
Old 08-11-2017, 05:31 PM

Spending a week renting a house in Hancock Park / Larchmont area. Checks all our boxes except for cycling. Although I did do a spin class led by a part-time model in the Village yesterday
Old 08-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Spending a week renting a house in Hancock Park / Larchmont area. Checks all our boxes except for cycling. Although I did do a spin class led by a part-time model in the Village yesterday
FYI, they are all part time models...

Hancock Park is a bit tougher for cycling, but it can be done. I commuted from Paramount Pictures in Hollywood to Beverly Hills for many years going through Hancock Park.

Hit me up if you need any help. Or, if you want to ride. Or if you need suggestions of any kind.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 PM
needs adult supervision

Hancock Park/Larchmont has incredible housing stock. My best friend owned an incredible Queen Anne Victorian in HP with a ballroom and a car turntable in the driveway. Because of the houses, I bet more commercials and films are shot there than most any other neighborhood in LA. That said, riding from HP would, I think, bum you out. You'd love your house but hate your rides.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 PM

^trees determine where the shoots happens. surprisingly, neighborhoods in the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys (Pasadena, South Pasadena) see more film days.

as for the part time models, they're all part time since there's no haute couture in Los Angeles.

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-11-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Hancock Park/Larchmont has incredible housing stock. My best friend owned an incredible Queen Anne Victorian in HP with a ballroom and a car turntable in the driveway. Because of the houses, I bet more commercials and films are shot there than most any other neighborhood in LA. That said, riding from HP would, I think, bum you out. You'd love your house but hate your rides.
I think one of my friends father owned that house many years ago. He bought and sold often, so I'm not sure he lived there for a very long time.

Hancock Park can double for so many cities, it is used quite often for filming. I spent many a day-evening-night shooting in and around Hancock Park over the years.

And yeah, riding there is not great, but if you can meander your way to Venice Blvd ( which has a bike lane ) you will be at the beach in just a few miles. Once there...beach volleyball women in bikini's...Need I say more?
Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
^trees determine where the shoots happens. surprisingly, neighborhoods in the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys (Pasadena, South Pasadena) see more film days.

as for the part time models, they're all part time since there's no haute couture in Los Angeles.
Trees, huh? I always thought what determines a practical location were many factors, the outside look just being one of them. Budget, look of location ( both interior and exterior ) ability to film in that location ( permitting, neighborhood compliance and the ability to park equipment and crew). Also, how big the practical location is. These would just be a few of the factors. Night shooting calls into play many other factors, but that's an entire different conversation.

In the 37 years I worked on locations all over Los Angeles, trees have only been a factor on one of the many tv shows I worked on. But, again this was only one factor in deciding the locations for this show.

Not sure where you get your facts regarding shoot days and locations, but the last 6 years of my career I worked on a tv show called The Mentalist. We work on practical location 3 to 4 days out of an 8 day episode. We maybe shot in the valleys a 1/4 of the time. We were all over, from San Pedro to Fillmore.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:38 PM

Steve, you know a street with palm trees and mostly stuccoed homes can't stand in for Iowa. That's all I meant. In any case, it's ironic that streets where the average home is 3 mil plus can be the setting for a middle class sitcom (Leave It to Beaver). Hollywood (Hancock Park) is so weird.

http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhood.../hancock-park/

http://www.realtor.com/local/Hancock...Los-Angeles_CA

Hancock Park Housing Market
$2.5M Median Listing Price
$778 Price per Square Foot
$2.6M Median Closing Price

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-11-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 PM
needs adult supervision

I've shot more TV spots than I can remember and I never once shot in the Valley. I'm talking decades and never in the Valley. We picked our own locations and no one wanted to schlepp to the Valley. We picked locations based on: look; permits; company moves; schlepp from the hotel; and where we could eat lunch if we hated catering.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
I've shot more TV spots than I can remember and I never once shot in the Valley. I'm talking decades and never in the Valley. We picked our own locations and no one wanted to schlepp to the Valley. We picked locations based on: look; permits; company moves; schlepp from the hotel; and where we could eat lunch if we hated catering.
Working out of Warner Brothers ( last 10 years of my career ), we shot in the valley on occasion, but there are so many factors that went into the locations, proximity to the studio was only one of them.

Again, we shot from San Pedro all the way to Simi Valley to Fillmore to Pasadena to Westlake Village. And, a couple times a season we would go outside the 30 mile zone and shoot in the high desert ( Palmdale and Lancaster ).

LA has so many looks, great weather and amazing crews and equipment. There is no better place to shoot!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
LA has so many looks, great weather and amazing crews and equipment. There is no better place to shoot!
Could not agree more! Best crews without a doubt. I shot in the high desert too. Amazing light up there. Filmed many a car in Inyokern.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I know something about LAUSD. My wife is in house counsel for them. She travels to many of their schools and administration buildings all over Los Angeles. When I say all over, I mean it! It's a really big school district. Second largest in the country.
Small world! Two of my colleagues previously worked as in-house counsel for LAUSD. Both focused on real estate law for the LAUSD law department. One was lead counsel for the facilities legal services section with legal oversight over all their school construction projects. If you're wife has worked there a while, I'm sure she knows them.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 08-11-2017 at 09:43 PM.