Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Bontrager Charger TLR Flash (Experiences)

My pump is nearing the end of its life--it is a cheaper Bontrager model bought back in 2008, but it has been great. Now the head mechanism and seals are starting to go.

Since I'm running tubeless on my rock lobster, the Bontrager TLR Flash charger caught my eye as a potential replacement. Does anyone have any feedback on this pump? Is it an overall good pump? Does it really work for inflating tubeless? Is it worth the expense or other tradeoffs for better pumps over just using a CO2 each time?

Thank you in advance for the feedback and help!
Old 07-06-2016, 02:38 PM

interested

I would be interested in owner reviews as well. I have been looking at that pump for well over a year now ans have not bought it. I have read a few reviews by bicycle magazines etc that give it a thumbs up. But still, a frank review from a owner would be appreciated!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:42 PM

Great for seating tubeless tires. Has worked every time for me.

It sucks as an everyday pump. Reason being, say your tire on the bike has 60psi in it and you just need to top it off. Attach the pump head and half of your air in the tires goes into the pump to fill up the chamber. Now you're down to 30psi. So then you pump up to what PSI you need, say 80, and if you don't close the chamber, all 80PSI in the chamber comes blasting out. Theres no bypass for the chamber.

To combat this I've just been leaving whatever air is left from previous top up in the chamber. Not sure if this is bad for seals, but makes it somewhat like a normal pump to use.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 PM

I would generally agree with chrispino. Has worked great every time for setting up tubeless. A little more work when used as an everyday pump. I tend to grab my other pumps for every day use. But when I am heading to a mountain bike weekend or something, I always grab the Bontrager as it can help with any tire issues.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I have the Joe blow version. Pricey but it's been great. It has a bypass so it works well as a regular pump too.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:13 PM

Ditto what Crispino stated. It allowed me to sell my pancake air compressor. For everyday, I use a Joe Blow Sport.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
I have the Joe blow version. Pricey but it's been great. It has a bypass so it works well as a regular pump too.
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. @Dude--on the bypass, (Topeak's website isn't clear), does that mean you don't have the same issue with the tires deflating to the chamber when re-filling regular tires? If so, that seems it would be a decent every day pump too?
Old 07-07-2016, 02:52 PM

for xmas last year i asked for the airshot canister (another $100) so that i could seat my krampus's 29x3" tires in the comfort of my own yard. this is a bit less expensive than the bontrager (if you already have a regular floor pump) but you get the best of both worlds without always having to pump through the chamber - the pump is just a regular pump. but it is really nice to have the spare chamber to know i can always seat tire beads and tubeless-ify all my bikes. think about it - how much do you pay a shop to do this every time? not to mention the time, energy, and cost of driving there with your bike crap in the car. i highly recommend the airshot, it's light enough to bring on rides!! and it's not made by trek...
Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM

For what the Bonty pump costs, it makes more sense to me to have an electric compressor. You should be able to get a pretty reasonable one for $120 and then you could use it on your car as well.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:20 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

These videos helped demonstrate how it works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SRjOJui80k and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r20peQh3VtU

The pump has a switch. When the switch is in "charge" position, pumping will inflate the booster chamber. When the switch is in the "inflate" position it works like a regular pump.

I've filled 3 sets of tires on 2 wheelsets and it worked the first time every time.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:13 AM

Thank you--all. I'm holding off as long as possible. Will report back if I make the plunge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2016, 07:27 AM

Lezyne Pressure Overdrive available soon

Another option - Lezyne should have their version available soon as well. It has a bypass that allows it to be used as a floor pump w/o charging the canister

https://youtu.be/06W2tV6IsdY
Old 08-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Bike Guy

The Pricey Blackburn Option

Anyone have experience with one of these?

https://www.blackburndesign.com/pump...loor-pump.html

I wonder if all of their stuff is still backed by the lifetime warranty. Makes it an attractive option as well.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

I can't comment on the Bontranger but I have one of the specialized tanks (not a full pump, its just a tank, I use my normal pump to put air on it and then it inflates tubeless tires), works very well and its cheaper than anything else out there.

I prefer this, have my choice of pump and then the tank.