Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadguy View Post

However as far as stories, photographic material, gentlemen ride events, I love what Rapha does for the story of cycling. And I do enjoy that even if that's where all their value as a brand comes from in the eyes of most.
Where Rapha deserves credit is for demonstrating to lot of folks they
don't have to dress in Pro-Team clothing. In the Armstrong era there were
so many non-racers wearing pro kit that it seemed like this was the way
that cyclists had to dress.

Rapha was instrumental in changing this attitude, right idea, right place, right time.

-g
Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Um, Grant, I didn't need Rapha to tell me that wearing pro-looking team kit was not the only way to ride, and I don't think any of the guys I've ridden with did either.

Let's face it, they're just a different type of cool. There's the pro-look cool and there's the Rapha-look cool. Same thing thing, just different brand of designer jeans. If it's your thing and you like them and they work for you, then knock yourself out, wear them as much as you like.

Last edited by Louis; 07-15-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

My favorite bike clothing company might be Louis Garneau though.. their stuff is reasonably priced and every piece of it I have has lasted forever. I have a jersey of theirs that I paid just under $100 for in regular rotation that I bought in 2001.. it hasn't even faded or frayed at all. (Not sure their more recent stuff is as good though)
I also really like the Garneau jerseys I have but you're the first person I can remember ever saying the same.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Perception from someone who's never owned either and spends 0 time shopping either:

Rapha = fashion

Assos = function

Oversimplified, of course, because I'm sure both have both, but that's what it boils down to in my mind.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Rapha didn't even sell any women's clothing the first few years they were in business. They finally realized that they were ignoring a significant market share.
At least they jumped in to the deep end and make it a point of emphasis.

I think they real reason haters hate Rapha is they don't offer a cuckoo penthouse in their bib shorts.

I love both, and the marketing of both is appealing to me - Rapha for traditonalism and Assos for technical sophistication. Both make very comfortable bib shorts, and I like Rapha jerseys when the temps are in the 70's and below.

I also own a lot of Castelli gear - they have always seemed like the cool guys and also technically advanced. Their nano fabrics are great for shedding rain, keeping me dry, and not feeling like I'm wearing a plastic bag. Hiring the Grubers to shoot the pictures for their ad campaigns and catalogues was a great call.

BTW, a few years ago, my wife told me that most cyclists looked like idiots wearing team gear and trying to look pro. She prefers my Rapha kit because it's not glaring.

Last edited by tiretrax; 07-15-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Um, Grant, I didn't need Rapha to tell me that wearing pro-looking team kit was not the only way to ride, and I don't think any of the guys I've ridden with did either.
I wasn't suggesting y'all did. Nice to know you are on the cutting edge.

When I was the buyer for a large multi-location cycling retailer here in
Southern Ontario, we saw a definite shift in sales, the trend less team clothing,
and more black & white and muted colours the style Rapha pioneered.

-g
Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McLean View Post
I wasn't suggesting y'all did. Nice to know you are on the cutting edge.
I try to stay as far away from the cutting edge as I can.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Last edited by professerr; 03-16-2024 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
Rapha for traditonalism
But if they really aren't that old (2004) then IMO it's simply a marketing gimmick.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM

Why do people hate Rapha more than Assos?

I don't care about the marketing at all, although Assos' tech specs/product listings are hard to crack. Some sort of Enigma machine required?

However, once you've been in a pair of their bibs you will 'chafe' at wearing anything else. And the cold gear puts me on the road 10-12 days in the winter when before it was trainer or wonder ··· I'm doing outside. Enough said.

I picked up a used lightweight Rapha jersey in white here to see what the fuss is about. Its good. But I guess now I've got to wonder what the combo says to others ;-) ? Not!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Assos has made precisely one thing I've been disappointed in, and that's a pair of winter gloves. Everything else I own from them -- bibs, a winter jacket, a couple jerseys -- are all my go-to bits for any big rides throughout the year.

That being said, the Rapha stuff is a solid second, and their aesthetic can be easier to handle that whatever cutting edge European hallucinogens the Swiss have in their design shop these days.

Its all good stuff.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
We wore Assos in the mid 80s I am pretty sure.
It replaced Descente as the cool go-to duds.

ps

arrange disorder

I remember those days...but I couldn't afford Assos then...stuck with Descente, but I remember the vibe. Now, it's all Assos for me.
I recall seeing the 7-11 team wearing Descente bib shorts validating for us that we were wearing the cool stuff.

Last edited by mgm777; 07-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:05 PM

RE: Assos. For a company that makes really, really expensive stuff, their marketing efforts are incredibly clumsy and contrived. Eg:

Quote:
In the real world, there
are 50 million cyclists,
but only a very few
can join Manga.Yio.
Qualify yourself & join!
In the course of a one’s life, one reaches various levels and
hopefully passes onto the next.
The higher the level, the more difficult it becomes to move up
(please use your imagination):
Level 0 birth
Level 1 party, party
Level 2 sex
Level 3 show time
Level 4 knowledge
Then, the privileged one’s,
move on to
Level 5 wisdom
For normal people, that is the top level of life.
But a selected few cyclists go on to explore the ultimate
dimension of inner-balance: Level 13

The understanding that a “little thing” called riding your bicycle
is the key to personal fulfillment and well-being!
- Living a life of luxury does not require millions.
- It’s not about lifestyle, it’s about health status.
- Details don’t matter anymore.
- A world ruled by concentrated, pure emotions.
- An environment reduced to the essence.
- Communication without talking.
- No interferences, no hold ups; everything tuned to your personal frequency.
- And whatever you do, it just feels perfect.
Manga.Yio – where YOU determine the pace of the ride.
And than it all comes together. Magic the perfect RIDE!
ASSOS welcomes you!
Manga.Yio? With a full stop in between because full stops are sahhhh web2.0.

Fire the dude who thought that was a clever idea! Talk about a way to rapidly cheapen a premium brand with cheap marketing copy.

Personally a lot of the Rapha kit doesn't hit the mark for me. I like the Pro Team kit, and I like their jackets.

Don't own any Assos. Marketing aside, I don't know why... the stuff just doesn't appeal to me and Rapha and a few other local brands are 'good enough'.

Last edited by jimoots; 07-15-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McLean View Post
Where Rapha deserves credit is for demonstrating to lot of folks they
don't have to dress in Pro-Team clothing. In the Armstrong era there were
so many non-racers wearing pro kit that it seemed like this was the way
that cyclists had to dress.

Rapha was instrumental in changing this attitude, right idea, right place, right time.

-g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

Let's face it, they're just a different type of cool. There's the pro-look cool and there's the Rapha-look cool. Same thing thing, just different brand of designer jeans. If it's your thing and you like them and they work for you, then knock yourself out, wear them as much as you like.

I'm with you Louis. Didn't need rapha to tell me it was OK to wear non team kit.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM

It continually amazes me the amount of time some people on this forum waste complaining about Rapha. It makes me wonder if these people spend most of their life complaining about things instead of focusing on the positive. If you don't like Rapha then don't buy Rapha products - end of story.

I am probably too much of a consumer and I care about everything I buy. Cars, bikes, clothes, bike clothes, furniture, watches and on and on. I like things I really like even if they cost more. I hate buying things I don't like even if they are less expensive.

I don't like everything made by any company. I like Assos bibs and like the jersey I have, but do not like most of the Assos jersey designs. They don't make large enough socks for me and the leg warmers were horrible. Also, I like my Assos winter glove system.

I have one pair of Rapha bibs which are fine and two long sleeve jerseys and three short sleeve jerseys which are great. I like the simple designs and tasteful stripes - in most cases. I don't waste my time looking at yak items. I don't care where items are made if they are made well. Made in USA is no guarantee of quality.

Again, focus on the positive.

I just got a call as I was writing this reply from my wife that she has malignant melanoma on her face. This really makes you think about what a waste all the negative Rapha talk is. And what a waste negativity is in general.

Jeff