Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
And for me, the stuff I've bought from Assos actually works. Like jerseys that wick and stuff like that.
But doesn't this quickly devolve into some pretty first-world arguments, if we are talking about whether Assos's $400 bibs wick better than Rapha's $250 bibs? I'd guess PI's $69 bibs also wick better than wool from 1968. And just like shoes, gloves and bike geometry, the Assos fit and function will work better for some people than Rapha (and vice versa).

All that said, I'd probably agree that Rapha isn't the first company I think of when I think of revolutionary apparel, but then I'm not a first adopter, either. So "comfortable, stylish and functional" for me don't necessarily equate to "next generation design and technology." But I get what you're saying: someone who expects innovation at that price point might be disappointed.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM

Assos cool. Rapha not (unless you are >50).
Old 07-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Why do people hate True Religion more than Levis? True religion are way fancier!

vs.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:39 PM

There is no world in which Assos is akin to Levis. Nope, none. You'd have to bend space and time to make them even close.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
But doesn't this quickly devolve into some pretty first-world arguments, if we are talking about whether Assos's $400 bibs wick better than Rapha's $250 bibs?
Maybe, but I think there are pieces of Assos clothing that substantially outperform their Rapha counterparts (where I've owned both) - winter hats, jerseys, socks, winter jackets. There are also pieces where the difference is negligible - winter tights, baselayers. But Assos has a much higher "hit" rate for me.

Now, I admit, some people like the 30 wool/70 poly jerseys from Rapha, but I find them totally hopeless. In that matter, de gustibus non disputandum est.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Ok, True Religion vs. Outlier? But the point was, there's no accounting for taste.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Now, I admit, some people like the 30 wool/70 poly jerseys from Rapha, but I find them totally hopeless. In that matter, de gustibus non disputandum est.
This may be the most sensible thing ever written in any Rapha-related post on this forum or anywhere else.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 PM

if rapha just marketed its clothes without the backstory/lifestyle, would they be as successful as they are now?

while that's the point of marketing, i would venture a guess assos would sell with limited to no advertising based on quality reputation alone. they've been at top of food chain for decades.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastforaSlowGuy View Post
This may be the most sensible thing ever written in any Rapha-related post on this forum or anywhere else.
The antecedent of the "them" in that sentence was "some people" not "jerseys." See, we can still court controversy!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj View Post
Assos cool. Rapha not (unless you are >50).
Assos is not cool at all.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Has the founder of Assos ever gone on the record saying his mission statement was to produce more expensive clothes?

Because that recent interview with the Rapha founder had stated his reason for founding the company was him wanting to spend more money on bike stuff but there wasn't expensive enough stuff on the market.

That says a lot for me.. that and I don't automatically think wool is superior to synthetics.

Assos prices are mostly ridiculous to me too, but I do have 2 pairs of their bibs.. they might not be the perfect bib for me but they are in their 4th season and only just starting to show any wear (and I have basically rode about 5 days a week with only those 2 pairs of shorts), so at $200 their value has been pretty good compared to most of the other brands I've tried (PI, Santini, Castelli, etc..) that cost between $100-200 and fall apart in 1-2 seasons.

My favorite bike clothing company might be Louis Garneau though.. their stuff is reasonably priced and every piece of it I have has lasted forever. I have a jersey of theirs that I paid just under $100 for in regular rotation that I bought in 2001.. it hasn't even faded or frayed at all. (Not sure their more recent stuff is as good though)
Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
if rapha just marketed its clothes without the backstory/lifestyle, would they be as successful as they are now?

while that's the point of marketing, i would venture a guess assos would sell with limited to no advertising based on quality reputation alone. they've been at top of food chain for decades.
And here's where I start getting confused: is the objection to the marketing, or to the clothes? Because I find Assos's marketing sort of ridiculous (again, that guy in those glasses - not something I'd want to emulate), but I do love my shorts. And whatever I think of Rapha's marketing, I have a few pieces from them that I love.

But I do think that marketing can be a barrier for folks. If I didn't have my Assos bibs before seeing the weird Assos marketing campaign, I might hesitate to buy said bibs. Similarly, I was sorta "meh" about a lot of the Rapha marketing, but I'm pretty "yay" about my super lightweight and pro team jerseys.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:00 PM

I've always thought it was interesting that riders will argue/discuss what clothing is best but as soon as they start racing with a team they don't have a choice in the matter. In other words, to the extent that what racers wear is cool, neither Assos nor Rapha can be cool.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:02 PM

Verge rocks.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonW87 View Post
I've always thought it was interesting that riders will argue/discuss what clothing is best but as soon as they start racing with a team they don't have a choice in the matter.
What do you mean? I picked my team based on the fact that they had Castelli kit. I _only_ race in a Sanremo Speedsuit. A man has to have standards!