Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
How about corticosteroids like prednisone (commonly given for all sorts of inflammatory and auto-immune conditions from asthma to bursitis)?

A lot of us older riders will have been prescribed such at one time or another, are we allowed to race while on it?
www.globaldro.org
Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post
How to kill your sport in one easy step...
You just NAILED it IMO.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Dosage.
The amount and prolonged usage of prednisone can really mess you up.

I have a prednisone prescription for bee stings. The rare times I've used it, felt no difference.
The dosage matters.

If you're using these steroids in the amounts these athletes are getting popped, than you really would be too sick to race.
Kenakort? Come on. Lets be real. That is just straight up doping.
Clenbuterol from eating beef. In America. Enough to get popped? Laughable.
If you're talking about the prednisone I mentioned, don't bother making any presumptions please!
A lot of people literally get their lives back using levels of prednisone dosage that are too low to even have been considered for prescription so many years ago.
Prednisone at the 5mg or lower level still leaves the adrenals free to regulate cortisol, so no side effects at all other than desired results would be common even over perhaps years of use.
Just ask any patient of deadly asthma or crippling PMR!

Heart-attack, GCA and other patients given 40+mg/day of prednisone suffer many serious complications, too many to list!

I just wondered what level of dosage might be against rules.
The globaldro.org website proved useless in answering the question.

Last edited by dddd; 08-13-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:01 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
All true. The other side are the drugs that don't directly improve physical performance but enhance race-day performance. I'm talking about finish bottles with pain killers and anti-inflammatories. All easily and legally obtained.
so, when I'm 75miles into my local club century and I pop a couple of ibuprofen (Vitamin I), I'm doping??? Honestly, I'm just trying to finish!

please...so, this dude gets 4 years...he's not the first to dope and probably a many other douchebags out there doing it. I agree, its killing the sport, but isn't just another reason to not enter these contests in the first place? The real growth in cycling isn't from the racers, its folks going out and challenging themselves to go the distance and improve their individual performance. What's killing the sport is the hyper-competitive mentalities.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:46 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
If you're talking about the prednisone I mentioned, don't bother making any presumptions please!
A lot of people literally get their lives back using levels of prednisone dosage that are too low to even have been considered for prescription so many years ago.
Prednisone at the 5mg or lower level still leaves the adrenals free to regulate cortisol, so no side effects at all other than desired results would be common even over perhaps years of use.
Just ask any patient of deadly asthma or crippling PMR!

Heart-attack, GCA and other patients given 40+mg/day of prednisone suffer many serious complications, too many to list!

I just wondered what level of dosage might be against rules.
The globaldro.org website proved useless in answering the question.
That's what I was saying but obviously not very clearly.

To get popped for ketakort or corticorsteroids, they are taking some large doses. If they were sick enough to require those doses, they should be bedridden.

5mg won't do anything but I don't konw if it's technically against racing rules. If it's needed, than that is what a TUE is for. There is no problem if you want to race and are legitimately using prednisone. The levels prescribed for medical reasons won't enhance performance.

USCF racing, you can write and submit for exemption.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
...What's killing the sport is the hyper-competitive mentalities.
When a racing sanction puts on an event for all ages titled "Nationals", which in most cases involves extensive planning, travel and expense to participate in, it seems to go without saying that this venue is targeting the most competitive individuals. I'm certainly not motivated to fly out of state to race my bike, but enough people are to make such a venue profitable.
Since this is a business model that depends heavily on attendance/participation numbers, the anti-doping rules would seem to be in place to prevent paying participantss from being discouraged by their competitor's PED use and thus not attending.

As far as road racing being seen to be in decline, as a 'cross racer I understand the shift of attendance from road to cross, I prefer the shorter season, shorter races and shorter drive times and thus expenses in terms of time and money, and likely the smaller total investment helps keep me from taking amateur bicycle racing too seriously.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
That's what I was saying but obviously not very clearly.

To get popped for ketakort or corticorsteroids, they are taking some large doses. If they were sick enough to require those doses, they should be bedridden.

5mg won't do anything but I don't konw if it's technically against racing rules. If it's needed, than that is what a TUE is for. There is no problem if you want to race and are legitimately using prednisone. The levels prescribed for medical reasons won't enhance performance.

USCF racing, you can write and submit for exemption.
Yeah, I'll probably not ever get drug tested racing B55+ 'cross anyway.

For certain chronic/persistent conditions, the very-low doses of corticosteroids like prednisone make all the difference in the world as far as one's mobility and energy levels. But I can't see taking it for sports performance even as these same very-low dosages do seem to be effective at alleviating post-training stiffness and inflammation. I do also very much appreciate as a good side-effect that my highly-uncomfortable bi-annual allergies in my home region are seriously held in check with even very low dosages of the pred.

Pred is a miracle drug from the 1950's that is also very cheap, so no worries at all about your physician or rheumatologist getting bonuses for prescribing it.
My rheumatologist is long past prescribing the amount I should take, since he knows that I will take as little as possible based on my fluctuating, real-time needs. I am free to order refills without any consultation, always hoping each refill might be my last.
Pred is also often good for aged animals that have lost their mobility, improving their end-of-life years. I'm not that old myself!