Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Spending a week renting a house in Hancock Park / Larchmont area. Checks all our boxes except for cycling. Although I did do a spin class led by a part-time model in the Village yesterday
My wife weighed in on this thread and thinks Hancock Park has great LAUSD schools. John Burroughs Middle School is what she suggested, of course, depending on his age.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 AM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Steve, you know a street with palm trees and mostly stuccoed homes can't stand in for Iowa. That's all I meant. In any case, it's ironic that streets where the average home is 3 mil plus can be the setting for a middle class sitcom (Leave It to Beaver). Hollywood (Hancock Park) is so weird.
It works because a $3 million house in LA is probably a $3-400k house in Iowa or most other states in the middle of the country.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
It works because a $3 million house in LA is probably a $3-400k house in Iowa or most other states in the middle of the country.
Do you get this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...20775026_zpid/

Or this : https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...20775697_zpid/

for $3-400k?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:41 PM

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...20775026_zpid/

Considering that lot is nearly 30,000 sq ft in the most beautiful neighborhood within 15 min of DTLA, the Muirfield estate is a bargain by California standards.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Considering that lot is nearly 30,000 sq ft in the most beautiful neighborhood within 15 min of DTLA, the Muirfield estate is a bargain by California standards.
Considering what I just paid for a 918 sq ft condo at the beach, its bargain basement cheap!!!
Old 08-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:

incredible!

one day...
Old 08-13-2017, 03:47 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Considering what I just paid for a 918 sq ft condo at the beach, its bargain basement cheap!!!
At around $620/square foot, compared to NYC Metro that is not unreasonable. Right in line with Nassau County suburban prices although a larger lot size is harder to get and would boost the square foot number considerably for a comparable property here. The $28K property tax is reasonable too, the same kinda house in NYC burbs will be pushing $50K depending on the town. NYC Metro costs what it costs. BTW Manhattan apartment square footage cost runs about twice that of the Muirfield.

But my point isn't square foot cost, it's the idea that it is under priced compared to other homes in the neighbourhood. If it is underpriced then any buyer has gotta figure out why it is underpriced and what the tradeoff is as factored into the sale price of the property. There are no giveaways in real estate, least of all in desirable areas.

In a lotta real estate markets, it seems like things are finally coming off the boil, but it IMO is a breather before the next run up and not a bubble. Money is cheap but not on the curve to get cheaper.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:11 PM

The Muirfield property is very close to Wilshire Blvd. so there will be some traffic noise and there is a multi-story building (offices?) looming over its back yard so there are some negatives concerning "location, location, location". Still a nice house in a nice neighborhood.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:21 PM
It An't Me Babe

Yeah, if a property can be considered a "bargain", then the buyers job is to figure out why that is. And to decide if the discount is what they can accept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The Muirfield property is very close to Wilshire Blvd. so there will be some traffic noise and there is a multi-story building (offices?) looming over its back yard so there are some negatives concerning "location, location, location". Still a nice house in a nice neighborhood.
There's your answer. The most inescapable, immutable and primary law in all of real estate: the three L's.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:42 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
^trees determine where the shoots happens. surprisingly, neighborhoods in the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys (Pasadena, South Pasadena) see more film days.

as for the part time models, they're all part time since there's no haute couture in Los Angeles.
LOL true words Beeatnik
Old 08-13-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
LOL true words Beeatnik
Which part of Beeatniks words do you think are true? Trees or models?...
Old 01-31-2018, 11:18 AM

Looks like I'll be living in West Hollywood next month, roughly near Fairfax and Santa Monica. I'll have a road bike, a cross bike, and maybe an MTB.

How bad is the riding gonna be?

Any solid group rides that start within a few miles?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:25 AM

We're house hunting just east of there (we want to be within walking distance to Larchmont Village) and I've resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be able to get to a quality ride for the first 20-30 minutes. In short, my road riding will be nonexistent.

For you, Santa Monica Blvd into Beverly Hills going toward the coast is a pretty busy road and locals will chime in but aside from riding up in the hills you're going to have to deal with pretty much the ground zero of urban riding. It might not be as bad as riding in K-town or downtown but still, very crowded.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Looks like I'll be living in West Hollywood next month, roughly near Fairfax and Santa Monica. I'll have a road bike, a cross bike, and maybe an MTB.

How bad is the riding gonna be?

Any solid group rides that start within a few miles?
Ride Nichols Canyon on your own or with LaGrange on Sundays. The ride rolls right by you.

https://www.lagrange.org/nichols/

Also, early mornings and afternoons, you can easily take Franklin through Silver Lake through Highland Park through Pasadena/La Canada and be at the base of Highway 2. After 75 minutes of riding, a 20 mile uninterrupted climb awaits...if you're into that kind of thing.

You'd follow the last part of the route below, from "Whitley Heights" to the border of Highland Park/Pasadena; it's 40 min. From there to ACH, you're looking at another half hour to 45 minutes, depending on your fitness.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1376583941

Last edited by beeatnik; 01-31-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM
#RYFB

What Beeatnik said…

I'm not a huge fan of the Nichols ride but there are a number of dead end canyons to climb between Nichols and Bel Air (some people refer to the "5 bitches of Beverly Hills"). For a visiting Aussie clubmate who was staying not far from your location I whipped up the following route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/6629023

You're also reasonably close to Griffith Park, my club has a regular "Pony ride" every Wednesday morning through there, happy to hook you up if you're interested.

All of the good offroad options I know are in the Santa Monica mountains, so you'd have a decent distance to cover to get to them. The good news is that you can do so via some of the above climbs to Mulholland which turns to dirt and offers many branches once you're west of the 405.