Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Speaking of Vacations, does anyone actually own and travel with an RV? Pros and cons? I've resigned to the fact that it's truly cost prohibitive to fly a family of five anywhere, and while minivan travel is good (God bless the Odyssey) maybe an RV would be more fun, down the line..
Not an RV, but we have traveled a lot with a travel trailer. It really is a lifestyle choice. Financially it is definitely cheaper to travel after the initial investment. You get to sleep in your own bed, and eat your own cooked meals. I prefer to spend my evenings sitting by a campfire sipping a glass of wine or beer, as opposed to sitting in a hotel watching tv.

The downsides are obviously the initial cost. We spend about 50 nights a year in our trailer, and it will be a long time before we make up what hotels and meals would cost. Hopefully we can retire in a few years and get to the break even point faster. You also have to consider, upkeep of the unit, insurance, and where you are going to park it when not in use. Some people are intimidated by driving an Rv or pulling a trailer.

Definitely rent first to see if you like the lifestyle.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
Speaking of Vacations, does anyone actually own and travel with an RV? Pros and cons? I've resigned to the fact that it's truly cost prohibitive to fly a family of five anywhere, and while minivan travel is good (God bless the Odyssey) maybe an RV would be more fun, down the line..
I mentioned RV in my post but I should clarify that we're also in the travel trailer camp, we don't have an all in one unit. We tow our trailer all over the place and it's great from the standpoint that you just need to find a campground to overnight on your way to your final stop.
You have your own bed(s), prepare all your own meals, have your own bathroom, etc.

We're also in the 45-50 nights per year range with ours and probably the best thing about it is hitting a state park, spur of the moment, for a weekend of hiking or biking or just hanging out outside.

We have a number of friends who have big motorhomes from something like the Winnebago Braves all the way up to a Newell Coach. They all flat tow a second vehicle with them and also have engine and drivetrain maintenance on an extra vehicle. I know the Braves with a V10 gasser don't do all that well on fuel so they're not cheap to run around in. Something like a Newell will run you 6 grand just to do tires and entry prices even well used are in the 500k to million range.

I'd also suggest renting an RV just to see. My only advice is be careful as it's a ton of fun and you may end up really wanting one.

This is a picture of our current set up. We're looking at going to a 5th wheel that's a bit bigger next spring.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:28 AM

What a wide spectrum there is in what each of us considers a "vacation". As i think about this, I have more or less two vacation modes: one is to rest, relax, "recreate"; the other is to do and to see. Without question, the first is my favorite. Like Redir above, I hate crowds, lines, and being a tourist. If we travel, I'd rather pick a spot or two, and spend some time. We're headed to Italy in Oct for two weeks and will move once.
Years ago I dreamed of buying an RV and doing 4 week road trips with the kids, no daily agenda. But one fateful summer I took some scouts to Lake Powell, a lake that sits at the east end of the Grand Canyon. Two friends had purchased shares in a houseboat and we based from that. I've been hooked since 1995. Since then we added one other partner and the four of us have owned 4 different boats, had three of them built for us. There is no place my kids, or grand kids (though if taken in a weak moment, Disneyland may get a vote or three from the latter crowd) would rather be than on this lake. It is truly like no place on earth. I've run into folks that come annually from Germany to rent a houseboat and spend a week, lots of folks from France when we where there last week. If you do water at all, try mixing it with the Grand Canyon for a week, you just might find yourself hooked.

A little early morning ride up the canyon on water smooth as glass, feels like flying:

La Gorce arch up the Escalante River:

If you ever get the chance, go. It's the one place I can go and sit and watch the sun, the skies and the stars do their dance with mother earth, and never want to be somewhere else.

sorry if this sounds, looks like a promo...stuff this good, heaped up and running over, you just have to share
Old 08-11-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
I mentioned RV in my post but I should clarify that we're also in the travel trailer camp, we don't have an all in one unit. We tow our trailer all over the place and it's great from the standpoint that you just need to find a campground to overnight on your way to your final stop.
You have your own bed(s), prepare all your own meals, have your own bathroom, etc.

We're also in the 45-50 nights per year range with ours and probably the best thing about it is hitting a state park, spur of the moment, for a weekend of hiking or biking or just hanging out outside.

We have a number of friends who have big motorhomes from something like the Winnebago Braves all the way up to a Newell Coach. They all flat tow a second vehicle with them and also have engine and drivetrain maintenance on an extra vehicle. I know the Braves with a V10 gasser don't do all that well on fuel so they're not cheap to run around in. Something like a Newell will run you 6 grand just to do tires and entry prices even well used are in the 500k to million range.

I'd also suggest renting an RV just to see. My only advice is be careful as it's a ton of fun and you may end up really wanting one.

This is a picture of our current set up. We're looking at going to a 5th wheel that's a bit bigger next spring.

I've gotta ease my wife into the idea of camping -- i've never really done it either, but have always wanted to and will try to car camp before the end of the year (solo).. I just don't think she's sold on the whole on the ground/outside thing, so a camper would be cool.

But of course then there's the buying one (though there are quite a few on craigslist in the low-teens range that seem totally capable, like this one or buying a truck to tow one (though I hear the odyssey has the capability, if properly equipped).

It's a down the line idea, for sure.. but think it could be a ton of fun..
Old 08-11-2017, 11:49 AM

A rock climbing friend has a bumper sticker that says My idea of vacation is your worst nightmare.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:04 PM

Up until 2014, I could never afford to take two weeks off at once. Now that I can, I have done the European vacation thing, which is excellent: one trip to Tuscany and Venice, one trip to Austria and Budapest, one trip to London and Amsterdam, and this year we went to Madrid and Paris. We'll branch out eventually but international travel is still a novelty to us and there is so much in Europe that I have always wanted to see. We find that splitting a trip between two destinations is ideal for us, minimizing transfer days. In the future I'd like to rent a car and drive around England and Scotland for a bit, and start visiting more of the national parks that I haven't seen yet.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:18 PM

...Do you have to put on dive gear to get underwater and scrub gunk off the foundation?

Nope, just enjoy sunrises...

sunrise.jpg
Old 08-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Summer Vacations look like this:

Sailing our boat in our backyard, the beautiful San Juan and Gulf Islands.
Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 08-11-2017, 02:00 PM

We used to head to Deep Creek lake, western MD, for many years. Lately, just having a week to ride my bike, hike with the dog, listen to music and just relax is a great vacation. Unfortunately, my spouse does not quite agree. She is retired but I am still working. Sometimes getting everything together for a trip away is as much stress as working. Once, at the lake, it poured rain every day, all day. I just sat thinking how much money I was spending to be sitting at someone else's house!

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 08-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:18 PM

In the summer I am expected to visit family/parents in Madison, WI. Go for long bike rides out into the countryside to places like Belleville, New Glarus, and Verona. Its heaven.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Gorgeous!

I was just joking about "on" the water (as opposed to on land but adjacent to water).

Meaning, you were on a houseboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
...Do you have to put on dive gear to get underwater and scrub gunk off the foundation?

Nope, just enjoy sunrises...

Attachment 1697944261
Old 08-11-2017, 03:40 PM

Since I was very young, my Dad has taken us all (now is second wife and their kids, and my wife and our kids) camping on the central coast of CA, which just happens to be my favorite place to ride a bike in the world, and my favorite place in general. Each Summer, we do four nights camping and then my wife and kids and I do two nights at the Madonna Inn. If you're note familiar, I highly recommend clicking the link. The place is amazing.

I get to ride stuff like Prefumo Road and Turri Road and even highway 46 or Old Creek Road every single freaking day. It's amazing. I look forward to it all year, even though we typically do a couple of day or overnight trips up this way, this is a week where I fully disconnect from work. It's fantastic.

We do other things too, depending on budget and time constraints, but this is the one annual standby.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Some of my vacation time the last few years has been spent going to Eroica CA and Cino Heroica.

I love to spend time in the mountains, either with the bike or on foot. For me, it's pretty hard to beat spending a few days in a place like this and not seeing another person the entire time.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Riding my bike anywhere fun. Snorkeling. Big game hunting. Golfing. Eating good food. Going to museums. Visiting battle sites. Pretty much anywhere. I like France.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:10 AM

I don't get much time off with grad school and working nearly full time but I was lucky enough growing up to visit some really cool places with the family.

Favorites were Vietnam, Turkey, Belize/Guatemala and a couple week-long raft trips in Idaho.

I've realized over the years that I really like vacations where I get to do my favorite things, just somewhere else. In a few weeks the family is getting together and we're going back to a cabin bordering federal land on the western slope in CO. I get to ride, fly fish, and read as much as I want. The lack of cell phone service is also a huge plus. 10 days of pure enjoyment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk