Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 AM

A lot of my concern is if you have fortified cereal and/or milk you probably just took about 50% of a typical multivitamin right there.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:09 AM
The B!

I get my blood tested frequently, for a condition I have... so I've got fairly current CBC and liver function results pretty much always. For me, the point is to find specific deficiencies we know that I'm prone to, and use that info to determine when and what to supplement. Maybe ask your doctor for some kind of nutritional blood study? Barring a need for a specific nutrient you know you're not getting enough of, I personally have never heard any compelling reason to take vitamins.

I did have a doctor ask me if I took a multivitamin many years ago. I said I did not, and she said "well you need to start. You won't be in your 20s forever," or something to that effect... so I started taking a Centrum multivitamin. It would make me quite nauseated if I didn't have a FULL belly of food, and sometimes would anyway. So I stopped taking them after maybe a month. The topic has come up again since a handful of times, and I've never again had anyone tell me to get on a multivitamin - to include my nutritionist, who said something along the lines of "you'll just pee them all out." She explained that the body actually manufactures or decomposes most of it's nutrients from constituent compounds, and just isn't evolved to recognize or process the raw molecules themselves. Or something like that.

But you know what they say about opinions..