Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 AM

Seiko 5

I have a variety of watches but this is the one I've been wearing for the past year. I wear it while riding. I like having a mechanical timepiece for checking time instead of using my Garmin. The offest crown makes it comfortable while riding.

Last edited by supercharger; 08-10-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:31 AM

I admit to having a watch Jones. Several years ago, I went through the Swiss mechanical watch thing. Then I entered a 12 step program and sold off all of the Swiss except for my Speedmaster Moon Watch. Now I have a handful of Seikos and Citizens. Great watches and value.

For riding, I usually wear either a Ti Skyhawk or my Suunto Observer. But, just for fun, lately I've been wearing this monster.

BTW, sorry for the oversized photos. I just abandoned Photo bucket and am experimenting with Flickr. This hasn't happened on other forums, so I need to figure it out. [Figured it out. Now resized]
IMG_4493r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_4494r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

Last edited by RFC; 08-10-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 AM

None these days.. a wristwatch has basically no utility while riding and they can jangle around (bracelet) and make annoying noises and serve as dead weight. Might as well carry a few grams more tools or something instead.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 AM

Been riding with my Fenix F3HR, and it's fine. But now that I have the Fenix I'm wearing it more for all the tech stuff and almost never wearing any of my other watches. Have to think that through since I do like my watches and stylin' -- which the Fenix really doesn't have....
Old 08-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Do you put the Fenix 3HR on the handlebar?

That's what I did when I had one.. at which point you might as well use a bike computer again instead.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Administrator

my problem with the former generation Fenix watches was their size, way too big for me for daily wear.

enter the fenix 5S. 42mm. perfect. i got the sapphire version and have been loving it. I own a ton of swiss mechanical divers, but this has been getting the bulk of wrist time.

with the right face, it is a pretty normal watch for daily wear.

Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my problem with the former generation Fenix watches was their size, way too big for me for daily wear.

enter the fenix 5S. 42mm. perfect. i got the sapphire version and have been loving it. I own a ton of swiss mechanical divers, but this has been getting the bulk of wrist time.

If and when I get a smart watch, the Fenix 5S is on the top of the list.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:14 AM

Yah I sold my Fenix 3 (non-HR) here on the forum and was planning on picking up a Fenix 5S but then I started getting used to not wearing a watch, and I've got an Edge 1000 for biking that is better than the Fenix 3/5.

I miss some of the features for sure.. I still may pick one up. The F3 irritated my wrist some, I need to wear my Citizen for a while and see if my wrist is better as I have gotten pretty used to not having anything rubbing on my wrist. I could go with a bracelet version of the F5 too.. in the past when I've had watches with Bracelets they bothered my wrist a lot less due to the superior ability to fine adjust the length of the band. The F3 bracelet weighed a ton though and didn't have a very good micro adjust capability.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Do you put the Fenix 3HR on the handlebar?

That's what I did when I had one.. at which point you might as well use a bike computer again instead.
Nope, just left it on my wrist. True confessions, I still ride with my 800 on the bars so I can see it. I rarely look at the F3 while riding, but am intrigued by the "what's my FTP?" app/data field from Xert which doesn't work on the "old" 800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Nice face -- from the IQ store? Which one?

I'd prefer a little smaller face, but not enough to pay up for the F5 right now.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:43 PM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Sinn U1
This was new to me. Did some googling. Very cool watch. Love the look, too.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
This was new to me. Did some googling. Very cool watch. Love the look, too.
I own a few good watches but the U1 is the only one that still looks brand new out of box after 5 years of wear (and I don't baby it)
Old 08-10-2017, 09:30 PM

I like Sinns and have had several, but not the U1, which looks like a great watch.

Here is another watch I would suggest for cycling -- Seiko Solar Chronograph. Yes, very similar to the Sinn 103 including screw down pushers. 60 minute chronograph as opposed to the Sinn 12 hour.

IMG_4453r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Old 11-02-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
I admit to having a watch Jones. Several years ago, I went through the Swiss mechanical watch thing. Then I entered a 12 step program and sold off all of the Swiss except for my Speedmaster Moon Watch. Now I have a handful of Seikos and Citizens. Great watches and value.

For riding, I usually wear either a Ti Skyhawk or my Suunto Observer. But, just for fun, lately I've been wearing this monster.

BTW, sorry for the oversized photos. I just abandoned Photo bucket and am experimenting with Flickr. This hasn't happened on other forums, so I need to figure it out. [Figured it out. Now resized]
IMG_4493r by Robert Copple, on Flickr

IMG_4494r by Robert Copple, on Flickr
Just picked up one of these. Looks decent and should be good for sweating while still telling time. I think I just really also like the idea of not having to worry about battery replacement.

Old 11-02-2021, 05:00 PM

My Oris Bigface
Old 11-02-2021, 05:32 PM

haven't worn a watch in ages...everything I own has a clock in it.

car, PC, stove, DVR, phone, etc etc etc.

oh yeah, and my cycling computer has one too...ha!

plus, I HATE having anything on my wrist.