Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Kind of OK

Power Torque Crank Removal

Am I seeing this correctly: you need a gear puller to get a power torque crank off?
Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 AM

Yup.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Am I seeing this correctly: you need a gear puller to get a power torque crank off?
Yessir, be sure to remove the crank bolt washer!! Self extractor on Porenza but.... park, cyclus others make one.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Yup.
Um...No. Sticking with Ultra Torque.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Um...No. Sticking with Ultra Torque.
They've since updated Potenza with a self-extracting bolt. But yes, the ealrier stuff you need a puller. Park Tool makes one.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Administrator

i suspect power torque will be phased out soon.

the newest centaur 11-sp is going to be an ultra-torque setup, which is also a midlevel group. this move to me signals campy abandoning PT.

since park tool makes a puller, i dont see what the big deal is about that aspect though. we needed crank pullers for years with ST cranksets, so it's not totally ridiculous IMO.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yessir, be sure to remove the crank bolt washer!! Self extractor on Porenza but.... park, cyclus others make one.
I learned this the hard way.

And to Park Tool's credit, they sent me the piece-that-broke replacement gratis.

Kudos to Park Tool!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:02 PM

How often are you guys removing your crank arms? I have a power torque crankset and the park puller, but haven't removed it in 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 01:30 PM
aka RAEKWON

once its in is a great crank but the extra tools you need, if you don't already have them kind of suck. I would stick with UT if you can
Old 08-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

the newest centaur 11-sp is going to be an ultra-torque setup, which is also a midlevel group. this move to me signals campy abandoning PT.

since park tool makes a puller, i dont see what the big deal is about that aspect though. we needed crank pullers for years with ST cranksets, so it's not totally ridiculous IMO.
Yup, it's no big deal.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryscientist View Post

The newest centaur 11-sp is going to be an ultra-torque setup, which is also a midlevel group. This move to me signals campy abandoning pt.

Since park tool makes a puller, i dont see what the big deal is about that aspect though. We needed crank pullers for years with st cranksets, so it's not totally ridiculous imo.
+1
Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post
How often are you guys removing your crank arms? I have a power torque crankset and the park puller, but haven't removed it in 3 years.
Maybe once per year on average. A frame will go out the door or a new frame will arrive (how did that happen?!?!?!) and then some of the bikes will play musical chairs with gruppos and wheels until it all settles down. I've got mostly UT cranks but I do have a couple of PT cranks and they get mixed up in the shuffle sometimes.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Yup, it's no big deal.
It's not "no big deal" to me. It would be very annoying to have some consumers or shops stuck with an orphan standard that they needn't have introduced in the first place. This means that they may be stuck with orphan tools, and that the replacement parts will dry up sooner. You can bet that if there are actual cross-compatibility issues, they're more likely to involve the orphaned parts standards.

This isn't a Campy vs Shimano thing for me. I've had Campy for the majority of the time I've been a cyclist. When Shimano had their one year of orphan DA freehub bodies that can't be made compatible with 11s, I'm pretty sure they came in for some criticism. They deserved it. So does Campy.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:19 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
It's not "no big deal" to me. It would be very annoying to have some consumers or shops stuck with an orphan standard that they needn't have introduced in the first place. This means that they may be stuck with orphan tools, and that the replacement parts will dry up sooner. You can bet that if there are actual cross-compatibility issues, they're more likely to involve the orphaned parts standards.

This isn't a Campy vs Shimano thing for me. I've had Campy for the majority of the time I've been a cyclist. When Shimano had their one year of orphan DA freehub bodies that can't be made compatible with 11s, I'm pretty sure they came in for some criticism. They deserved it. So does Campy.
campy already did this and its sucking for people, the campy overtorque crank. No tools left out to buy and plenty of cranks still in existance. Yes they efed up there and PT as well.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaMtbRider View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Annually, just to clean and re-lube everything, make sure the seals are still good and bearings aren't crunchy and all that jazz.