Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2017, 04:46 PM

OT: RIP Glen Campbell

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ead-at-81.html

Last edited by bthornt; 08-08-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Small ring

Look for some YouTube videos with the wrecking crew
Old 08-08-2017, 05:20 PM

RIP. I heard his songs on the radio when I was a boy, and I have nostalgia when I hear them now.

Jimmy Webb on his relationship with Campbell:

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/05/02/jimmy-webb

Quote:
"When I was 14 years old, I got down on my knees beside the bed, because I'd heard a Glen Campbell record called 'Turn Around, Look at Me.' And I believe it was perhaps four and a half or five years later, that I was driving down the Santa Ana Freeway and heard Glen Campbell singing 'By The Time I Get To Phoenix.' It was a magical meshing of talents. I had been writing Glen Campbell songs in my mind. I was ready for Glen Campbell.

"Well the first thing he ever said to me was, 'When you gonna get a haircut?' And yet, I found out very quickly, that there was hardly anyone who could stand on the same level as he could stand as a guitarist. And could stand behind me, watch my hands moving on the piano and just play along on the guitar, which is like a virtual impossibility.

"And partially, because of the tension, I think, between us, out of that came, I think, some of the, maybe some of the nicest records of that period."
Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 PM

sad news

I remember the rhinestone cowboy album cover from when i was a kid. When I was teaching myself to play guitar I saw him on TV and thought, man this guy just has too much talent. Not sure if it was too much, but over the decades he remained amazing on the guitar and i never heard him hit a bad note. I was just thinking about him earlier today, not realizing he passed, when i saw a rather bad movie about linemen (with John Travolta no less) and thought to myself this would be so much better if Wichita Lineman was playing at least once.
Wishing his friends and family peace
Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM

nOthing touches my heart like Campbell singing wichita lineman
Old 08-08-2017, 06:03 PM

A very down to Earth, humble man who started from literally nothing. The $5.95 that dad aid for the mail order guitar must have been a real hardship in a dirt floor home with no running water.
I don't like country music, but he had a great voice and deserved all the success he got.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:04 PM

RIP Glen Campbell.

When I was growing up listening to music, Glen Campbell was not the kind of music I was listening to...more like Beatles and Rolling Stones. But By the Time I Got to Phoenix and Wichita Lineman were so beautiful, you just had to listen. Glen was great.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:08 PM

Absolutely one of the great talents, RIP. his music will live on. RIP.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:49 AM

RIP to a legend. Besides being a great entertainer, Glen Campbell was a rippin' session player( see above mentioned wrecking crew reference ) . Sad indeed for the passing of an icon.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM

Monster player and entertainer. His show was one of my TV favorites and had me jonesing for an Ovation roundback back in the day.

Thank you for sharing your music and talent. Rest in aloha Glen.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 AM

I'd actually never heard his music.. I went to a guitar lesson yesterday and my teacher interrupted the lesson when his phone went off to tell me Glen Campbell had died.

I listened to a bunch of his music last night/this morning, to be honest I'm not a fan of that kind of easy listening/poppy not-totally country singing sound he had, but holy cow could he play guitar. (Man my parents just ate that stuff up though, I'm amazed I never heard them playing his records as a kid.)

He looks so amazingly effortless playing, even when he's flying his fingers look like they're barely moving.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:59 PM

Not a country music fan, but this guy could do it all...and did. A tremendous talent who struggled a bit in the middle but by the end married a great woman and got his life (and his faith) together. Thanks for blessing us with you talent Glenn.