Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM

Who video records their commutes?

I have been thinking of video recording my commute for possible use as evidence in case of accidents. Sometimes I think it might be just as likely used as proof against me but that is not the only possible downside, the weight and maintimence of this gear would also be a pain.

Curious if anyone here has experience doing this, anything from actual gear set ups, clearing memory cards, actual use of footage as evidence, low light effectiveness, etc.

Trying to get some general info.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 AM
The B!

If I commuted, I think I'd definitely record. At least from the behind. Just seems like so many bicycle fatalities are hit-and-runs... and the cameras are light, cheap and abundant now
Old 03-19-2017, 12:42 PM

I use a fly6 rear every time I ride, not commuting. Cheap insurance and the light is brighter than the super flash I previously used. Since it just overwrites data automatically no real need to view/save. I have a couple videos from riding with my kids and it picks up sound and picture pretty well for such a small piece of equipment. Video quality is fine in day light. I don't have any experience with use after dark.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 PM

I think they are a great idea, and my wife even gave me one a few years ago*; I just pulled it out of the box to see if it's still there. It's a single unit called Contour that does a med/wide angle in 1080iHD for about an hour, or several times that in SD. It's probably a brick by today's weight std I'd bet.

Could be it was the charging ritual maybe, or having to deal with the computer, perhaps - I'm not sure, but I just never got going with it. I think it relates somehow to my preference for dyno hubs over battery lights.

*Actually, it was two weeks after my first son was born when a young physician, showing off for his new wife almost killed me with his very nice new BMW (they were both sweet people). I should give it another try this year.

Last edited by 93KgBike; 03-19-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 PM

Ive been thinking about getting one of these.

Don't need a light just a camera that records good quality (not best ever necessarily) and has good battery time. At least 5 hours recording time. Bonus would be if the images had some kind of shake filter so id not have to see all the rattling. A mount that was tricky to get off so you could leave your bike for a few minutes without someone just undoing a velcro would be nice also.

Anyone know which device would be best to pursue?
Old 03-19-2017, 02:04 PM

I've read good reviews and comments on the Fly6 (though I've never used it myself).
Only downside on the Fly6 is that it only records a rear view.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:12 PM

wow, I guess I had unrealistic expectations, battery life on these things sucks. I would have to charge them all the time.

I wonder if I could trickle charge them with the dynamo somehow.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:42 PM

This is really dumb, but I watched about three minutes of the Fly6 video thinking 'why are all those people riding on the left side of the road?!' When you're used to riding on the right, riding on the left looks super dangerous.

I think that looks like a great product though, even with the battery life.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:46 PM

I too think the battery time of 5 hours is okay but id like it to be a front cam. Im sure statistics say that one is more likely to be hit from behind as they dont make a front cam but id still rather have one recording whats happening in front of me. Id likely buy it if it did that.

Edit: oh but they do make one. The fly 12.. Now do i put my money where my mouth is..
Old 03-19-2017, 04:33 PM

I'm sitting on a fly6 that doesn't get used...if someone is interested let me know.
I have a 5 minute walk to work now!

EDIT: Fly6 is bought, paid for and in the mail. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by dustyrider; 03-20-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Fly6 on every outside ride. The Fly12 is huge. Some use a Fly6 on the head tube.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
Fly6 on every outside ride. The Fly12 is huge. Some use a Fly6 on the head tube.
and then not use the light at all i guess? Still red reflector in front dont seem like a great idea.
Yeah the 12 is kinda big but it gives you 10h of recording and 400 lumen if i need it. Still bit to big ya.

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 03-19-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM

For sure record. It makes you consider a bit more what you're doing.

And if anything, and I mean anything happens, you have evidence of it. The wacky driver that claims you threw a stone through their windshield? Without video showing it never happened it's hard to deal with wacky things like that, esp when there are no other witnesses.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:15 PM

Same here. Fly6 on the rear and a buddy at work uses a bar mounted GoPro on every commute. With the Fly6 it really becomes an afterthought and the light is quite noticeable in brightness and the moving patterns.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Ive been thinking about getting one of these.

Don't need a light just a camera that records good quality (not best ever necessarily) and has good battery time. At least 5 hours recording time. Bonus would be if the images had some kind of shake filter so id not have to see all the rattling. A mount that was tricky to get off so you could leave your bike for a few minutes without someone just undoing a velcro would be nice also.

Anyone know which device would be best to pursue?
Based on your criteria, I recommend what I had been using for the last two years: Garmin Virb camera. It's been discontinued but you can still get it on eBay or Amazon.

I don't know of any camera that provides 5 hrs of recording especially at a usable quality. Most ranges from 2-3hrs. What I did was, add a small little USB battery stick on the bike and that extends the battery life to about 5 hrs. The camera mount is very secure and you can easily remove the camera by depressing a button.

It's not the greatest and the latest but I think it does the job.