Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Help identifying Campagnolo hubset

Friends--

Can anyone help me in identifying what I've got here?

I found these on a local classified site:

The ad copy had no details. The price was low enough that I had a friend grab them for me, so I haven't seen them in person yet. I'll post more details here this weekend when I've got them in my hands.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 PM

Record? It says so on the hub. Probably 2003ish based on the plastic cap. 9-11 speed. Looks like at least one is missing the grease port cover. Good hubs, if you get them built back up with new rims, get an experienced builder, the hub flanges had a tendency to break if you go too high in tension.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Yes! Thanks for the tidbits.

I will be curious to know how much work these will need--any other information or tips out there would be most appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Record? It says so on the hub. Probably 2003ish based on the plastic cap. 9-11 speed. Looks like at least one is missing the grease port cover. Good hubs, if you get them built back up with new rims, get an experienced builder, the hub flanges had a tendency to break if you go too high in tension.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Correct and made thru 2006. Not trying to argue but I've built hundreds and have seen hundreds built and I have never seen a flange broken. IMHO, YMMV, and all that.

For the OP-Easy to OVH. 5mm allen in both sides, lefty loosey, LH axle end(don't lose wee washer!). 2.55 aallen in adjust cap, unscrew. 5mm allen in drive side, 17mm open end, left threaded(RIGHY-loosey) for nut that holds freehub body on. Cones and bearings same front and back(15 5/32 each side bearing balls in fiber cages). Cones easy to find(I have them), cups harder to both get out and find.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-21-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:27 AM

-

Last edited by Mackers; 03-28-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
I've seen plenty with broken flanges, an excellent and cheap source of spare parts.
On these hubs? Again, not trying to argue but been building with these since 1999 and I haven't. Where, which?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 AM

-

Last edited by Mackers; 03-28-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackers View Post
DS rear flange on the OS Record and Chorus hubs.

Haven't seen any Daytona or Centaurs like that though, so perhaps they did use a different alloy.
10-4. Interesting direction of the crack, since it's not the same direction as the pull of the spoke at that hole(aft). Also runs below the spoke hole. I guess the spoke could have pulled that section aft..donno.

But I doubt because the wheel was 'overtensioned'. The rim will fail way before a flange will, IMHO. Just never seen an issue with this era of hubs, flange wise. Maybe I've been lucky or sumthin. I did break a flange on a C Record, FW hubset after I smacked a 4 inch 'lip' at a construction site. But it had nothing to do with wheel tension.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-21-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
10-4. Interesting direction of the crack, since it's not the same direction as the pull of the spoke at that hole(aft). Also runs below the spoke hole. I guess the spoke could have pulled that section aft..donno.
The photo shows the standard mode of flange breakage - fatigue cracks will form perpendicular to the spoke direction. The reason is simple: Metal fatigue only occurs in tension. The metal local to where the spoke presses against the edge of the flange hole will be in compression, whereas the metal on the sides of the flange perpendicular to the spoke will be in tension. Thus, the cracks are most likely to form perpendicular to the spoke direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
But I doubt because the wheel was 'overtensioned'.
'Overtensioning' is a mostly imaginary boogeyman in most wheel fatigue cracks. Fatigue cracks are the result of many, many load cycles - the wheel components undergo one load cycle per revolution, and a wheel revolves a million times in 1300 miles. In high cycle loading the static tension plays only a small role in the fatigue - the factor is the size of the load cycles, not the size of the static load.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Broken Flange

Was that broken hub laced more than once with different patterns?

What are the indentations below each spoke hole on the outside of the flange, or is that 'normal'?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcyclistbob View Post
Was that broken hub laced more than once with different patterns?

What are the indentations below each spoke hole on the outside of the flange, or is that 'normal'?
That is normal for Campy Record hubs. I assume they're machined that way to facilitate spoke lacing... ?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:01 AM

I really appreciate the good information here--I'll check for cracks at the flanges--if there is anything else I should watch out for, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exapkib View Post
I really appreciate the good information here--I'll check for cracks at the flanges--if there is anything else I should watch out for, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Well... you can tell from the pics the rear hub has been laced up at least twice, and the person who laced them up this time unfortunately did not follow the previous pattern. Generally this is frowned upon, as it's thought to increase the chance of flange breakage.

My experience, though not nearly as long or frequent as Old Spud's, is that these are generally durable hubs and will likely stand up to this 'abuse'.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
Well... you can tell from the pics the rear hub has been laced up at least twice, and the person who laced them up this time unfortunately did not follow the previous pattern. Generally this is frowned upon, as it's thought to increase the chance of flange breakage.
Why do you say this? I see no indication of a second set of indentations around the spoke holes - only the single set that showed the trailing spokes were laced elbows out.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Why do you say this? I see no indication of a second set of indentations around the spoke holes - only the single set that showed the trailing spokes were laced elbows out.
I'm certainly no expert, but those tell-tale linear abrasions (near the edge of the flange) are almost certainly from the previous lacing.