Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2017, 11:52 AM

water*proof* cycling shoes?

I've used the search function, but wanted to ask specifically what everyone think is the most water*proof* cycling shoe (mtb & spd)? These'll be used for 'commuting'.

I'm looking for something that, coupled with Showers Pass rain pants, I can ride for 2 hours and arrive with dry feet. Pouring rain.

And I'm not interested in waterproof socks as I'd like to be able to have dry shoes when I get to where I'm going so that I can do the same thing all over again the next day (with dry shoes).

I ride in Southern California, so I'm not worried about the cold.

45nrth Japanther?

Shimano MW7?

?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Why not use a waterproof shoe cover?
P.R.O. Barrier WxB Shoe Cover
(although, on second thought, since you're in SoCal these might be too warm as they are fleece lines)
Old 02-18-2017, 12:10 PM

I've had Sidi GTX and now Lake CX145. Both are probably suitable for "LA temperatures" (ie, not a huge amount of insulation) and are totally waterproof (submerge up to the cuff and no water penetrates.)

However....... water finds a way. 2 hours of real rain.. how do you keep it from running down your head/neck/back/pants/shoes?

Let me know if you master it!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:19 PM

45nrth seems over kill shoe covers seems like the best solution like velotoze

https://www.velotoze.com/

showepass also made water proof socks
https://www.showerspass.com/products...oof-crew-socks
Old 02-18-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I've had Sidi GTX and now Lake CX145. Both are probably suitable for "LA temperatures" (ie, not a huge amount of insulation) and are totally waterproof (submerge up to the cuff and no water penetrates.)

However....... water finds a way. 2 hours of real rain.. how do you keep it from running down your head/neck/back/pants/shoes?

Let me know if you master it!
I rode 90 minutes last night. Waxed/oilcloth Walz cap, waterproof helmet cover, and a Patagonia Triolet jacket. The hood on the jacket only covers about 2/3 of my helmet, but it doesn't matter. It keeps the rain out.
Showers Pass pants and Gore water"proof" gloves. The jury is still out on those gloves as the exterior soaks up, albeit slowly, water, but my hands were still dry on the inside.

I was dry (not counting sweat) when I got home last night, but for my feet. 15 minutes into the ride I discovered the LG waterproof shoe covers weren't the least bit.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM

A two hour ride in the rain in Los Angeles? Those shoes are far far overkill and you'll be soaked inside from your own sweat. In your weather I'd just ride with regular shoes and have a spare pair if you really need to swap for the return ride. Then swap back the next day. There's nothing in a rain cover or waterproof shoe that will remotely work to keep you really dry. To go the opposite direction, get a shoe with a synthetic upper and lots and lots of drainage.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:06 PM

There is no such thing as a usable waterproof shoe. Add breathable to your list of requirements for a real laugh. Simple truth here is a set of race shoes with large vents in the sole for warm weather and an oversized pair of the same with a rain or neoprene cover for colder weather. Worry more about the layer next to your skin and wiggle your damned toes if they get cold.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:29 PM

I've been racing, training, and commuting in Seattle for 10+ years. Nothing is waterproof. Embrace the wet.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Get some Shimano sandals and carry an extra pair of socks to change into when you arrive at your destination.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:47 PM

specialized defrosters are great
very comfortable, waterproof
size runs large, so don't upsize
have been wearing them winter this year with all the rain in northern california
Old 02-18-2017, 07:56 PM

After a couple of years of all-weather commuting with occasional wet feet I finally bought the Sidi Hydro GTX boots. They've been great, and I haven't had really wet feet since that I can recall, even in pouring rain (as long as my rain pants are long enough to cover the top cuff of the boot). They fit a little bigger than Sidi road shoes so I have a thicker insole to fill them up a bit. I use shoe covers over them in the pouring rain which undoubtedly helps but might be too warm for Southern California.

Also FYI to keep rain from running down your head/neck/back etc., the Arc'teryx A2B commuter jacket which has a hood/visor that fits under your helmet. My go to for rainy commutes, dialled in after many years in PNW.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Have been wearing my Shimano winter shoes here in NorCal. They have been lovely to have. Keep my feet warm. However, unless I have everything right water does slip in over the top after some time. Mine are also from the period when others complained about this issue. Not sure if it's been fixed or if this is just an inherent problem since water will drip down your leg and into your boot.

Still have been a godsend this winter though.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:51 PM

Thanks for all of the info folks. I'm going to look at a few 'high ankle' shoes: Specialized Defroster Trail, Sidi GTX, and the Shimano MX7s.
And add straps around the bottom of my rain pant legs to lessen the likelihood of any water getting in that way.

Makes me want to get into the shoe manufacturing business...
Old 02-19-2017, 03:51 PM
cnighbor2

Bicycle sandals is the answer

Bicycle sandals is the answer along with Kayak waterproof neoprene socks
This prevent the typical bike shoe from filling up with water and cooling foot
A friend in Seattle wore with this setup Shimano make those sandals
also wool or poly-proprene socks keep you feet warm even when wet
''I'm looking for something that, coupled with Showers Pass rain pants, I can ride for 2 hours and arrive with dry feet. Pouring rain.

And I'm not interested in waterproof socks as I'd like to be able to have dry shoes when I get to where I'm going so that I can do the same thing all over again the next day (with dry shoes).''
Old 02-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Since waterproof shoes are not possible maybe you should reconsider your no waterproof socks stance. I once had goretex socks that were cool, and resulted in absolutely dry feet, even walking/standing in water.