Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Silca’s new Seat Roll Premio -- anyone tried this?

I just saw this new tool roll from Silca and it looks pretty nice. I don't like the ones with the Velcro strap around the seat post, as the usually damage my bib shorts. I'm currently using a Fizik's clip in bag, which I like a lot, but it only works with the Fizik saddles.

Here's a review of Silca's tool roll...
https://cyclingtips.com/news/silca-s...l-roll-review/
Old 02-07-2017, 03:03 PM

Hi Keith. I use one and backed it on kickstarter so have had it awhile.

It works and looks decent. Ridden mine in dirt and grime!!!!

In short: it works. I have mine with a Co2, full tube, dollar bills, lever and chuck. It totally works. I ride a regale saddle so my choices were sock and toe strap, Rapha roll up or something else . . . .

I like the Premio . . . love some of the Fizik saddle packs, like the small one, but I can't ride Fizik saddles.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Administrator

godukes -- Thanks for the info...and nice first post
Old 02-07-2017, 03:09 PM

I like mine although it is bulkier than what I have used in the past. I have a frame pump so I have levers, a boot, some patches, a multitool and 2 tubes.
it rolls up nice and tight. reasonably weatherproof. Easy to use on the side of the road without a bag vomiting everything out. Most importantly to me, it is silent while riding

Overkill for most rides where I just toss a tube in my back pocket on the occasion I ride clinchers
Old 02-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Any idea how this compares to Soulrun?
Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Any idea how this compares to Soulrun?
does soulrun/joe make one? any of these tool rolls with a strap (rapha, etc) are all functionally the same.

I like my fizik ICS and have not had issue with the attachment failing since our roads are smooth. one of the zippers failed on my bag though from opening and closing repeatedly to get my garage key out. I admit to a nagging thought that I am riding along meanwhile my tube and inflator etc has fallen off ten miles behind me. i moved the key to my pocket so now the only thing in that bag is bike repair and it stays zipped unless I flat.

My interest in the Silca is motivated by the boa attachment which would lend itself to easily moving across bikes just as I do with the ICS.

If I only had one bike a jandd bag would be just fine. but once you move bags across bikes it needs to be easily done.

Last edited by pdmtong; 02-07-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM

I am curious about the BOA, on bags.

I too use Ariones, but the negative posts all over the place about the ICS clip breaking scared me enough that I bought a Rixen & Kaul bag and 4 R&K "KlickFix" clips for 4 saddles. Swapping the one bag between 4 bicycles is a 2-second job: un-clip ... clip. The clip has been very sturdy, very solid, so I am not concerned about breakage, etc.

I'm just curious: is swapping out a BOA bag fast work? I have never seen one/tried one irl.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM
all slow no go

Very tempted (can't afford shoes with boa, so close enough?).
My only hesitation is that if the construction is similar to the ti-toque/ratchet bag it will be unnecessarily bulky...
Old 02-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
does soulun make one? any of these tool rolls with a strap (rapha, etc) are all functionally the same.

I like my fizik ICS and have not had issue wit the attachment failing since our roads are smooth. that said, its a nagging thought I am riding along meanwhile my tube inflator etc has fallen off ten miles behind me. the only thing in that bag is bike repair so no keys or money would be lost.

that said, the thing interesting to me about the silca is the boa attachment which would lend itself to easily moving across bikes just as I do with the ICS.

If I only had one bike a jandd bag would be just fine. but once you move bags across bikes it needs to be easily done.
Soulrun does make a tool roll (http://soulrun.com/), but it doesn't have the boa attachment like the Silica. I'm with you on the boa attachment, this is my point of interest as well. I also have a couple of bikes and love being able to easily switch the bag between bikes (I ride an Arione too). I also don't keep anything of real value in the bag in the event it decides to detach itself from my bike. BTW, I didn't realize there was that much of an issue with the ICS clip system...never had a problem with mine.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Very tempted (can't afford shoes with boa, so close enough?).
My only hesitation is that if the construction is similar to the ti-toque/ratchet bag it will be unnecessarily bulky...
Totally agree: the ratchet sleeve is very nice, but is a real porker, and very overkill for what it is. On the other hand, the seat roll would be subject to much more abuse so the beefy construction would probably be welcome there. Seat roll plus a Jenny Craig'd ratchet sleeve would be ideal.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:21 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Soulrun does make a tool roll (http://soulrun.com/), but it doesn't have the boa attachment like the Silica. I'm with you on the boa attachment, this is my point of interest as well. I also have a couple of bikes and love being able to easily switch the bag between bikes (I ride an Arione too). I also don't keep anything of real value in the bag in the event it decides to detach itself from my bike. BTW, I didn't realize there was that much of an issue with the ICS clip system...never had a problem with mine.
keith, when I set up my ICS clip I let the bag free wing to a neutral position before I tighten the bolt that where the clip articulates. This is the internet where rough roads in one place can destroy equipment that would never fail in my area. so YMMV. I never had a problem either.

I used to use the medium bag - tube, irons, patch kit, 12g cartridge (2) and inflator. note the 12g cylinders are non-threaded and cheap at walmart gun section.

I could switch to the threaded 16g and take a pair with just the head to save space.

I switched to the small ICS bag and in doing so lost space for the patc kit - so I now pack some glueless patches. Note my preference on the side of the road is to use a new tube and deal with patching at home or if a second (gulp) flat. the third flat (gulp)(gulp) gets fixed with my cell phone.

The silca boa wraps over the rails and then hook clips to a fixture on the bag. you tighten the BOA and then you snap (see the red tab) the open end for an additional security point. it all seems pretty slick and I like the idea a lot.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 PM

I've got one and have been using it since start of the year. Best bag I've used thus far. The boa might sound like overkill (I thought this at first too), but once you actually use it, it's so much easier than sinching a bag down with velcro or toe strap. You can get it super tight against the saddle rails. No bouncing/budging at all. Also a plus - it is easy to quickly swap between bikes. It looks good, too. I recommend it. Might just be the last one you ever have to buy...
Old 02-07-2017, 04:45 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrizzwald View Post
I've got one and have been using it since start of the year. Best bag I've used thus far. The boa might sound like overkill (I thought this at first too), but once you actually use it, it's so much easier than sinching a bag down with velcro or toe strap. You can get it super tight against the saddle rails. No bouncing/budging at all. Also a plus - it is easy to quickly swap between bikes. It looks good, too. I recommend it. Might just be the last one you ever have to buy...
when the roll is off the bike is there anything keeping it rolled tight? presumably once the BOA is released the whole thing just relaxes and "unrolls" ?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
when the roll is off the bike is there anything keeping it rolled tight? presumably once the BOA is released the whole thing just relaxes and "unrolls" ?
Yes. There is another strap that wraps around the roll, vertically, that you can pull tight. You can also just tighten the boa down when it's off the bike too, so it will stay tight.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:42 PM
v a n i l l a

I got mine on Saturday and tried packing it. Not sure how this will work for me.

The three "pockets" are slightly different widths - the left=3", center=4", right=3.5" the idea being you fold the left over the center then you fold the right over the left. next loop the elastic band with velcro tab to keep it folded when off the bike.

mounting under the saddle is easy and fast. the roll snugs up nicely under an arione. all these years with an ICS bag leave me wondering if my legs will hit the forward corners as I pedal but since no one here has complained I guess that is not an issue.

I had been using a massive medium ICS bag -
- 700x23 tube
- 12g non-threaded CO2 stored inside the inflator body
- inflator head (screws on to body and pierces cartridge)
- spare 12g non-threaded CO2 (using these since cheap at walmart gun department)
- two lezyne tire irons
- glueless patches
- rema patch kit (glue, patches, sandpaper, schraeder/presta adapter)
- latex glove
- folded paper towel

Since roads here are smooth and flats infrequent, I decided to leave out the rema patch kit (small plastic box - you know the one) and stuff it all into a small ICS bag. been using the small bag for years now.

It took a few tries but because of the 12g inflator body and head what I carry needs to be deliberately packed so I can fold it. switching to a pair of 16g threaded cartridges and just a head would probably help. Anyone asking why two cartridges hasn't had the pleasure of a failure or gaffe with the first cartridge.

the roll is nicely made. but since what I have works fine, and I have not experienced any ICS clip failures. I am left wondering if I really am improving my situation with the silca.

(+) absolutely secure to the saddle
(-) a PITA for me to pack and roll my contents, likely forcing me to change inflation pieces to use more easily.

I'll have to play around with it further.