Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2017, 12:44 PM

Lot of good advice here.

I will only restate that if you are serious about using the show as an opportunity to finalize a short list and commit:

Have a short list in mind - I went to Denver and was there to see Potts, Kish and my non-Ti option Inglis/Retrotec. Dave of Ellis was the wildcard when I got to the show as his Strada Fango was right inside the entrance and was IMHO the functionally best executed gravel bike that year. Potts was #1 on my list and was who I ultimately worked with.

Go on Friday as it is quiet and you will have the best opportunity to get quality time with the builders.

Stay for the energy and fun of Saturday.

Show is cheap for the unique experience if you are in the market for custom. If not, it's still better than the annual car show IMHO. YMMV. Yadda.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 PM

Given the location of the show I'm thinking Sunday might be the slow day.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:33 AM

I'm 3.5hrs away.

I was thinking about going, but after reading all this I will definitely be going. If I go alone and don't spend time chatting is a day enough or is it really better to have 2?

Are there things to buy (parts, accessories)?
Old 02-05-2017, 10:50 AM

I would recommend a minimum two days, one to view everything and one to focus on interesting stuff. This year I am trying a shorter trip Saturday afternoon and a half-day on Sunday with one overnight. Many of the parts and accessories vendors will be selling and some builders have t-shirts and such. Makes for an interesting time getting through TSA with your new Abbey tools and Paragon bottle openers...
Old 02-05-2017, 11:26 AM
it's all nuts!!

i will be bounding around the booths. so many shiny wheels to fondle! that is not nuts!

mr. squirrel
Old 02-05-2017, 12:43 PM

$22 is cheap compared to falling in love with a frame and a builder. That's when it begins to get expensive. I had Wiseman build me a Fat Bike frame. It is an absolutely lovely ride and gets me complements every time I ride it. Much cheaper than a heart attack!
Old 02-06-2017, 02:21 PM
n - 1

Thanks for not calling me a cheap skate directly to my face. I didn't know what the standard rate was for this event, but most of the other trade shows (RV, boat, auto, etc.) are around $10 here. Guess I was expecting about the same.

I'll head up there to see what's all about. I'm not in the market for a new bike/frame, but I'd be interested to see some of these bikes I've only seen online, in person. Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
Given the location of the show I'm thinking Sunday might be the slow day.
As a local I can say this is very true. No better day to hit the trail, ski slopes, golf course, or see a movie than a Sunday in Utah.

Was on the fence about taking Friday off but this thread sealed the deal. It'll be a Friday & Sunday event for me.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM

I will be there Thursday night to Monday morning.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperColnago View Post
Do the builders offer any incentives to order at the show? > any savings offsets there?
Cheers
The one show that I went to, Sacramento, i went later on Sunday. Zullo was selling off the framesets that he brought. I guess that was the exception, but I was tempted.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

I'll just add my voice to the chorus of those saying to go.

I've been twice and both times was blown away by the quality of craftsmanship you see there and the number of really nice folks you can chat with. I went to SJ #3 and Portland and still remember them like they were yesterday.

It was easy to talk to and meet the builders even on Saturday but I suppose the show is more crowded these days. If I have a chance to attend again I will.

Lots of good information given already, listen to the wise voices of experience.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperColnago View Post
Do the builders offer any incentives to order at the show? > any savings offsets there?
Cheers

Honestly, i've thought about it. Not sure what to do/offer though. Many of ours will be used at Sea Otter and other shows like Bespoke Bristol and than later at Eurobike and Interbike.

I had offers to take frames/bikes off our hands at Interbike last year. I would've if I didn't need them again. I think that the thing. And many of ours will be custom paints.

But honestly, go to the show. It's an excellent show. I've been to others, and NAHBS is one of the better ones. Lots to see. Great people to talk to. And it's relatively cheap compared to others.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:52 PM

Was thinking about going.

But it looks like a boycott of Utah by outdoor-related sports equipment manufacturers might be afoot in response to Utah Gov. Gary Herbert's effort to have SCROTUS repeal the former President's order creating Bears Ears National Monument.

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article...r-10912800.php

I'm not so sure I want to attend any longer.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
But it looks like a boycott of Utah by outdoor-related sports equipment manufacturers might be afoot in response to Utah Gov. Gary Herbert's effort to have SCROTUS repeal the former President's order creating Bears Ears National Monument.

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article...r-10912800.php

I'm not so sure I want to attend any longer.
Bears Ears is an interesting situation. On the surface, it looks like a great idea to protect it as they did. But, I visit that area monthly to visit customers and have for the last 5 years. I work on the Navajo Nation and the 20 or so Navajo that I talk to about this are split about Bears Ears being designated a National Monument. It seems that you can't win these days. 1/2 the people will be happy, 1/2 won't.

IF Planet X | Kona Ti SS 29er | Scott Fatbike | Turner Flux
Old 02-07-2017, 02:22 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Thanks for not calling me a cheap skate directly to my face.
While it is all a matter of perspective even at 2x the going rate it is a jackson not a benjamin. which leads me to conclude you may actually be a cheapskate.

just kidding!

have fun at the show and report back. you are going in the most dangerous of circumstances...thinking you don't need another bike.

I was actually serious about the crombie SL. You don think you need one but it is really nice to have. Plus, Jason is a great guy.

The thing that got dizzying to me last time was the endless sea of titanium gravel disc bikes. I have no idea how any of those was truly differentiated in order to make a builder selection other than how the disc mount and rear drop out were designed.