Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
no dog is the wrong dog.
I disagree with this.

There are some dogs that aren't right for certain situations. The typical examples are either a high-energy breed for an older person in an apartment, or a yappy dog in house where strangers are constantly coming and going.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I vote either American or Olde English bulldogge. Great dogs that are just happy to be around and can handle the hikes as long as properly bred. Definitely can look intimidating and lots of personality.
The English Bulldog cannot be properly bred. They are all caesarean and have a very short lifespan. The creation and maintenance of this admittedly lovable breed have become animal cruelty. The continued maintenance of this breed should stop. Most of UGA dogs live about three years...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/27/ma...aved.html?_r=0

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/07...-bulldogs.html
Old 02-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I disagree with this.

There are some dogs that aren't right for certain situations. The typical examples are either a high-energy breed for an older person in an apartment, or a yappy dog in house where strangers are constantly coming and going.
Completely agree.

Or, if "no dog is the wrong dog", there are certainly plenty of wrong owners.

And, adopt.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:11 PM

Absolutely get one from a shelter!! If all of these dogs get adopted the sad shelter commercials will not have to air anymore. And my wife will stop crying. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
...there are certainly plenty of wrong owners...
With only the VERY rare exception, this is the case.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=ptourkin;2118625]The English Bulldog cannot be properly bred. They are all caesarean and have a very short lifespan. The creation and maintenance of this admittedly lovable breed have become animal cruelty. The continued maintenance of this breed should stop. Most of UGA dogs live about three years...

Agreed, but Olde English are a different breed which was started about 50 years ago. It is 1/2 english, 1/6 pitbull, 1/6 American bulldog and 1/6 mastiff and was bred to overcome the problems that arose from bad breeding. Unfortunately breeders started messing with them as well and there are f1,f2 and f3 Olde's that they breed back to English bulldogs that end up with the same issues. My male is generational and is a very capable and well bred dog. He is a clean breathing athletic beast with none of the issues of the English bulldog.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Our latest add to the family...from a rescue league.

She can outrun anyone and any bike on the trail!

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June.jpg (44.4 KB, 156 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 06:38 PM

If not adopting, we've found our goldendoodles to be wonderful companions. I think they'd be great on the trail, and they are in the 55-65 lb range. Here are Stanley and Daisy:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-01-2017, 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=Hilltopperny;2118649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
The English Bulldog cannot be properly bred. They are all caesarean and have a very short lifespan. The creation and maintenance of this admittedly lovable breed have become animal cruelty. The continued maintenance of this breed should stop. Most of UGA dogs live about three years...

Agreed, but Olde English are a different breed which was started about 50 years ago. It is 1/2 english, 1/6 pitbull, 1/6 American bulldog and 1/6 mastiff and was bred to overcome the problems that arose from bad breeding. Unfortunately breeders started messing with them as well and there are f1,f2 and f3 Olde's that they breed back to English bulldogs that end up with the same issues. My male is generational and is a very capable and well bred dog. He is a clean breathing athletic beast with none of the issues of the English bulldog.
Very cool. Love the bull breed personalities.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:59 PM

Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/07...-bulldogs.html
I would ask if you have ever owned an English Bulldog. I have been blessed to own a number of bulldogs. Basically every domestic dog has been bred to accentuate certain physical traits, a bulldog, bull mastiffs, boxers, boston terriers all share some of the same physical traits.

In general mine have had about 9/10 years of life. They are great companions, my kinds "abused" them riding them lime a pony, i have also personally delivered 12 puppies from my first bulldog.

They are the wrong dog for this thread, but they are an awesome member of the family.

best

Ray
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Years ago when we were looking for a dog, I simply googled "protective hypo allergenic dog that is good with children" and came up with a Bergamasco and a 9 other dogs.

That's what I would do if I was your friend. Most people have great dogs, because they mesh with their personality...what works for me might not work for her...
Old 02-01-2017, 07:24 PM

oh the irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Friend of ours (tall, nice looking blonde woman) likes to hike and has taken her companion for 12 years now. His arthritis and other issues will limit him to walks around the yard. She is now looking for a dog breed that is mid to large size, that is just a "bit" protective looking, enough so when she is alone (she is paranoid), weird people won't approach her. Also one that doesn't mind hanging at home during some days. I suggested our dog, American Eskimo, but too yappy. Any dog ideas here? Yes she could search the rescues like her current dog...
Well I'm sorry I don't have much to offer except a bit of snark...but I had to laugh at your posting here. I mean your friend sounds weird to say the least. If you're being serious I do hope this friend finds just the right k9 companion. As he or she will protect the rest of the weirded public from a most obviously weird lady. But, but...perception when it comes to all things weird is everything.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM

shelter dog, or adopt a greyhound. they're not as high-energy as people think, i've had one for 7 years. they are couch potatoes that like 2-3 10 minute walks a day, if you have a fenced yard, they can run to heart's content.
they are generally not aggressive to people but can definitely be a weirdo deterrent (lots of pointy teeth and athletic looking)
Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 PM

>>Well I'm sorry I don't have much to offer except a bit of snark...but I had to laugh at your posting here. I mean your friend sounds weird to say the least. If you're being serious I do hope this friend finds just the right k9 companion. As he or she will protect the rest of the weirded public from a most obviously weird lady. But, but...perception when it comes to all things weird is everything.

Totally confused with this comment. She is a nice women, cancer survivor living by herself. Very active, but has had issues, I believe in her past not to trust people. All I was asking if there was a dog breed that is generally passive but would give her comfort of hiking alone. We have had recent attack/killing to a runner. She has had dogs her whole life, we were just chatting and she asked if I had any ideas as she is preparing for her current friends end of life. All I can say your loss not to know her.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:38 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Well I'm sorry I don't have much to offer except a bit of snark...but I had to laugh at your posting here. I mean your friend sounds weird to say the least. If you're being serious I do hope this friend finds just the right k9 companion. As he or she will protect the rest of the weirded public from a most obviously weird lady. But, but...perception when it comes to all things weird is everything.
Frankly, yours is the weirdest comment in this entire thread, and most presumptuous on your part as well.