Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 09:56 AM

I'll second an Airedale, they tick all the boxes you mentioned.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:57 AM

Great Dane here, on our 2nd. Very happy to hang inside at home (despite their size they are indoor dogs) also happy to go for a run or an all day hike. Unfortunately they are short lived. Pretty focused on the "pack", especially kids. Ours have only barked when it was appropriate (like someone pulled into the drive). We walk and run him on voice lead regularly. Training is hugely important, obviously, but once they hit about 2 years old, their big goal is to be a good dog.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:14 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Oh i dident know you had a dog. She is beautiful!
We got her in November. She was 5 months old at the time and already housebroken. Now we have her in obedience class, which is proving to be quite fun. She is already a great running partner, but not quite ready to mountain bike with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Rescue a young, trainable mutt. This guy was a few days away from the gas chamber when we got him 10 years ago. Protective, loyal, and he could hike all day when he was younger.
That's what we did with our Annie. She was 5 months when we picked her up, and she's been an absolute delight.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Get a Catella!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Labrador Retriever. maybe not protective looking enough but no better breed IMHO. happy to run. happy to lay on the sofa all day. most happy when eating
My black Labs were the best dogs ever for hiking, running, and deterring people from approaching.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Our Bergamasco Sheepdog is loving, playful, happy with short (or long) walks and playing fetch and protective. He considers himself part of the family and insists upon being near us at all times. Even when he is in the yard playing he comes back to the door every 5-10 minutes or so to check on us. If he hears a knock on the front door or the door opening, he comes running to make sure everything is ok.

When I walk him, he stiffens up to size up people we don't know on the road. Always alert, never aggressive without reason. Tolerant of every dog we have encountered so far. He has played with a 130 lb Bernese Mtn Dog and 6 pound mutts. Very loyal.

He doesn't shed and he doesn't drool. He barks when someone is at the door and that's it.

He needed 1 hour with a trainer when he was a few months old. My 13 yr old daughter taught him to sit, lay and turn around in the first weeks we had him. He took up fetch naturally and when we walk instinctively listens to commands to stop, come and go.

He is about 60 lbs at 1 year old, very fast and agile.
We feel very comfortable leaving the kids at home with him in the house.

My Mom is a widow, a cat person who doesn't like dogs, but loves our dog. She asks about him very day and insists we bring him to her house whenever we visit. He jumps on the couch and cuddles with her. We let him on the couch because he doesn't drool, claw or chew furniture (or shoes).

I should add that he is very attached to me because I walk him and play with him the most. If I go take a shower, he waits outside the door. If I go to the dinner table, he sits on my foot underneath the table. If I go to the restroom, he waits outside the door. If I walk upstairs, he follows me. Even if he is napping, if I get up, he follows me. We never have to wonder "where is Bowie?".

If the kids start fighting, he rushes to them and pulls off the aggressor.

Not easy to find, but worth every penny and effort to bring one home. Oh, and the ladies love him.

This is from last night's walk.

[IMG][/IMG]

Cuddling with my daughter at my Mom's house:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 93legendti; 02-01-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM

rescue 100%. just look around your area at what's available. you can always find something that you'll fall in love with. puppy, adult or in-between. they have 'em all and they all need homes.

we just went through this and our only approach was, after we found out what's available and what we liked from it, research the breeds (yes plural; usually shelter dogs are mixed) and see if their traits match up with what you're looking for.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I'm sure this won't go over well but a Pitbull is a loyal and very energetic dog that loves to do things outdoors and definitely will keep the weirdos away. Overall they get a bad rap, they are well behaved when trained and also do well just hanging out. Won't be hard to find a pup or young adult at a shelter.

Best

Ray
If your friend goes this route, she should be sure to check with her current homeowners/renters insurance carrier. Choice of dog breed may impact insure-ability or premiums.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 AM

perhaps an aussie shep...totally dedicated...velcro and loving...and fairly easy to handle if given exercise...wonderful dogs...not too big either...female around 40 pounds, male about 50...

Last edited by cash05458; 02-01-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Veni.Vidi.Bici.

Look for a rescue Belgian Malinois.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_bacon View Post
Look for a rescue Belgian Malinois.
That's a great dog. The IDF uses them for search and rescue, attack and bomb sniffing dogs.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Shelter dog. My adopted Chesapeake Bay Retreiver mix is a great outdoor companion.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
I'm a border collie fan but I wouldn't suggest one to anyone other than someone who knows BCs. ACDs are great too.
Our border collie owned us for 17yrs before we lost her to a stroke, don't think I've ever cried that hard. Very smart breed but a little head strong at times. My son has two boxers, the goofy male is the funniest dog I've ever been around, so much personality .
Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Shelter dog is the right dog.

We've got a pit bull/English bull terrier mix who would tick all your friend's boxes. Socialize them young and don't worry about the negative stereotypes. The "bully breeds" are great dogs.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 AM
2016 WS CHAMPS

+ 10920194029402942 on shelter dog, they desperately need your love!

Growing up, we had a German Shepard/Rottie mix. She was a little bit on the small side, for that particular mix- definitely mid to mid/large but very sweet and very protective. She lived to be 15, we put her down because she could no longer walk (along with a string of other issues). I remember being a kid and laying down in the backyard and resting my head on her stomach while I read comic books.

...I want a time machine.

Last edited by genbar; 02-01-2017 at 11:54 AM.