Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2017, 09:24 AM
coffee consumer

adoption is best....shelter dogs have stronger immune systems and are less susceptible to the physical difficulties of pure-breds.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:25 AM

+2 for a shelter/ rescue.
Puppyhood is great but a big commitment. You can bypass this stage with a rescue.

Also decide if you want fur in the house or a monthly visit to a groomer.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:28 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Personally, if it was a hiking/running dog, I'd look for a Ridgeback mix, BC mix, or another of the herding/hunting dogs.

My Pyrenees mix loves to go running and hiking, but he's not in the same league as the BC I had in Sandy Eggo.

edited to add: one of the best dogs I've ever had the privilege of lving with was my roommate's BC/Pit Bull mix. Fantastic dog. Acted like a BC. Looked like a Pit
Old 02-01-2017, 09:30 AM

Rescue a young, trainable mutt. This guy was a few days away from the gas chamber when we got him 10 years ago. Protective, loyal, and he could hike all day when he was younger.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:31 AM

I'll add Airedale and Standard Poodle. I have both in one dog

Plenty of experience with both breeds and different mainly in that Airedales are a bit more stubborn and game oriented compared to the Poodles that have the highest level of owner attention. Both are hunting breeds that developed working closely with humans but not typically in large packs so they seem to be happy in small families such as one or two owners and as the only dog or one of two dogs.

50-65 pounds usually with male poodles often larger and some breeders offer really large airedales. I think 55-60 pounds is perfect for the job at hand both can hike or run all day once they grow up and that is big enough to not be ignored by a potential threatening individual.

Picture of Cody the Airedoodle with his Sheltie sister enjoying some snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dogs Snow.jpg (48.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
Rescue a young, trainable mutt. This guy was a few days away from the gas chamber when we got him 10 years ago. Protective, loyal, and he could hike all day when he was younger.
Great looking dog
Old 02-01-2017, 09:35 AM

Lab-Sheppard mix
Lab-Pit mix
Lab-boxer mix

Basically anything mixed with a lab that you can find at the local shelter
Old 02-01-2017, 09:38 AM

Definitely would go to a shelter/rescue first, but all personal opinions aside, if she's got her mind set on a puppy, she might look at a Giant Schnauzer or a Bouvier Des Flandres. Giant Schnauzers are really high energy (not sure quite how much hiking your friend likes, but it would need to be a lot). Either would be a good hiking companion. The Bouvier would probably be more down with hanging at home but each dog is different of course.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:47 AM

Any shelter/rescue dog that finds its home with your friend will deter 97+% of all predators. On the trail, at home, in the city, in the car, wherever. Any healthy dog can become an amazing athlete and devoted companion.

My family is on our fifth pit-mix. Training and socialization have been essential. We have had two who had behavioral issues that needed to be overcome. They are not for everyone in my opinion, (like whiskey,motorcycles and firearms) but they are the "all american" dog and we have become "those" kind of people who will probably never have any other kind of dog. We currently have two, Dan and Eddy. Three years ago Dan squared off with an apex predator on a hike. I caught a fleeting glimpse of the mountain lion and Dan got one small puncture wound at the base of his tail. Kitty's parting gift. The PB's trait of total, unstoppable and fearless commitment is what allowed him to succeed, the predator could not risk engagement.

The presence of almost any dog will make almost any predator move along.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Herding dogs are a good choice. I have a Belgian Sheepdog who loves to hike but hates the car! They are not a common breed but worth searching for. They come in 3 "flavors"; Groenendael/Belgian Sheepdog, Malinois and Tervuren.

Tim
Herding dogs are my favorites. Smart, athletic, very loyal, as well as being efficiently mid sized. My best dog ever was my Canaan Dog (google that one) who wanted nothing more than to be with the pack -- the family.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
Definitely would go to a shelter/rescue first, but all personal opinions aside, if she's got her mind set on a puppy, she might look at a Giant Schnauzer or a Bouvier Des Flandres. Giant Schnauzers are really high energy (not sure quite how much hiking your friend likes, but it would need to be a lot). Either would be a good hiking companion. The Bouvier would probably be more down with hanging at home but each dog is different of course.

I don't know what your experience is with Bouvier's is, but if you dont know they are the breed of choice for Belgian Police. They are pretty high energy and very protective. Also, not sure how big this woman is, but from my experience they can dominate "any situation", once they make their mind up they kind of do what they want to do.

Not saying its a bad breed/dog, there really are only poorly trained/socialized dogs, but a Bouvier needs a very strong hand.

Best

Ray
Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I'm sure this won't go over well but a Pitbull is a loyal and very energetic dog that loves to do things outdoors and definitely will keep the weirdos away. Overall they get a bad rap, they are well behaved when trained and also do well just hanging out. Won't be hard to find a pup or young adult at a shelter.

Best

Ray
I'll second this. I have absolutely loved every pit I've known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
I don't know what your experience is with Bouvier's is, but if you dont know they are the breed of choice for Belgian Police. They are pretty high energy and very protective. Also, not sure how big this woman is, but from my experience they can dominate "any situation", once they make their mind up they kind of do what they want to do.

Not saying its a bad breed/dog, there really are only poorly trained/socialized dogs, but a Bouvier needs a very strong hand.

Best

Ray
Fair point, looking back at the OP I think I misread how much protection the person is looking for. They are certainly more than "protective looking." Same goes for a number of other breeds mentioned here that might be more than is required.

Last edited by sandyrs; 02-01-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Re:

Another vote for a Malinois. Great dogs. I had the opportunity to work around them quite a bit as a police officer. They are smart, quick, have good energy and endurance, are highly trainable, and as threatening, when needed, as you could want.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:53 AM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Herding dogs are my favorites. Smart, athletic, very loyal, as well as being efficiently mid sized. My best dog ever was my Canaan Dog (google that one) who wanted nothing more than to be with the pack -- the family.
I'm a border collie fan but I wouldn't suggest one to anyone other than someone who knows BCs. ACDs are great too.