Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 PM

I ordered a pair of the Shimano MX7s today. I'll see how they do in conjunction with the rain pants.
I see the logic behind the sandals & waterproof socks, but am not ready to go there at this point.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:25 PM

fishing waders and a rain jacket
Old 02-20-2017, 05:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

'SPD' means cleat. Not sure how any shoe with holes in the bottom for the cleat is going to be 'waterproof'..
Old 02-20-2017, 05:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsight512 View Post
I ordered a pair of the Shimano MX7s today. I'll see how they do in conjunction with the rain pants.
I see the logic behind the sandals & waterproof socks, but am not ready to go there at this point.
Wait a few months and people will be talking about 'drought' again..

What surprises me is the lack of water grids in the US..drought here, flooding there..
Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have Northwave fahrenheit winter shoes and they are water proof. Have ridden them through torrential rain and feet and shoes were dry. They are awesome but they are winter shoes so I am not sure you would want to wear those in summer for 2 hours. That said the showers pass pants are probably not that breathable so between those 2 you would arrive at work soaking in sweat instead of from the rain
Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 AM

I don't know about the Japanther, but I have some 45nrth Fasterkatts. One issue in rain: they don't drain at all, so any water that gets in stays in. I found this out the hard way in a very cold, rainy road race.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Randomhead

I've never gotten water in my fasterkatts, sounds like that's a good thing. Of course, it's a good thing with any waterproof shoe, it's not going to get out if it gets in somehow. As far as intrusion from other directions, they are pretty much waterproof. First time I rode them with my fatbike, I had to immerse them nearly up to the top in an ice cold stream. I would think that if you cover the top with a waterproof pant that closes at the ankle, that is going to be a pretty good combo. I bought some waterproof pants for commuting, never used them. Turns out I'm too much of a wimp to ride in really wet conditions, but usually I just decide not to bother with the pants.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:43 AM

If you wanted to try some Fasterkatts I've got some I'd sell cheap that are a size 47

I have too many mid weight shoes and they have maybe 3 rides max on them.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Clyde the point has some older Northwave Arctics, size 46, for sale at a very reasonable price in the classified. His are an earlier version with minimal insulation that are very waterproof and will meet your requirements. I must say that I find it quite amusing that a southern Californian is inquiring about waterproof shoes.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:08 AM

defrosters with lightweight defeet wool socks are fine in the 50's and even 60's. i even wore them all day at work last week indoors. mildly sweaty feet, but not bad at all.
if it hasn't already been mentioned, I'd consider fenders a prerequisite in a rainy commute.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
<snip> I must say that I find it quite amusing that a southern Californian is inquiring about waterproof shoes.
Yeah, pretty funny, I agree. I've been riding more and more and really want to get to the point where I can ride to work in any weather, even if it's only Southern California weather.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have Northwave fahrenheit winter shoes and they are water proof. Have ridden them through torrential rain and feet and shoes were dry. They are awesome but they are winter shoes so I am not sure you would want to wear those in summer for 2 hours. That said the showers pass pants are probably not that breathable so between those 2 you would arrive at work soaking in sweat instead of from the rain
I've got these as well...I'm not convinced that anything is waterproof but just for kicks, check out this Northwave user's video where he literally puts his feet in the pool with his boots on. I'm very happy with mine but have not personally subjected them to any significant rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9j-HoCiqE

Last edited by Pierre; 02-22-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:12 PM
all slow no go

Timely product review over on RKP!
http://redkiteprayer.com/2017/02/wet-feet/
Old 02-22-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onsight512 View Post
Yeah, pretty funny, I agree. I've been riding more and more and really want to get to the point where I can ride to work in any weather, even if it's only Southern California weather.
Riding in the rain isn't the same as riding in New York, Washington, Iowa, and the other locations of most of the posters on this thread. Los Angeles rain is just rain. After one wearing you'll probably be putting those Sidis up for sale. Just a suggestion that you focus on responses from people from similar climates. Your feet won't be any drier in winter shoes than they would be in regular road shoes, and you can always use a lycra shoe cover or the like to knock off most of the water, though your feet will still sweat more even under lycra.

And as someone pointed out above, fenders are the real secret to rainy day riding.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
Riding in the rain isn't the same as riding in New York, Washington, Iowa, and the other locations of most of the posters on this thread. Los Angeles rain is just rain. After one wearing you'll probably be putting those Sidis up for sale. Just a suggestion that you focus on responses from people from similar climates. Your feet won't be any drier in winter shoes than they would be in regular road shoes, and you can always use a lycra shoe cover or the like to knock off most of the water, though your feet will still sweat more even under lycra.

And as someone pointed out above, fenders are the real secret to rainy day riding.

Yup. I'm originally from Pennsylvania, so I'm aware the rain out here is just rain. I got a pair of the Shimano MX7s and they look like they'll be an improvement over my regular mtb shoes. With a better pair of shoe covers, these look like they'll probably do the job.
And there are fenders on the bike already.