Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 06:00 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Options for 11 speed Shimano gravel drivetrain

OK, so I'm waiting on a gravel frame this spring, and it will take a 12mm 142 TA rear wheel. I have Chris King and Industry Nine hubs available for the build. I'm going to use Ultegra RS685 levers. My question is what to do in back. I'd thought I'd use an Ultegra RD with medium cage, and an 11 speed 11-32 cassette, but the MTB cassette that fits on the Shimano 10 speed hub body only comes in an 11-40 or 11-42 (right?) which obviously is too big for that Ultegra RD. By my understanding, the MTB hubs cannot take the 11 speed road cassette, right?

Will an Ultegra lever drive an XT RD? Is there an 11 speed mountain cassette with a smaller range I don't know about. I'm used to Campy road groups and Shimano MTB groups, what are my options for making this work?

Thanks

Last edited by DRZRM; 02-22-2017 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 AM

If you want to use that 11-40 or 11-42 cassette with shimano road levers get a wolf tooth Tanpan and a shimano 11 speed mountain rear derailleur.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
If you want to use that 11-40 or 11-42 cassette with shimano road levers get a wolf tooth Tanpan and a shimano 11 speed mountain rear derailleur.
err, like 10s stuff , I don't think road 11s levers are compatible with shimano MTB 11s rear ders(XTR/XT).

https://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-x...ible-questions

A single ring set up and longer cage ROAD 11s rear rear der will handle a 42t tho.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Wow OP that article is almost 3 years old, nothing has changed? It seems like gravel bikes (stoners) are taking over, I can't believe there is still no functional drivetrain. I'm happy to use an 11-40 if that is the only way to go, but the 11-32 Ultegra would be enough for my local climbing. My current rim brake gravel bike has a Campy 12-30 cassette with a typical Record compact crank and mid cage RD. It's OK, I looked forward to the 32, but never thought a 40 would be necessary.

OP I assume that the "longer cage ROAD 11s rear der" is the SRAM? Is there a longer cage you can put on an Ultegra? Or one of those Wolftooth type things that works for 11-speed?

Seems like sandyrs has the right (only?) answer, assuming that I don't want to go 1x11 (which I could do, but I don't love the chainline on my 1x11 MTB drivetrains in the two climbing gears) the 11-40 XT cassette with the Wolftooth Tanpan for Shimano 11 speed. Then a XT rear derailleur (no clutch needed if I stick with 2x) with the long cage.

Is there an option out there for a longer cage for the Ultegra RD to do the same thing, or is that not a removable part?

Last edited by DRZRM; 02-22-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM

You can use a sram 11x36 cassetter (1170) , Ultregra mid cage Rd, and a compact crank with no issues. No, on a large cassette than that.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 AM
extremely tall

The issue isn't necessarily the derailleur/cassette, it's also the hub. I'm building a bike up now with a 142TA rear end, using Stan's Iron Cross wheels. They'll take a regular road 11sp cassette. So in that scenario running ultegra with 11/32 is very straightforward.

Maybe look at other hub options? Hope makes a nice one, and the Stan's ones aren't bad at all, either.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 AM
'97 Ti Legend

Yeah, I've thought of that, I don't quite understand the differences between Shimano Road 10, 11, and MTB 9, 10, 11. I hate to leave such nice hubs in the parts bin, but neither the CK Classic MTB hub nor the Industry Nine Torch MTB hub can take the Shimano 11 road cassette. But I guess it would be easy enough to just use the Shimano road cassette if I picked up some disc DT Swiss 240s and put on the Shimano 11 speed body.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:33 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
You can use a sram 11x36 cassetter (1170) , Ultregra mid cage Rd, and a compact crank with no issues. No, on a large cassette than that.
I've run the setup joosttx posted above. Works a charm. You may need to turn the B screw in all the way, it'll depend on the dropout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Yeah, I've thought of that, I don't quite understand the differences between Shimano Road 10, 11, and MTB 9, 10, 11. I hate to leave such nice hubs in the parts bin, but neither the CK Classic MTB hub nor the Industry Nine Torch MTB hub can take the Shimano 11 road cassette. But I guess it would be easy enough to just use the Shimano road cassette if I picked up some disc DT Swiss 240s and put on the Shimano 11 speed body.
Shimano made the 11-speed mountain cassettes fit on the "old" freehub body as the huge inner cog is adjacent to the spokes as they pull farther away from it than they would on a smaller cog.

Link to this stuff is below but here's a summary.
There IS one other option that would let you run 11-speed road cassettes on a non-11 speed road freehub body (that is on your CK or I9 hubs). There's a guy in Canada who machines out the rear of the cassette to allow using 28 and 32 cassette stacks "Ultegra is 125$ / 105 is 110$ (plus 18$ shipping)." Checked with him last week due to a project I'm working on, he's still making these.
Don't know if you'd have issues with inner clearance or not.

Or you can drop one of the smaller cogs from the stack (14t) and run your 11 as 10. Need to adjust limit screws so you don't use that non-existent 11th.
Take a read through this: http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm
Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
Wow OP that article is almost 3 years old, nothing has changed? It seems like gravel bikes (stoners) are taking over, I can't believe there is still no functional drivetrain. I'm happy to use an 11-40 if that is the only way to go, but the 11-32 Ultegra would be enough for my local climbing. My current rim brake gravel bike has a Campy 12-30 cassette with a typical Record compact crank and mid cage RD. It's OK, I looked forward to the 32, but never thought a 40 would be necessary.

OP I assume that the "longer cage ROAD 11s rear der" is the SRAM? Is there a longer cage you can put on an Ultegra? Or one of those Wolftooth type things that works for 11-speed?

Seems like sandyrs has the right (only?) answer, assuming that I don't want to go 1x11 (which I could do, but I don't love the chainline on my 1x11 MTB drivetrains in the two climbing gears) the 11-40 XT cassette with the Wolftooth Tanpan for Shimano 11 speed. Then a XT rear derailleur (no clutch needed if I stick with 2x) with the long cage.
Y
Is there an option out there for a longer cage for the Ultegra RD to do the same thing, or is that not a removable part?
Mid cage 6800 rear der.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrs View Post
This.

I have the same setup. Ultegra levers, Shimano 11-42 cassette and the Tanpan. XTR RD. I also have the mid-cage Ultegra RD but opted for the XTR. The advantage of the XTR or a SRAM CX/Force 1 RD is the clutch mechanism. Avoid chain drops and slap when bouncing around offroad.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
'97 Ti Legend

So you went 1x11? I'm a bit leery of that because I want this bike to feel capable on the road with slicks as well as on dirt and trails with knobbies. I'm leaning towards trying the Wolftooth tanpan on the 11-40 and keeping the FD with a standard compact. Likley stick an XT in back, but could splurge for the XTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
This.

I have the same setup. Ultegra levers, Shimano 11-42 cassette and the Tanpan. XTR RD. I also have the mid-cage Ultegra RD but opted for the XTR. The advantage of the XTR or a SRAM CX/Force 1 RD is the clutch mechanism. Avoid chain drops and slap when bouncing around offroad.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
This.

Rode with a friend at the VT overland and he had this setup except used a mid-cage Ultegra RD. I was jealous of the terrain he could sit and spin up, especially when I had to stand and risk losing the rear wheel on crappy ground.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:59 AM

A Sugino 11 sp 74/110bcd "compact plus" crank also gets you there with an otherwise standard midcage 5800/6800 drivetrain. A 30/46 or 32/48 crank setup is pretty sweet on gravel, and you can go to an even smaller chainring if you want. Plus, they're not so ugly as 4 arm cranks with limited chainring choices.
11sp OX901d is the expensive model, but an OX601d, officially 10sp, but will work fine as well and is less expensive
https://alexscycle.com/collections/r...-plus-crankset

Last edited by zennmotion; 02-22-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:05 PM

If your hubs are previous generation(narrower) Shimano/SRAM 10-sp version then you have two choices.

The 1st option is to use the 11-sp mountain cassette which will fit this freehub, as previously noted. But you will have to change the RD to a long cage (usually XT or XTR) as the Ultegra will not wrap enough chain to run a 40t or 42t cog. The previously mentioned Wolftooth Tanpan will allow you to run the mtn bike RD with the road shifters. The added benefit is that the XT & XTR RDs have a clutch mechanism which almost eliminates chain slap and dropped chains.

The 2nd option is to change your freehub to 11-sp road. Many hubs allow this though there are many that do not. For DT Swiss hubs it's very simple - that is, no tools necessary. Not sure about CK or I9 though. I'd check w/the manufacturer.

The option I use is the Ultegra med cage RD w/a SRAM 11-36 road cassette. This works quite well even though the RD is rated for a 32 max. It may require an adjustment to the B-screw for cassette/pulley clearance. You can also install a Woftooth Roadlink which is a 1" extension to the derailleur hangar if you need more clearance. A couple of years ago there weren't many wheels/hubs with 12x142 axles w/an 11-sp road freehub and disc brake mounts. I ended up buying mountain bike wheels and converting the freehub to 11-sp road. This has worked out well as the wheels are quite strong and the rims are generally wider than comparable road rims. My wheel of choice is the previous generation DT Swiss XR 1501 wheelset at 20 mm width.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
err, like 10s stuff , I don't think road 11s levers are compatible with shimano MTB 11s rear ders(XTR/XT).

https://www.cxmagazine.com/shimano-x...ible-questions

A single ring set up and longer cage ROAD 11s rear rear der will handle a 42t tho.
Definitely. That's why I said to get a wolftooth tanpan too. It's similar to a j-tek shiftmate and translates the cable pull between the road shifter and mtb rear derailleur.

http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/tanpan