Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 02:45 PM
Administrator

pdmtong -- Thanks for the review.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:40 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I got mine on Saturday and tried packing it. Not sure how this will work for me.

The three "pockets" are slightly different widths - the left=3", center=4", right=3.5" the idea being you fold the left over the center then you fold the right over the left. next loop the elastic band with velcro tab to keep it folded when off the bike.

mounting under the saddle is easy and fast. the roll snugs up nicely under an arione. all these years with an ICS bag leave me wondering if my legs will hit the forward corners as I pedal but since no one here has complained I guess that is not an issue.

I had been using a massive medium ICS bag -
- 700x23 tube
- 12g non-threaded CO2 stored inside the inflator body
- inflator head (screws on to body and pierces cartridge)
- spare 12g non-threaded CO2 (using these since cheap at walmart gun department)
- two lezyne tire irons
- glueless patches
- rema patch kit (glue, patches, sandpaper, schraeder/presta adapter)
- latex glove
- folded paper towel

Since roads here are smooth and flats infrequent, I decided to leave out the rema patch kit (small plastic box - you know the one) and stuff it all into a small ICS bag. been using the small bag for years now.

It took a few tries but because of the 12g inflator body and head what I carry needs to be deliberately packed so I can fold it. switching to a pair of 16g threaded cartridges and just a head would probably help. Anyone asking why two cartridges hasn't had the pleasure of a failure or gaffe with the first cartridge.

the roll is nicely made. but since what I have works fine, and I have not experienced any ICS clip failures. I am left wondering if I really am improving my situation with the silca.

(+) absolutely secure to the saddle
(-) a PITA for me to pack and roll my contents, likely forcing me to change inflation pieces to use more easily.

I'll have to play around with it further.
If you don't like it long-term, let me know

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
I got mine on Saturday and tried packing it. Not sure how this will work for me.

The three "pockets" are slightly different widths - the left=3", center=4", right=3.5" the idea being you fold the left over the center then you fold the right over the left. next loop the elastic band with velcro tab to keep it folded when off the bike.

mounting under the saddle is easy and fast. the roll snugs up nicely under an arione. all these years with an ICS bag leave me wondering if my legs will hit the forward corners as I pedal but since no one here has complained I guess that is not an issue.

I had been using a massive medium ICS bag -
- 700x23 tube
- 12g non-threaded CO2 stored inside the inflator body
- inflator head (screws on to body and pierces cartridge)
- spare 12g non-threaded CO2 (using these since cheap at walmart gun department)
- two lezyne tire irons
- glueless patches
- rema patch kit (glue, patches, sandpaper, schraeder/presta adapter)
- latex glove
- folded paper towel

Since roads here are smooth and flats infrequent, I decided to leave out the rema patch kit (small plastic box - you know the one) and stuff it all into a small ICS bag. been using the small bag for years now.

It took a few tries but because of the 12g inflator body and head what I carry needs to be deliberately packed so I can fold it. switching to a pair of 16g threaded cartridges and just a head would probably help. Anyone asking why two cartridges hasn't had the pleasure of a failure or gaffe with the first cartridge.

the roll is nicely made. but since what I have works fine, and I have not experienced any ICS clip failures. I am left wondering if I really am improving my situation with the silca.

(+) absolutely secure to the saddle
(-) a PITA for me to pack and roll my contents, likely forcing me to change inflation pieces to use more easily.

I'll have to play around with it further.
Nice overview. I have the roll as well and it took some playing around to get everything I wanted to fit. One thing that helped was using an ultralight tube as the spare and then re-rolling it to make it tighter and longer. I use a couple rubber bands to cinch it down and affix a threaded CO2 with head loosely attached to the tube. This makes it so the tube + CO2 + inflator take up roughly the same space as a regular tube. I started doing this a few years ago to fit more stuff into an Arundel Uno and it's served me well for other bags, including the Silca roll. The Genuine Innovation heads with the spring loaded "trigger" work great and are tiny compared with most.

I don't carry a second CO2 in the roll (I prefer to carry a small pump in my pocket), but I do also carry a multi-tool, spare chain master link, glueless patches, tire boots, flat blue Park levers (they're the smallest usable ones I've found), a valve extender and some emergency cash. It all seemed like too much for the roll at first, but with some careful packing it fit. I think the roll material is softening up a bit, and getting more compact as a result, the more I use it and move it around bikes. I was impressed with the craftsmanship at first, but also had my concerns that I'd like it as much as my Uno or other small bags. I'm liking it more and more now that I've had it for a while, and the absolute secure fit to the saddle, as you mention, is a big reason.

Anyway, everyone has their preferences for what they carry and this bag may not work for everyone. But if it does, it seems like the Silca will last a long time, which I wish I could say about some of the other bags I've used.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:25 AM

Guess I'll be "that guy". $48 for a seat bag???

Tim
Old 02-22-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Guess I'll be "that guy". $48 for a seat bag???

Tim
True, but as many of my non cycling friends say when they hear the price of one of my bikes, " $4,000 for a bicycle!"

All relative

I have one, love it.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:51 AM

I have one of these and really like it. The closure system allows the bag to be tight against the seat/post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2017, 10:32 AM

I have the pre-BOA roll from Interbike a few years ago and use it in my jersey pocket instead of on the saddle because 1) I like the clean look and 2) I was too lazy to figure out the "proper" way to secure it lol

I just purchased their "EOLO wallet" and have yet to use it but intend to pack it and try it in a jersey pocket soon as it's less bulky than the roll and should sit even more comfortably on my lower back.

J
Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 AM
v a n i l l a

so we finally got some sunny albeit California chilly weekend days to ride. everything was going great and then fate stepped in to motivate my premio decision.
first ride - rear flat. i hate rear flats. as ryun said, nice to have all my repair stuff in pockets and not vomiting out of a seatbag.
found out my threaded 12g inflator head leaks...so 12g threaded now relegated to mtb where i can carry all the inexpensive threaded CO2 cylinders I want in my hydration pak.

so fate now dictates I repack my premio with two 16g threaded cylinders and a much smaller inflation head since threaded 12g technology is dead.
Left = paper towel + two latex gloves (for use fixing flat in wet/rain where its a mess)
Center = 700 x 23-28 tube, two tire levers, 16g cylinder, lezyne glueless patches, rema repair glue in a small ziploc in case of leak
Right = second 16g cylinder, sand paper, patches. I decided to lose the plastic box that patch kits come in (too thick to fold the premio) and put the glue near the center pocket flap fold so it would never get crushed when the BOA cinches down

Upon installation nice and tight. cinched to the diagonal portion of the rail as it leaves the clamp. zero thigh rub.

I noticed my Fizik ICS was having some play in the bolted hinge point where the clip attaches to the bag. Doubt it would fail since to do so would mean cracking through the plastic hinge but the movement leads to some small amount of bag sway and noise from the contents inside (keys hitting gas cylinders). Upon closer inspection it appears the spacer plastic on the bag side of the bolt is not as thick as it is on my other ICS bag. this allows some vertical play between the clip piece and the bag. It may have always been there. I just can't recall. Interestingly, this small ICS bag (special sea otter edition in white) as compared to the standard had two zippers and has a deeper tail section.

I'm moving ahead with the premio roll now that I have re-configured the contents. I'll still keep my ICS for now since that was a solution that did work nicely for me.

Silca Premio Seat Roll
(+) able to carry everything I want/need once I played around with the configuration and contents
(+) super tight and secure under the saddle
(+) no contact with my thighs/bibs or the carbon seat post I paid $$ for
(+) other riders must think I am wealthy for having paid $50 for a seat bag

(-) 30 seconds to install, align, scrunch, tighten versus 2 seconds with ICS
(-) other riders must think I am stupid for having paid $50 for a seat bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Guess I'll be "that guy". $48 for a seat bag??? Tim
Says the guy with a custom seven 622 SLX

Last edited by pdmtong; 02-27-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 AM

My experience has ben similar to others here.

Very high quality bag. Love the closure system. Love the fact that it attaches to the seat rails only and stays there. Really well built. This thing is going to last at least 2 decades.

Takes a bit of fiddling to sort out how you want to carry everything and have it roll nice and tight.

The thick bomb-proof material is a blessing and a curse. It is going to last a very long time. But is is also thick which means that part of the trick of rolling it tight is for the material its self to get out of its own way.

The price - The answer is simple - if you don't think that it is worth spending the money on it, then don't. This applies to everything.
...But I certainly don't want to hear it from anyone running fancy wheels...