Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 06:13 PM

ot: digital device for reading local newspaper?

Have not subscribed to the paper for quite some time but thinking I'd like to know more about the local scene. I have a Nexus 7 tablet, but it does not work so well based on how the paper formats for Android or maybe the tablet is just too small? I also have a 10 inch Asus Chromebook, but the there's no app for it.

Neighbor has bigger Ipad and reading the paper on it is a pleasure.

I am thinking maybe an Ipad 3 with retina would do the trick. Got a used one you might want to sell?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:16 AM

Re:

I am retired and my wife still works. Couple of mornings a week I will go to breakfast and bring my Ipad Air. It is easy to use and works well with the local paper's app.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Dumb question, why do you need an app to read the paper? Can you not just fire up a browser on whatever device you care to use and go in through their web portal? If that is the case, wouldn't the Chromebook already be sufficient?

As an aside, Google is bringing Android App capabilities into the Chrome OS world. Thus far, it is still a bit of a shaky proposition and only works on a small number of recently released Chromebooks. Despite previous reports, Google has emphatically stated they are note merging Chrome and Android.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:56 PM

I have first generation Samsung Chromebook, it works great with the local paper.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:14 PM

I use an iPad for everything. I had a Kindle with monochromatic liquid ink technology for a while a few years back. The Kindle was much better to read outside in glare or direct sunlight, but I still prefer my iPad, which has become a laptop computer replacement that I use for almost everything, including light-duty word processing, document management, spreadsheets, reading with the Kindle App, web browsing, streaming and watching video, and even watching TV in bed when my wife doesn't want to be disturbed.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:27 PM

smart question!

It turns out that the app is an exact copy of the hard copy newspaper that you can scroll around and see the ads, etc. The website is only an ongoing and timely selection of articles that are mostly today's news. I can log into the site on my desktop or Chromebook, but what you see is a curated version of the actual paper. To "see" the paper, you need the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post
Dumb question, why do you need an app to read the paper? Can you not just fire up a browser on whatever device you care to use and go in through their web portal? If that is the case, wouldn't the Chromebook already be sufficient?

As an aside, Google is bringing Android App capabilities into the Chrome OS world. Thus far, it is still a bit of a shaky proposition and only works on a small number of recently released Chromebooks. Despite previous reports, Google has emphatically stated they are note merging Chrome and Android.

Last edited by eddief; 02-22-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
It turns out that the app is an exact copy of the hard copy newspaper that you can scroll around and see the ads, etc. The website is only an ongoing and timely selection of articles that are mostly today's news. I can log into the site on my desktop or Chromebook, but what you see is a curated version of the actual paper. To "see" the paper, you need the app.
that sounds awesome. My local newspaper's digital subscription is just unfettered access to their garbage website, rather than anything resembling the curated content of the print edition.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:59 PM

My Kindle Fire HD bought new on a recent Amazon sale for $69 works fine for me for this purpose.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
Interesting, I suppose, but it does cut you off at the knees if you want to look at the 'paper' from a desktop. It wouldn't make any difference if you had a Mac, Windows PC, Linux machine, or Chromebook; all are SOL under that short sided model. Maybe there is something I'm not understanding, but as a multi-platform user, I loathe such a plan.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 AM

update

it was hidden. you can go to the website and easily navigate full, current, daily newspaper...uncurated.