Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 PM

Awesome bike, the C40..
Old 02-21-2017, 05:22 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Thanks for input. inclining toward Neutrons but could possibly get Shamals for just $100 more. Am probably over thinking pros and cons as both are nice wheels, so would really welcome any input from forumites.
Find a local wheelbuilder who can design and build a set specifically for you(?).

Like DT, White Industry, PMP or even Record hubs. DT411 rims
Old 02-21-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Find a local wheelbuilder who can design and build a set specifically for you(?).

Like DT, White Industry, PMP or even Record hubs. DT411 rims
That is very good advice, thanks. Currently have maxed bike budget so just looking for a decent wheelset along the lines of the Campy prebuilts to get the C40 rolling. Don't think there is that significant a difference between them (Shamals or Neutrons) for my everyday purposes. Down the road - pun intended - hope to upgrade to wheels that would be appreciably better, whether Campy or handbuilt.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM
ergottWheels

Shamals in NYC? I wouldn't recommend it. They send out wheels with misthreaded/frozen nipples at times and if you try to true them the spoke breaks. Ask me how I know, I'm 2/4 with servicing them. Nipple just won't turn on spoke. It's a system that offers no advantage worth it considering the hassles involved.

Pick wheels that can be serviced whether they be from a box or custom.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:07 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
That is very good advice, thanks. Currently have maxed bike budget so just looking for a decent wheelset along the lines of the Campy prebuilts to get the C40 rolling.
If you think you can't get handbuilts for Shamal ($900 if you are talking about internet pricing) money you need to look harder. They are all over the area.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
Shamals in NYC? I wouldn't recommend it. They send out wheels with misthreaded/frozen nipples at times and if you try to true them the spoke breaks. Ask me how I know, I'm 2/4 with servicing them. Nipple just won't turn on spoke. It's a system that offers no advantage worth it considering the hassles involved.

Thanks for advice. And yes, I could always look harder. I can currently get Shamals online for $660-700. I think the handbuilds Old Potato suggested would not be less than that (and would no doubt a very fine wheelset.)
Old 02-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Thanks for advice. And yes, I could always look harder. I can currently get Shamals online for $660-700. I think the handbuilds Old Potato suggested would not be less than that (and would no doubt a very fine wheelset.)
You can get fantastic hand built wheels for $700! If you want the Shamals get them, no need to convince you or us. Your $ your choice...
Old 02-21-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
You can get fantastic hand built wheels for $700! If you want the Shamals get them, no need to convince you or us. Your $ your choice...
Point well taken. Wheelbuilders here and forumites have forgotten more about wheels than I will probably ever know. Old Potatoes suggestion seems excellent, as I said, and good to know fantastic custom wheels can be had for $700. Did start out with a specific question between two wheels, but did welcome other advice so thank you for that. Cheers.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 PM

I've ridden a lot of handbuilts, both light racy ones and traditions 32x ones, and they're just not as quick and fun as a high-end alloy factory wheel... took a long time to admit it, but that's how it is, IMO.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post

Ahh, barber-pole spokes! Yup, seen that more than once. Aluminum spoke, steel nipple. Such fun to fish the new nipple thru the rim with a magnet..

Agree..on ALL wheels with aluminum spokes..
Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
DT350 hubs, DT411 rims, Sapim race spokes, 20R front , 24 2 cross rear-$660 shipped to you.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:58 AM

You can get shammals for 700 bucks but does it come w/ a warranty?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
I've ridden a lot of handbuilts, both light racy ones and traditions 32x ones, and they're just not as quick and fun as a high-end alloy factory wheel... took a long time to admit it, but that's how it is, IMO.
What magical qualities do you think that factories imbue upon their aluminum rim wheels that custom builders do not? Was the existence of these magical qualities confirmed in blind testing?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 AM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
DT350 hubs, DT411 rims, Sapim race spokes, 20R front , 24 2 cross rear-$660 shipped to you.
20/24 out of your shop!?!

I never thought I'd see the day. Welcome to the dark side!!

PS: That's a nice build
Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
One term is fully subjective the other is not. When you say quick what data do you have for such a claim?