Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Each Corner a Gift/Tuscany 2015

Just got back from L'Eroica.

Spent 10days over there, three in Florence and seven east of Siena. Stayed at a B&B near Castelnuovo Berandenga. Didn't try to ride out of Florence (although people do), the traffic and roadway complexity was too much for me. Did ride most days once in the country. Also did the 208K L'Eroica event while there.

All in all an incredible cycling experience. It is hard to describe how beautiful the riding is, particularly on 2nd and 3rd level paved secondary roads. Very little traffic and what there was was respectful of cyclists. Nothing is flat or straight. The scenery spectacular on every scale. The people nice, the food great. I'll post some pictures to give you an idea.

As for L'Eroica, well that was nothing like I expected. This was a SERIOUS ride (significantly more difficult than the 160K D2R2) and most of the guys doing it (myself excepted) were impressive cyclists. Nobody gave a crap about how nice your bike or outfit was, only your legs, lungs, and heart meant anything. As I posted elsewhere,

"Much more a test of fortitude than a vintage bicycle celebration. Nothing like the contemplative cruise through a beautiful countryside I had anticipated. Rain, mud, untold hours of washboard hammering, grinding ascents, squeeze and pray loose muddy descents, this ride (the 208k) was punishing and a lot of beautiful bikes took an awful beating during it. As for scenery, forget it. Truthfully 1/2 the time you are focused on your front wheel trying to find a tolerable path through teeth rattling washboard, the other 1/2 either with nose to your stem grinding up endless steep stuff or plummeting down wet roads focused only on your line and speed.

But, oh, what incredible cycling. Flying through the dark hanging onto the wheels of better men, shutting out pain on climb after climb, passing through age and fear to breathe exhilaration and youth on paved descents. And great moments. Watching a powerful young rider grab the saddle of his elderly father and assist him up kilometers of steep gravel. Befriending a tireless Italian paratrooper on a broken squeaking Colnago (42x15 was his lowest available gear plus he flatted twice and lost his water bottle) with likely more determination, heart, and legs than anyone else in the ride, the first light below Siena, the low slung rainbow hugging the hills north of Asciano, drinking a post-ride beer while caked in mud and totally exhausted amongst the chaos of Gaiole.

Life is made better by doing things that are hard. This ride is hard. Tuscany is gorgeous and offers truly wonderful cycling on quiet winding roads through hills of breath-taking beauty. Plan your trip to do that before L'Eroica. L'Eroica is something different, something about you more than your bike and about a connection to others past and present. Respect it and it will reward you."

Whatever, if you get a chance to go to Tuscany definitely do it. If you want to test yourself than throw in L'Eroica at the end of it. And do it on your own or with a few friends. Take your bike, preferably a steel one with decent sized tires (think comfort over speed since the scenery is so beautiful you end up cruising rather than pushing). Find a place to stay, use it as a base, check out some roads on Ride with GPS, and have a go at it. I'd try to avoid the canned tours. I saw a number of them over there. Babysitters, support vehicles, mostly sloooow out of shape clients with 1-2 real cyclists way out ahead (and eventually having to wait), routes on busy roads.........you can do much better and cheaper on your own.

Ciao.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuscanrd1.jpg (58.8 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg tuscanrd2.jpg (70.8 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg tuscanrd3.jpg (69.2 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg tuscanrd4.jpg (64.2 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg tuscanrd5.jpg (84.5 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg tuscanrd7.jpg (67.4 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg tuscanrd8.jpg (72.1 KB, 376 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 03:10 PM

Some more scenery. Each corner brought another gift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tusrd1.jpg (51.4 KB, 379 views)
File Type: jpg tusrd2.jpg (62.3 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg tusrd4.jpg (59.7 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg marnatituscany.jpg (83.2 KB, 381 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 03:12 PM

I hate you! :P
Old 10-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Lovely...thanks for sharing.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:26 PM

Those pictures are super cool! Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 PM

Beautiful photos... I spent some time in Tuscany this spring (caught a stage of the Giro start in Montecatini Terme) and it is truly a very special place. Highly recommended. Florence is wonderful too.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:27 PM

Been there 3 times during my MTB days...

God's country.
Nothing really compares to it.
Scenery, food, weather...

Time to go back!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:09 AM

Organized ride in Tuscany

I did a commercial trip in Tuscany a few years back and had a wonderful time. I went with Cinghalie, Andy Hampsten's company. Our group ranged from some Cat 2 -3 racers as well as some moderate recreational cyclists. We had enough support that everyone was well taken care of, including extra miles and more Strada Bianco for the fast folks.

Not a cheap trip by any stretch of the imagination, but clearly a class operation. A repeat trip is on my list.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:11 AM

This is gorgeous
Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Everything is connected

Thanks for the post...great write-up.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the pics.

Reminds me of our trip there six years ago. I would definitely encourage folks to bring bikes and go on daily adventure rides. We did.

Also, Love your Marnati!!!! Any other pics of that beauty available?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:27 AM

Awesome post, pics, and account of what sounds like an epic trip.

Planning on going in the next couple of years. Renting a house and having family come out to enjoy it. Will definitely have to time it to the event to take advantage of the ride.

How hard was it to bring that beautiful bike? Also, did you encounter regular riders/bikes much?

Thanks for the post.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:39 AM

Thanks for sharing! Definitely on my list...
Old 10-10-2015, 07:53 AM

I hesitated opening this thread because I knew I'd be jealous......

9 years ago, we went to Italy, for one part of the trip, we rented a villa with 3 other couples in San Gimgnano, kinda near Siena. I brought bike stuff hoping I could get at least one bike ride in. We found a place that rented scooters that also had some bikes to rent, and decent ones at that, and they were a decent fit.

Well, that was probably my favorite day of our trip. We did a semi-aimless ride, ended upriding along the top of a ridge with gorgeous views, stopping in a small village for a snack, and thoroughly enloying the ride. It really was an experience. The OP's pics say it all.

Sounds like you had a great trip, thanks for the post.

Enjoy your ride,
Murph
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

First L'Eroica and you do the 'varsity' event-Forza!!

My bucket list but shorter ones. Not keen on hurting myself.

Good on ya tho!!