Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2015, 06:38 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I have a couple of tool rolls. I really like them and prefer them to bags. They are smaller and look better.

I did just buy a tool roll package on ebay lol so I have 3 tool rolls coming. I may try to sell some here for a good deal since I don't need all 3.

I have different size rolls so it depends on which one I am using I take more or less stuff. Usually I take a tube, tire lever, tool, CO2 head (sometimes also a co2 cartridge), some silicon gloves and some rim velocity rim plugs.

Sold rolls and bags. Rolls from SoulCraft. Depended on how much stuff you took. If a lot, tool roll made sense, for not much(I have a tubie tire with tubies, wrapped with a small, metal tire lever. A tube, patch kit and 1 tire lever for clinchers) I prefer a small bag that fits snugly under the rails, much like a well wrapped tubular tire.

Don't like stuff like tubes/tires and such in pocket..cuz ya forget them! Plus these days, early ride, cool, at end of ride, warm, gotta put all that arm warmer/hat/gloves stuff in pockets. Never use co2.

In many years of riding, I have needed a tool twice. Cleat came loose once and some knucklehead I was riding with lowered my seat, thinking that would be 'funny'..it wasn't.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 10-10-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
Put all your stuff in 3 jersey pockets and from the back you look just like a chipmunk with the mumps. When did that become stylish?

Never went out.....
Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=Ozrider;1839472]I'm with @joe.e on this.
Arundel Uno and only my mobile and an energy bar in my pockets.
Why weigh yourself down like a pack horse and have your sleek Jersey all lumpy and bumpy with all sorts of crap stuffed in your pockets?
On top of that, it's really uncomfortable sitting at a coffee shop with all the stuff in your pockets digging into your back.

Ditto both.

I've tried both ways and I'm back to a small seat pack. I liked the look of the bare seat post, but all of the necessities in my pockets weighted my jersey down and I had to take the pack out to sit in a chair.

Only thing in the jersey now is phone, food, and warmers.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:13 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post

Sold rolls and bags. Rolls from SoulCraft. Depended on how much stuff you took. If a lot, tool roll made sense, for not much(I have a tubie tire with tubies, wrapped with a small, metal tire lever. A tube, patch kit and 1 tire lever for clinchers) I prefer a small bag that fits snugly under the rails, much like a well wrapped tubular tire.

Don't like stuff like tubes/tires and such in pocket..cuz ya forget them! Plus these days, early ride, cool, at end of ride, warm, gotta put all that arm warmer/hat/gloves stuff in pockets. Never use co2.

In many years of riding, I have needed a tool twice. Cleat came loose once and some knucklehead I was riding with lowered my seat, thinking that would be 'funny'..it wasn't.

The silicon gloves are awesome. Weight almost nothing, take no space and keep my hands clean if I have to do anything with the chain. Saw this local mechanic carrying them and poached the idea. Haven't had to use them yet but it will happen.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM

bespoke cordura roll/pouch carried in jersey pocket

Old 10-10-2015, 09:19 AM

or find a plastic liquor bottle on the side of the rode and make your own

https://plus.google.com/photos/10770...67692655856769
Old 10-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

For the mtn bike I like to use Backcountry Research TulBag in my jersey pocket and a Mutherload strap on my seattube.

For road, it's the same tulbag but I put it in the Jannd tubular bag, Arundel Dual pack or RoadRunner pack. The size of the rear pack varies on time of year and if it's road or CX into the woods.

Never have had good luck with tool rolls or other things that go up under the saddle.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:23 AM

haven't used a seat bag in ages...they don't work for me from either an aesthetic or functional perspective.

road-side essentials (tube, CO2 rig, two spare cylinders, levers, money, med ins card) fit nicely in a ziploc sammich bag which rolls up snugly and goes in the middle jersey pocket.

since the ziploc is clear, I can easily see what's inside. when I used a seat bag, I invariably ended up dumping the entire contents to find something. and there's no irritating jingling noises.

also, it's CHEAP. if it gets dirty or torn, a new one is like $0.12. the one I'm using now is over a year old and still perfect.

swapping a bag from bike to bike is a PITA. buying multiple bags and contents is a waste of money.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:10 AM

seat bag vs tool roll

I'm digging the Speedsleev on my MTB. No way stuff is falling out. Works fine with a dropper. Saves back pockets for a second bottle, a banana, etc.

They work great on road bikes too.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:03 PM

seat bag

Last trip in Asia I got a small Swalbe seat bag. It tucks nicely behind the Arionne saddle. I managed to squeeze a spare tube, levers, CO2 cartridge, and nozzle. I keep my back pockets for phone, food, and gloves/vest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17225064565_487c49aca5_z.jpg (84.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 22094771935_0470ac8e34_z.jpg (93.7 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 21473616823_b05df37e97_z.jpg (47.1 KB, 178 views)
Old 10-11-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post

Wallyman, I like your better mousetrap style.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:23 PM

^ Yeah - it's nice, but some of us carry other things, like CO2, a few tire patches and glue, and a very small tool kit. All this goes just fine in the Arundel Tubi. Even though it's just slightly larger than the rollup, I just have zero interest in carrying this stuff around on my person. I'd rather save that space for other things, including at this time of year, arm/leg warmers and other kit that needs to be modular with the climate.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:57 PM

Never Go Full Fred

Unless you're riding for fun, to the store or on a pub ride.

No jersey action. The Roadrunner Fred Bag

Beater tubes and pump for Beater Bika. Extra err'tang (saddle bag in a saddle bag) cos you can't risk getting stuck in Skid Row.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 PM

seat bag vs tool roll

I use an Arundle saddle bag which is good except it semi blocks my rear light when I do evening rides in summer...

Last edited by Wakatel_Luum; 10-11-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:15 PM

I'm over carrying stuff around on my back, even in jersey pockets. I make big roll top seat bags that fit loads of crap. 2 tubes, tools, patch kits, gloves, windbreaker, snacks, etc.

I made a tool roll once but it made me paranoid under the saddle, I like the tool roll for the jersey pocket. But I'm over stuff in my pockets.

Last edited by bicycletricycle; 10-11-2015 at 10:18 PM.