Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2015, 01:02 PM

seat bag vs tool roll

So I'm currently using a seat bag that has seen a few too many years, and I'm not sure if I want to replace it with a toll roll or another seat bag (since I've only ever used a bag). Seems to me that a bag will allow for faster access while being bigger (which is both a pro and a con, I guess), while a roll will allow better compartmentalization. Anyway, I'm interested in hearing from people who use tool rolls, or who have switched from bags, or any other advice you've got (unless its "lol put the stuff in your jersey pockets and only use one water bottle to be pro")

thanks!

ps: i take: spare tube, patch kit, bike multitool, two levers, co2 nozzle, and two cartridges
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM

I'm in favor of tool rolls. Sometimes guilty of putting the roll in my jersey pocket too. Never really liked seat bags, always a rattle or tie down in the wrong place snagging the bibs. Tool roll cinched up tight is quiet and secure.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Lanterne rouge

I put all the stuff you mention in a Rapha Essentials case and stick it in my jersey pocket.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
I Never really liked seat bags, always a rattle or tie down in the wrong place snagging the bibs. Tool roll cinched up tight is quiet and secure.
this is actually important to me. I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I spent like an hour last week trying to track down a mystery noise until I realized it was my crap clinking together in my seat bag
Old 10-09-2015, 01:23 PM

I tried some tool rolls but never really liked the way they secured to the seat and security of stuff falling out. I like the Arundel Tubi and Dual seat bags - nice profile and there is no Velcro (not attached to seatpost) to rub against your shorts.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:24 PM
but not really

I had a sourun tool roll and it would never stay put correctly. I prefer a small saddle bag like the lezyne models for the road/cx bike. On the mtb, I have one of these under the saddle for tube, CO2 and tire lever: http://dirtwire.tv/2013/02/review-ba...ctually-works/
Old 10-09-2015, 01:25 PM

I tried some tool rolls but never really liked the way they secured to the seat and security of stuff falling out. I like the Arundel Tubi and Dual seat bags - nice profile and everything fits snugly (no rattling). Plus there is no Velcro (not attached to seatpost) to rub against your shorts.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:30 PM

One of the few downsides of big comfortable tires is the large bulky tubes... Worse if you carry two. So on the GR, I have been using seat bags by Acorn. Solid, long wearing, good looking, don't sway. Swallow two big 650B tubes and tools to fix (almost) anything... On the DC I have been using bags by EOGear. They have nice solid mounting frames but the bags themselves are light and soft sided so they compress very well...
Old 10-09-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsepa View Post
I put all the stuff you mention in a Rapha Essentials case and stick it in my jersey pocket.
Just saw that. Really sweet. And the Team Sky edition for $35 is nicely priced.

That said, I'm all about taking as little as possible.
I bought an Arundel Uno, Which is just about the smallest seatwedge going.
It fits a 700C tube, a very small multitool (a Specialized Road EMT), two small tire levers, a CO2 cartridge and the regulator.
There's a tiny bit of extra room for, say, a key or a credit card, but I don't see it as something you fish into on every ride.
It fits very nicely under the saddle with just one strap, although the strap is almost *too* long--I'm only hitting the edge of the Velcro. I'd also love a tab upon which to hook a taillight.

The other minimalist alternative?
The Aeroclam. A NZ-made hard pack that fits tightly under the saddle rails.
I've considered it but the Arundel is working fine for now.

http://cyckit.com/product/aeroclam-p1/
Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 PM

3 jersey pockets, more than that you are on a bicycle tour.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.e View Post
ps: i take: spare tube, patch kit, bike multitool, two levers, co2 nozzle, and two cartridges
This isn't a ton of stuff. Pretty much the same I carry. I use an arundel uno with a tube, patch kit, multitool, levers, tire boot, and spare link. It all fits snugly in the bag and the straps hold it very tightly against the underside of the saddle. It never moves around or makes any noise. Depending on the length of the ride I'll either throw a mini-pump or a mini-pump + second tube and CO2 into my jersey pocket. The Arundel Dual is a nice bag too, but it's pretty big unless you're carrying multiple tubes, CO2s and a bigger multitool. That's what I use when doing big rides away from civilization. I've tried multiple tool rolls and always end up coming back to the Arudel.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I tried some tool rolls but never really liked the way they secured to the seat and security of stuff falling out. I like the Arundel Tubi and Dual seat bags - nice profile and everything fits snugly (no rattling). Plus there is no Velcro (not attached to seatpost) to rub against your shorts.

This.

or

Just use your jersey pocketz.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:26 PM

I carry this same kit as well and use the Arundel. The way I see it, a roll offers me no advantage: if I flat, all this crap is coming out as needed, and it goes right back in easy peasy....
Old 10-09-2015, 03:13 PM

Arundel Dual....

Always carry 2 tubes ( with 80mm stems ) you just never know, do you?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:53 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have a couple of tool rolls. I really like them and prefer them to bags. They are smaller and look better.

I did just buy a tool roll package on ebay lol so I have 3 tool rolls coming. I may try to sell some here for a good deal since I don't need all 3.

I have different size rolls so it depends on which one I am using I take more or less stuff. Usually I take a tube, tire lever, tool, CO2 head (sometimes also a co2 cartridge), some silicon gloves and some rim velocity rim plugs.