Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
I wonder if the trail/wheel flop was too high on the Romulus, or too much weight on the FC?
I don't know and don't take what I'm saying too strongly. It was a nice bike and honestly a good century bike did everything well but just wasn't special to me. Could also be the way I had it built mix up of shimano, dura-ace shifters, 105 and ultegra and I normally ride campy. Heavy wheels with phil hubs. I've used the same wheels on the Kirk with campy and a J-tech shiftmate and they were fine although even the Kirk feels better with a lighter wheel set.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:39 PM

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite (for entertainment value, not validity of the content) blog posts...

Garbage Pail Bikes
Old 10-08-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I had an S&S coupled Waterford All-Rounder. Green with cream/white lugs and cutouts. I bought it used and later sold it - I wonder if it might have been the same frame???

I tried using it as a mountain bike but the stays were too long to keep my weight on the back wheel when it got really sketchy, and the M-bars killed my hands - it was tough enough but not responsive enough. Great on dirt roads though. Finally made it a light touring bike - it was overkill for most of my riding but I did a lot of fun rides on that thing. I rode the Cabot Trail on it - some of the toughest climbing I've ever done. In retrospect I wish I'd had a somewhat lighter and more responsive bike for that, but I had the low gears and the way that bike handled kept me from getting too exuberant, which probably made it easier to get into a rhythm and just keep moving...

-Ray
No, not the same one. Mine was dark blue.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
.... I've heard Dave and Tom share some special sauce they use to design and build.
Yeah, they do. Grant had that too, but he doesn't seem to like that flavor as much anymore. My first semi-custom Riv road was as quick and responsive and fun as anything I've ridden. Just not quite as well balanced for me as the fully custom Spectrum...

-Ray

Last edited by Ray; 10-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I had a Rambouillet. It was beautiful, but I felt it rode a bit truckish. My Hampsten SB has the same clearance etc but rides like a classic road bike.

Peter White has always been gracious to me.
And to me as well. I had an orange Rambouillet; sold it because it was too stiff for me. Perhaps that's what you mean by "truckish" vs the "lively ride" of a classic road bike.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Yes exactly - a bit like a UPS van without a load - stiff on the springs. I think the Rambouillet was .9-.6-.9 and OS. My Hampsten is also OS tubing, but .7-.45-.7 thickness mostly. I now believe that 9-6-9 is really best used in classic tube diameters, except for touring bikes perhaps.

Incidentally, your orange George Longstaff is what made me sell my Rambouillet. I was looking at pictures here or on IBOB and said, I'd rather have that. I never did get a Longstaff as he passed away only a few years later, but I've had lots of other nice bikes.

And if I were going to get a cyclocampeur/commuter, I'd be delighted to ride a Riv. It may be a cult, but it's a friendly cult with wool shirts.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:42 PM

Let's see...I've had an Atlantis, (2) Rams, a Romulus, a Saluki and a Bleriot.

I really liked my Romulus, I wish I had kept that bike because it was great. It wasn't flashy but rode great. I upgraded the Rom with a Rambouillet and while it looked cuter it didn't ride as well, wasn't responsive and felt like dragging a$$.

I didn't care for the 650b options, they were nice to try out but had no qualms about selling them.

I do miss my Atlantis. I'll probably scoop up another one in the future.

But yeah, the RBW Owners Bunch Google group is a great place to check out for discussions that toe the Riv party line. In addition, there's some very strange conversations. One recent one that caught my eye was about aluminum transference from pedals to bare feet. I guess the OP rode barefoot for some reason.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 PM

??????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Wow, Don - I've seen your posts around various forums over the years (weren't/aren't you also active on the IBOB group?). I didn't realize you were as old as you are. GOOD ON YOU! I'm almost 40 years younger than you are and I've backed off a lot from when I was riding longer and harder. I have trouble imagining myself riding at 90+. Hell, I have trouble imagining myself at 90+ to begin with!

Rivendell's ideology fits me really well too. But for my everyday road bikes, my custom Spectum frames fit me better than my Rivs ever did. But the way I have them set up includes a lot of Grant's input...

-Ray
Sorry, I am 63
Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
Sorry, I am 63
Makes more sense, as Christian pointed out. Well, then, here's to a good deal more good riding!

-Ray
Old 10-09-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
Sorry, I am Only 63
Fixed it for you Don
Old 10-09-2015, 09:44 AM

I find it interesting that some guys felt differences in the rides of Rambouillet and Romulus because when Grant introduced the Rom he stated that the ride would be virtually identical to the Ram because the geos were identical and the only differences were simpler lugs/paint and a couple of tubes (seat stays I think) that were not heat-treated on the Rom.

The Rom was sold as an almost-complete bike so the buyer only needed to add saddle/pedals while the Ram was sold frame/fork/headset. I am sure I might be able to sense differences in wheels/tires but not a couple of different stays and lugs.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 10-09-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM

I had an Atlantis maybe 10-12 years ago. It was a 56 cm so it took 26" wheels. It handled really well and was stable. I once described the ride as "stately." It wasn't sluggish but you wouldn't take it on a fast club ride. I really liked the 26" wheels.

I later built a frame from OS Dedacciai Zero Uno using the exact same geometry and it was a totally different ride. Still stable and smooth, but now sprightly.

The Atlantis would be good for your commute. It could carry the 40 pounds and it has all kinds of options for tires and configuring shifters, handlebars, etc. It's easy to ride. I ran a triple at first and got chain suck more than once. I think Peter White had something about this on his web site - maybe he still does.

I was a big Riv fan years ago, but now, not so much. As today's road gear gets more electronic, hydraulic and carbon, it seems to me that Riv goes even further in the opposite direction. Too anti-racer for me.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:26 PM

I was a big fan in the mid-late 90's of most all of their stuff..kind of gotten away from them seemed lots of the bikes got pretty strange and really didn't excite me much anymore.
I still have my (1998?) Riv road built by Joe Stark,my first custom frame,beautiful bike but felt kind of overbuilt compared to most of my other steel frames so never really rode it alot. also have a Bleriot and Orange Ram.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:07 AM

I have an orange Rambouillet ...

... that I primarily use for credit card touring and quick trips to the grocery. Out-fitted with Open Pros & Roll-y Pol-ys, I like the stable feeling of this bike, especially in loose gravel and on trails.

In my youth on a farm, I raised and showed Rambouillet sheep, so it was a natural for me to own a Rambouillet bike.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:20 PM

I have a Romulus that I've ridden many miles on. It cost me $1,400 new, fully equipped, except pedals -- a real bargain, considering that the frame was basically the same as the Rambouillet, built by Toyo. Over time, I've changed most of the components, and now only the derailleurs and brake calipers are original (Shimano 105 9-speed). It's set up as a long-distance bike, with 36-spoke wheels, Carradice bag, and stem just below saddle level. It handles and descends great, and only climbs slowly because the rider is slow. I have no plans to sell it.