Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Beautiful bikes. I wouldn't mind one someday.

Their staff is another story. Called and spoke to Mark a while ago. Never had encountered such snootiness, even compared to some elite shops in my area. Just wanted some frame info and felt like I was disturbing him somehow. Must have taken his CS training from Peter White.
I can only surmise that you smelled of Lycra and chamois cream to get such a response. They have always been so nice to me in my wool/cotton riding kit.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:12 PM

Smelled of lyca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I can only surmise that you smelled of Lycra and chamois cream to get such a response. They have always been so nice to me in my wool/cotton riding kit.
I have owned a ton of bikes. I started riding as an adult in 1984. Before I ran and played a lot of golf.
Anyway, Rivendell does not appeal to cyclists that want to ride what Lance or whoever rode. Their bikes make sense for people who want to ride and never have any intention of racing.On this forum and the forum across the hall, the Rivendell ideology just doesn't fit. But, it fits me.

Last edited by don compton; 10-08-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-08-2015, 05:40 AM

My Atlantis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141006_140059.jpg (55.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
I have owned a ton of bikes. At 63 I started riding as an adult in 1984. Before I ran and played a lot of golf.
Anyway, Rivendell does not appeal to cyclists that want to ride what Lance or whoever rode. Their bikes make sense for people who want to ride and never have any intention of racing.On this forum and the forum across the hall, the Rivendell ideology just doesn't fit. But, it fits me.
Don, I admire your ability and fortitude to continue riding into your 90's. I hope that I am fit enough and have the will to do the same. Bravo to you!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Beautiful bikes. I wouldn't mind one someday.

Their staff is another story. Called and spoke to Mark a while ago. Never had encountered such snootiness, even compared to some elite shops in my area. Just wanted some frame info and felt like I was disturbing him somehow. Must have taken his CS training from Peter White.
Hilarious!!

I have been abused by PW on the phone!
Old 10-08-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hilarious!!

Add me to the list of the PW abused
I knew it was coming and had a good chuckle after I was off the phone.

Riv related - I had an Atlantis years ago that I rode a lot after I stopped racing. It then spent a couple years hanging in the basement and I ended up selling it to a guy who went by the name of Bingo in the bay area.

I liked it, didn't love it. Think I loved the idea of it more than the actual function of it but I didn't do any loaded touring which was a mistake. I know it would have been a great touring bike.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
Add me to the list of the PW abused
I knew it was coming and had a good chuckle after I was off the phone.
This is a true story...2 ladies walk into Vecchio's, looking around. One asks, "do you do business with Peter White?"...I tell her about being yelled at over the phone by him. She smiles, says she understands, cuz she's HIS WIFE!.

Geee, what do I say? I just smile. She is visiting her sister, lives in Boulder.

She goes on that he can be 'kinda testy'...
Old 10-08-2015, 07:40 AM

The pic of my Atlantis above has wheels built by PW. I bought it that way otherwise OP would have built them. PW may be testy but he does build a good wheel.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I had a Rambouillet. It was beautiful, but I felt it rode a bit truckish. My Hampsten SB has the same clearance etc but rides like a classic road bike.

Peter White has always been gracious to me.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don compton View Post
I have owned a ton of bikes. At 63 I started riding as an adult in 1984. Before I ran and played a lot of golf.
Wow, Don - I've seen your posts around various forums over the years (weren't/aren't you also active on the IBOB group?). I didn't realize you were as old as you are. GOOD ON YOU! I'm almost 40 years younger than you are and I've backed off a lot from when I was riding longer and harder. I have trouble imagining myself riding at 90+. Hell, I have trouble imagining myself at 90+ to begin with!

Rivendell's ideology fits me really well too. But for my everyday road bikes, my custom Spectum frames fit me better than my Rivs ever did. But the way I have them set up includes a lot of Grant's input...

-Ray
Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hilarious!!

I've never had a bad experience with the Riv folks on the phone - in the old days Grant used to answer a lot and I had a few really nice talks with him. I never had a problem with Peter White either - he wasn't real personable but was never rude and generally quite helpful...

Bruce Gordon, OTOH, managed to convince me in about 10 seconds that he wasn't someone I ever wanted to do business with! Nice bikes, though. That was years ago - don't know if he's changed his stripes... Good lord - have you seen these rear baskets?!?!? They don't look terribly functional, but talk about PRETTY!

-Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baskets.JPG (91.0 KB, 202 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Um, guys, I am 99.9999% sure that Don is 63 now. And started riding bikes in 1984. Not that he started riding in 1984, at then age 63.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM

While I find Riv. bikes nice and own one, some of Riv's ideas are just way too out there for me. Like finishing your bar tape up with hemp twine and leaving the ends frayed and hanging out there. Green bags? Double top tubes? Probably me but I find these and other things bizarre. I'm sure it's all very functional though.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:18 AM

Beautiful blue atlantis!! I check their new products at least once a week because they are literally curated. Grant has truly built a subculture, that's what doesn't appeal to some people. They are committed to some other subculture they've invested time and energy into (sloping top tubes, lyrca, carbon weave, etc), which is fine. The aesthetic of riv is also anathema to group rides. all great artists create a kind of subculture that makes their work, well, work.

If I were buying a riv, and I won't probably ever unless I come into some money, it would have to be the hunqapillar.

Last edited by cinema; 10-08-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
Um, guys, I am 99.9999% sure that Don is 63 now. And started riding bikes in 1984. Not that he started riding in 1984, at then age 63.
Good Lord, you may be correct.