Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2015, 05:15 AM

OT: Vintage Stereo setup (pic page 6)

Sansui G-8700db

Beast!

Old 10-09-2015, 10:56 AM
It An't Me Babe

Mine. I re-capped the power supply boards & main capacitors but left the rest alone. I'll get to the rest someday when I can get motivated to do the work. I chose not to upgrade to LEDs for the dial and etceteras because the effect and luminence color looks wrong to me. So I gotta keep this thing fed with those silly light bulbs that don't last very long.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:08 AM

beautiful amps there guys...
Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 PM

Are the bulbs running on AC or DC? Seems to me they whould be running on DC, if not then yeah they'll die quickly on AC voltage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
Mine. I re-capped the power supply boards & main capacitors but left the rest alone. I'll get to the rest someday when I can get motivated to do the work. I chose not to upgrade to LEDs for the dial and etceteras because the effect and luminence color looks wrong to me. So I gotta keep this thing fed with those silly light bulbs that don't last very long.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:00 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
Are the bulbs running on AC or DC? Seems to me they whould be running on DC, if not then yeah they'll die quickly on AC voltage.
All the bulbs are DC. The ones that have the shortest life, sometimes on the order of 6 months or less, are the fuse-buss type bulbs that illuminate the Signal strength/Tuning meter. Every other bulb is a soldered-in bulb on some kinda circuitboard buss. I kinda put it down to crappy quality bulbs. Just like there's probably very little in the way of manufacturing left in the world for this type of incandescent lightbulb as similarly found in power tube manufacturing - makes it possible to produce junk and still sell as many as can be made.

This type of stereo gear is very much in demand now amongst the hipsters and similar generational youth. The reto-chic is very desirable it seems. For me, this is the same as it ever was. (Ugh, I dislike regurgitating that phrase because it's been co-opted by some ersatz cool kids ad nausea. And David Byrne is as cool as they get so the perversion must be bittersweet.)
Old 10-09-2015, 02:44 PM

Running a NAD C320 BEE, driving a pair of PSB speakers. Very decent sound but overkill for a desktop system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0452.jpg (58.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
All the bulbs are DC. The ones that have the shortest life, sometimes on the order of 6 months or less, are the fuse-buss type bulbs that illuminate the Signal strength/Tuning meter. Every other bulb is a soldered-in bulb on some kinda circuitboard buss. I kinda put it down to crappy quality bulbs. Just like there's probably very little in the way of manufacturing left in the world for this type of incandescent lightbulb as similarly found in power tube manufacturing - makes it possible to produce junk and still sell as many as can be made.

This type of stereo gear is very much in demand now amongst the hipsters and similar generational youth. The reto-chic is very desirable it seems. For me, this is the same as it ever was. (Ugh, I dislike regurgitating that phrase because it's been co-opted by some ersatz cool kids ad nausea. And David Byrne is as cool as they get so the perversion must be bittersweet.)
Hahaha ain't that the truth. I was collecting and repairing that stuff before they were ever a gleam in anyone's eye lol

So if it is a DC supply maybe it's a poor DC voltage, like as in half wave rectifier poor. And then it needs to ramp up during power up. I used to have an all tube recording channel, and an old Cuban man that worked in the business since Sinatra told me that the only way to preserve the life of the tubes was to have a clean supply and to slowly ramp up the filament voltage first when turning on the console.

That said it's probably more trouble than it's worth, though I'm sure some hipster electronics genius will come up with a small PCB to add into the DC power buss to accomplish this ;-)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:25 PM

So where is a good place to find a well off hipster who would buy some vintage audio gear? I have some I'd like to sell. Its been following me for too long now.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
So where is a good place to find a well off hipster who would buy some vintage audio gear? I have some I'd like to sell. Its been following me for too long now.
What is the geR?
Old 10-17-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrooms View Post
Sansui G-8700db

Beast!

Wow I had that same receiver. I got it in the Philippines at the PX in subic bay back in the '80s. Had JBL 150 studio monitors, a akai reel to reel and nakamici cassette day. Rue the day I got rid of it. Actually didn't get rid of it I left it with a friend of a friend while I went out of state to work for a summer during college and when I returned he had moved with my stereo and well over a thousand albums that had been played once to record to reel to reel tape, bummer.