Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2015, 06:58 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
Dude, there's a Thorens deck! To heck with the Asian stuff lol
Second photo, Technics SP-15 turntable in the display case is not too shabby either. First cousin to the legendary Technics SP-10. Another technology showpiece from the Japanese consumer electronics giants that works even today until the microchip in the motor drive goes and that chip hasn't been made in 20 years.

What a motley mix of gear in that shop! Some of that stuff is absolutely worthless, some others less so.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Two wheels good

It's kinda funny how many of us are talking about the great sound we got from the systems of our youth in the 1970's and 80's and giving advice as to what has the best/fullest/most accurate sound but none of us who was around when they made that equipment has the hearing of a 20 year-old to actually appreciate the sound anymore and we are fooling ourselves if we think we do.

That said, I "upgraded" my two-channel Adcom amp to a modern mid-level Yamaha (and later a Denon) receiver a while back so I could have all the convenience of HDMI and tons of inputs. But despite the high power rating on these new receivers they just don't compare to the sound from that Adcom.

And oh, I'm using some Klipsch KG4 speakers (rubber surrounds) as the left and right channels and they still sound great. I bought them new in 1988 and they have been one of the best purchases ever.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The mystery symphony is Beethoven's Ninth and it is marvelous.
I am slightly perplexed and wonder: If we believe that a quality sound system should reproduce sound over a wide frequency range at realistic volume with minimal distortion why do we care if we are listening to rock where the performers deliberately introduce distortion as part of their playing? I know what a violin or piano sound like live and when reproduced on a good system but how do I know how much over-modulation, fuzz,etc. a rock band intended. I surely want plenty of volume and wide frequency response but maybe distortion-free reproduction doesn't matter much for rock?
While I understand your point, I don't agree. Perhaps we might agree, a good sound system should, as faithfully as possible, accurately amplify and reproduce whatever signal is thrown to it. No matter how good the technical components, and quality of the setup, it will never faithfully reproduce the dynamics of seeing live music, acoustic or electric.

I do understand it might be easier to hear discrepancies in the reproduction of an orchestral recording over a rock concert. Give me some electric guitar chords, from an unknown musician, and if blinded, I might not be able to tell you if it is any more properly reproduced on a high end setup, versus a budget system. However, if it was an artist known to me, say Neil Young, and and the tone came out pinched and flat, as opposed to warm and widely dynamic, even though he plays with generous amounts of distortion, then they system didn't do what was asked of it, and it would be noticeable. Then again, add his vocals into the mix, and well, it just doesn't sound proper on a cheap setup. Thankfully, rock music is often far more than highly distorted guitar.

For certain, there are a many awful sounding recordings out there, particularly in the rock/pop genre. And if you haven't seen/heard about it, noodle "loudness war."

http://www.npr.org/2009/12/31/122114...c-sounds-worse

Whatever, on a quality audio system, good recordings, regardless of genre are going to be moving, and poor recordings are going to make you cringe.

If you are on a budget, a revealing entry audio system may be as simple as a pair of Grado SR80i headphone and an inexpensive headphone amp.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Embracing my

I'll cop to a weakness for vintage receivers. I have a Yammy 240 up in the garage. It was demoted from it's home office spot when I picked up a Yamaha CR 820 for $35 at a garage sale. Both look and sound fantastic (although in fairness, I probably don't hear as well as I once did).

In the Kitchen? A Sansui. Living room? My Sherwood from college.

What's the point? They look good, sound good and come with memories.

Go for it.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The mystery symphony is Beethoven's Ninth and it is marvelous.
I am slightly perplexed and wonder: If we believe that a quality sound system should reproduce sound over a wide frequency range at realistic volume with minimal distortion why do we care if we are listening to rock where the performers deliberately introduce distortion as part of their playing? I know what a violin or piano sound like live and when reproduced on a good system but how do I know how much over-modulation, fuzz,etc. a rock band intended. I surely want plenty of volume and wide frequency response but maybe distortion-free reproduction doesn't matter much for rock?
Rock musicians don't distort the entire recording, nor do they distort certain instruments just because they don't care how it sounds?? Maybe you won't recognize what the band intended but I can guarantee you there's a science behind all that distortion just like there's a science behind accurate reproduction of classical music. Listen on headphones to a queens of the Stone Age album, just to give you one example.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
And oh, I'm using some Klipsch KG4 speakers (rubber surrounds) as the left and right channels and they still sound great. I bought them new in 1988 and they have been one of the best purchases ever.
My Klipsch Forte II's are also from 88, and have never left service. Had a little upgrade recently with Crites titaniun tweeter diaphragms. Also built a set of his crossovers, but need to spend a couple hours to finish the installation. Don't have to worry about the WAF (spousal acceptance factor) on these monsters, as she purchased them for me. Don't think you will ever pry them from my hands.

I can understand where people might be underwhelmed by classic Klipsch's. Mine didn't sound great when they weren't properly placed in the room. Now that they are properly corner loaded, with 0 toe-in, they sound great. Also, most of classic Klipsch speakers are 25+ years old, and could use a rebuild/update of the crossovers, replacing the eletrolytic capacitors.

Sadly, the oldest son made off with the Adcom amp, and tuner/pre-amp.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
minimal at best (some may disagree) but the DAC conversion in your iPod is probably as good as any dedicated DAC device.....
I will disagree.

Jeff
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerwing View Post

I can understand where people might be underwhelmed by classic Klipsch's. Mine didn't sound great when they weren't properly placed in the room. Now that they are properly corner loaded, with 0 toe-in, they sound great. Also, most of classic Klipsch speakers are 25+ years old, and could use a rebuild/update of the crossovers, replacing the eletrolytic capacitors.

Sadly, the oldest son made off with the Adcom amp, and tuner/pre-amp.
Get that Adcom back!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus View Post
Dude, there's a Thorens deck! To heck with the Asian stuff lol
Its a TD 125 MKII to boot, nice deck. I need to get mine repaired
Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
On a related note, does anyone (especially in the Northeast) have a good resource for receiver repairs? I have an old Fisher Studio Standard that I bought in college which has developed a hum. It's value is almost entirely sentimental (although it does kick ass), so I don't want to spend TONS to get it fixed, but I'd love to have it looked at.

???

Thanks,
JC
If you have some classic stuff you want serviced you might contact these guys in the Binghamton, NY area:
http://www.audioclassics.com/

I grew up there, not too far from the McIntosh factory. When I asked my working class parents what they made there, they said something like uh....radios? Funny that everyone had GE or Magnavox radios, and I never did see anyone who owned the McIntosh kind. BTW, Rich Modaferri, who designed the legendary MR-78 receiver, was an avid cyclist. I remember doing some group rides with him as a teen back in the '70s.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 PM

I am old and remember what it was like in the 60s and 70s.

One of my good friends had McIntosh preamp and power amp (I believe) that were tubed and Mc speakers. The sound quality was great...but the most important thing that mattered was the music...if the music was not good, who cared what it sounded like.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:15 PM

I live around the corner from Audio Classics and I stay away far FAR AWAY! it's dangerous to my checkbook. That being said when I needed some work done on an early 70's Yamaha receiver they directed me to United Radio in Syracuse. That's where they said they send a bunch of their older gear to be refurbished.

I've also heard decent stuff about HiOnFi in Dewitt which is basically a suburb of Syracuse. They sell and service many brands of gear.

I've got a few pieces of gear that I use and enjoy. My main small receiver is an early/mid 70's Yamaha Cr420 that's rated at around 25wpc I think. It's got a very nice phono and tuner stage. I run it through a pair of PSB Image 2B speakers and it plays very nicely indeed.

My "big" system which is in my garage is a Yamaha CA800 integrated amp rated at 60 or 65 wpc. But it can be switched to class A operation and I believe that the it's then rated at something like 12wpc. I run that through a pair of PSB Image B-25 speakers. I REALLY love the way this amp and speakers get along. I've looked at other speakers for both systems but at least for how I hear I enjoy the sound coming out of the PSB's.

When I want to switch things out I've got a Carver tfm 35 power amp rated at 250wpc that I run through a Michaelson and Austin tube preamp. Although it's got more power than the CA800 I prefer the Yamaha's sound signature.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:28 AM

I was able to find a Nakamichi receiver and a pair of ADS L780's on CL a few years ago. Sounds fabulous at low volume and high volume. Paid about $175 for this set up. Fantastic deal.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
It's kinda funny how many of us are talking about the great sound we got from the systems of our youth in the 1970's and 80's and giving advice as to what has the best/fullest/most accurate sound but none of us who was around when they made that equipment has the hearing of a 20 year-old to actually appreciate the sound anymore and we are fooling ourselves if we think we do.
A lot of whom have never heard music from anything but TV and iphone.

The '70s had the amplifier wars and Cerwin-Vega volcano speakers.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
If you have some classic stuff you want serviced you might contact these guys in the Binghamton, NY area:
http://www.audioclassics.com/

I grew up there, not too far from the McIntosh factory. When I asked my working class parents what they made there, they said something like uh....radios? Funny that everyone had GE or Magnavox radios, and I never did see anyone who owned the McIntosh kind. BTW, Rich Modaferri, who designed the legendary MR-78 receiver, was an avid cyclist. I remember doing some group rides with him as a teen back in the '70s.
Thanks for this... Ive been wanting some vintage McIntosh and don't trust eBay.