Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-30-2014, 06:33 PM

Chuck roast is speaking for 99% of all true Royals fans ... We are upbeat, excited, and overall thrilled what the team did.

Hats off to the Giants especially Bumgarner (phenom and Joe Buck's man crush) and Panik ... That rookie really impressed me and I look forward to seeing him further develop.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahumblecycler View Post
Chuck roast is speaking for 99% of all true Royals fans ... We are upbeat, excited, and overall thrilled what the team did.

Hats off to the Giants especially Bumgarner (phenom and Joe Buck's man crush) and Panik ... That rookie really impressed me and I look forward to seeing him further develop.
I would have liked the Royals to win just to see George Brett's reaction..he's the epitome of a 'baseball player', IMHO..one team, whole career, 20 years, almost 21..
Old 10-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Well, Cubs fans, there's always tomorrow...

In other games, it was nice to see KC even their series. 1 - 1
Old 10-10-2015, 04:12 AM

Since the Phillies finally saw the light and blew it up to start a rebuild, I'm hoping for a Texas / LA World Series to see Cole and Deikman pitching to Rollins and Utley. Real long shot to happen, but I'd enjoy it.

The Cardinals are an amazing organization. They just seem to keep coming back and being competitive as hell year after year after year. Never need to blow it up and start from scratch - just always damn good and without Yankee payroll.

-Ray
Old 10-12-2015, 08:54 AM
Cranky!

Effing Chase Utley . . .
Old 10-12-2015, 09:08 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Effing Chase Utley . . .
Totally agree. 'Hard' baseball is in the baseline and near the bag. 'Dirty' baseball is that far from the bag, aiming at only Tejada.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
Effing Chase Utley . . .
I can't believe after review they called him safe without touching the bag (and arguably cost the mets the game) and then they suspend him the next day ??
Old 10-12-2015, 10:06 AM

Effing Chase ...

Agreed. He went for the player, hard, and not the base. In fact he didn't even touch the base. Unbelievable to have him called safe whether or not Tejada touched second.

It seems wrong to take a guy out and then for the Dodgers to appeal the play. Instead of reversing the call Utley should have been called out and the Mets awarded a double play.

Utley deserves the suspension, and now I hope the Dodgers lose the series. Hopefully Matt Harvey and his protected arm can shut them down.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Cranky!

I think this is the rare case where the review got in the way of making the right decision, because it focused narrowly on whether Tejada touched the bag, and took the focus away from the bigger picture of whether the slide was legal.

Utley was safe for two separate reasons:
- Since Utley was called out by the umpire (the call that was later reversed), he was not obligated to touch the bag. He also wasn't tagged, ergo safe.
- Apparently there is a rule (can't find the ref. now) that if both the fielder and the runner fail to touch the bag, the base is awarded to the runner.

While I understand, and accept, the concept of the breakup slide, it makes sense only in the greater picture of the neighborhood play, where the runner is presumed out and therefore given latitude to limit further damage. If the neighborhood play does not apply, the bias should shift to protecting the infielder.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcyclistbob View Post
Hopefully Matt Harvey and his protected arm can shut them down.
Hopefully Matt Harvey can do what he needs to do without starting WWIII (though if ever there was just cause....).
Old 10-12-2015, 02:36 PM

Probably gonna take a rule change, because there have been zillions of hard slides away from the base like that over the years that were never called. Breaking a leg in a playoff game is a good way to make sure this situation gets addressed. I agree it was a dirty slide, but the same basic thing I saw Utley (and others) do many many times in the years he was playing for the Phils, and never got called for. So he probably thought it was just a hard slide to break up a double play, as he's done over and over. I suspect his appeal will include video of a LOT of examples of similar plays that were never called.

Baseball probably needs to get really explicit about what is and isn't allowed, and hopefully in a way that doesn't take as long for the umps and players to understand as the Posey rule did at home plate.

I don't see Harvey retaliating in this game, at least against Utley directly. Because he's not a regular player for LA - he's been limited to two pinch hit at-bats in this series so far and I don't think you'll see him starting tonight, if he's playing. So he'd probably only bat in a situation where a pinch-hitter is called for and that's almost never a time to go hitting the batter and put him on base. I suspect this gets settled early next season sometime, but my guess is Chase is out of baseball after this season. As great as he was for as long as he was, he was painful to watch for the past couple of years. Hot start in 2014, that got him into the All-Star game, but the wheels came off after those first few months. I'm pretty sure this was the last year of his contract and I can't see him making a big-league roster next year...

-Ray
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Well, congratulations to the Cubs and best of luck against the Mets or Dodgers....
Old 10-13-2015, 07:32 PM
#bottlestorage

OT: It's that time of year again: Postseason Baseball

"Cubs Win, Cubs Win, Cubs Win"

Harry Caray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

It might be, it could be, IT IS, a Home Run !!!

The Cardinal pitchers sure gave up their share of them.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:51 PM

..did they ever forgive that Bartman guy?

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 10-13-2015 at 07:54 PM.