Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2015, 09:39 AM
slower than you

"You can do much better and cheaper on your own".

I'm planning a trip, so, from what I have learned, yes, you can do it much cheaper. Better? Sure, if that's all you can afford, which is most of us. I can't justify 5000 dollars for a week of cycling anywhere, and that works out to a thousand a day, because you essentially only get five days of real riding. Day one is more of an orientation, and day seven is breakfast and off to the airport. But, man, it has to be awfully nice, especially with Trek, since they hand you the newest Ultegra higher end model, make sure it fits correctly, and are there 24/7 if it breaks. Probably have a spare or two, I guess. You are out in the country, so finding a part or mechanic in a bike shop will entail a decent drive to probably Siena, and hope they can help you, if you are on your own. The tours are nice and relaxed, no worries about most anything, and they feed you three meals of incredible food a day. There's a lot to like about that. But, extremely pricey, especially since you better tip a lot at the end, too. Those kids aren't paid big bucks to put up with some of the people that are forced on them, as they put on the big smiles, 24/7.

I think I may be travelling there around Thanksgiving to do more research. There is an Agriturismo in Asciano that caters to bikers (they rent nice carbon fiber bikes, too), and one up in Pralarmo in the Piemonte near Turin that also specializes in cycling. Both probably have parts and a good wrench on premises or close. Very affordable, but, if you're going to do it on your own, you have to rent a car - no way you can avoid that cost. The exchange rate has improved in the past few years, hopefully the Euro hits parity by next fall, when I should be there.

Btw, all those plowed fields turn green soon, and stay that way through the winter. The olive harvest is in later November. You have never tasted fine olive oil until you have had virgin pressed a day or two after the harvest. A bit chilly, but, no tourists at all to fight with for rooms and tables. The people were awesome the one time I was there, recently. I just saw a survey a few months ago that told me that, in all of Europe, the Italians like us (Americans) the most, by far. They hate the Russians the most, btw.

I can't wait.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 10-10-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post

Planning on going in the next couple of years. Renting a house and having family come out to enjoy it. Will definitely have to time it to the event to take advantage of the ride.

How hard was it to bring that beautiful bike? Also, did you encounter regular riders/bikes much?

Thanks for the post.
I took the bike in a Pika Packworks bag that worked fine.
It was manageable getting to the ticket counter and fit in the back of a Fiat 500 rental car with the rear seats down. It cost $150 in the US going and 100 Euro in Italy returning extra baggage fee. I don't know what a rental bike would cost for 10 days but I suspect it would be similar and riding my own bike appeals to me.

The rental car was the biggest expense after airfare. We used Hertz, rented for a week, paid for extra insurance, a GPS, and a fee for a second driver all of which more than doubled (actually, nearly tripled) the cost of the car......stupid on my part not to sort this out before asking for it and I'd do it differently next time. Driving over there was simple and fun (expect to be tailgated.....just slow and let them pass).

We stayed in an Agriturismo (basically a rural B&B) that was essentially a small apartment. It only cost about 100 Euro/night including a good breakfast with enough extra bread/meat/cheese to pass for lunch if you wanted. I'd ride in the AM and we'd go sightseeing once I got back.

The best meals we (a couple) had ran about 70-90 Euros including wine. They are too big to eat like that every night so often we'd do something simpler like pizza which is cheap or just a pasta course at a Ristorante geared for locals.

Although my trip was focused on the L'Eroica event (and I am glad to have done it) I actually found my solo morning "go get lost" 2-3 hour rides the most fun so I would emphasize them instead the next time.

I would only rarely encounter another rider while on my bike (although I passed plenty while driving). There was a group tour operating in the area and several times I crossed paths briefly with them (the first time I found a hysterical woman sprawled in the center of a quiet road after falling off her electric bike while her oblivious husband disappeared down the road).
Old 10-10-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
"You can do much better and cheaper on your own".

Btw, all those plowed fields turn green soon, and stay that way through the winter. The olive harvest is in later November. You have never tasted fine olive oil until you have had virgin pressed a day or two after the harvest. A bit chilly, but, no tourists at all to fight with for rooms and tables. The people were awesome the one time I was there, recently.

I can't wait.
We stayed at an agriturismo called Podera San Lorenzo. 3 kilometers outside of Volterra, it was a working olive farm. Incredible olive oil!!!

Would love to go back and help with the harvest.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:45 PM
slower than you

Yes, I remember we had a short pm thing about that place. Thanks much for reminding me. Volterra is the prettiest biking countryside I saw there on my last and only trip, and that's saying a lot. That place is now on the list.

The olive harvest brings some pollution to the air, if you want to call it that. The branches and residue from the harvest is burned right in the fields, like when I was a kid before they banned leaf burning in the burbs. It makes for a cool haze in the valleys.

Last edited by Mr. Pink; 10-10-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:52 PM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I took the bike in a Pika Packworks bag that worked fine.
It was manageable getting to the ticket counter and fit in the back of a Fiat 500 rental car with the rear seats down. It cost $150 in the US going and 100 Euro in Italy returning extra baggage fee. I don't know what a rental bike would cost for 10 days but I suspect it would be similar and riding my own bike appeals to me.

The rental car was the biggest expense after airfare. We used Hertz, rented for a week, paid for extra insurance, a GPS, and a fee for a second driver all of which more than doubled (actually, nearly tripled) the cost of the car......stupid on my part not to sort this out before asking for it and I'd do it differently next time. Driving over there was simple and fun (expect to be tailgated.....just slow and let them pass).

We stayed in an Agriturismo (basically a rural B&B) that was essentially a small apartment. It only cost about 100 Euro/night including a good breakfast with enough extra bread/meat/cheese to pass for lunch if you wanted. I'd ride in the AM and we'd go sightseeing once I got back.

The best meals we (a couple) had ran about 70-90 Euros including wine. They are too big to eat like that every night so often we'd do something simpler like pizza which is cheap or just a pasta course at a Ristorante geared for locals.

Although my trip was focused on the L'Eroica event (and I am glad to have done it) I actually found my solo morning "go get lost" 2-3 hour rides the most fun so I would emphasize them instead the next time.

I would only rarely encounter another rider while on my bike (although I passed plenty while driving). There was a group tour operating in the area and several times I crossed paths briefly with them (the first time I found a hysterical woman sprawled in the center of a quiet road after falling off her electric bike while her oblivious husband disappeared down the road).

Yes, the rental cost was quite a surprise, and the big one was the 21% VAT tax on the bottom line. We also got a second driver and GPS. I still don't feel confident with Android GPS over there. Hell, I don't use the phone at all. Afraid I'll come back to a 500 dollar bill for the month or something. I have to figure that out.

Did you have a rack? Just one bike?
Old 10-10-2015, 05:11 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Great pics...grazie mille!
Old 10-11-2015, 09:17 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
We stayed at an agriturismo called Podera San Lorenzo. 3 kilometers outside of Volterra, it was a working olive farm. Incredible olive oil!!!

Would love to go back and help with the harvest.

Bummer. Just emailed them, and they are closed late November. I guess they are too busy with the harvest. Probably not enough business to make it worthwhile, anyway.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the info!

My mom turns 80 next year and we toyed with making the trip next summer, but with her health it may be postponed another year. We wanted to rent a house for her to stay in for a month so family can plan their own weeklong trips around her visit. I can't imagine not bringing a bike, unless I were to buy one there, and have no idea how easy/hard/wise that would be.

Rent, buy, or bring it looks like a fantastic place to ride. We'd like to stay central/ north Umbria or Tuscany. ( family hails from Umbria region and a visit to their origins is a must for me)

Nice to know driving is good and good to know we should workout car rental first.

Thanks again and feel free to post more pics of what looks like a wonderful trip!
Old 10-11-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Bummer. Just emailed them, and they are closed late November. I guess they are too busy with the harvest. Probably not enough business to make it worthwhile, anyway.
Too cold for the natural water pool anyway.

We are going back two Julys from now for an extended stay.

My wife has family near Bolzano, so it is such an easy trip from there.

[IMG]DSCN1590 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN1627 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCN1510 by gomango1849, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Thanks for the info!

My mom turns 80 next year and we toyed with making the trip next summer, but with her health it may be postponed another year. We wanted to rent a house for her to stay in for a month so family can plan their own weeklong trips around her visit. I can't imagine not bringing a bike, unless I were to buy one there, and have no idea how easy/hard/wise that would be.

Rent, buy, or bring it looks like a fantastic place to ride. We'd like to stay central/ north Umbria or Tuscany. ( family hails from Umbria region and a visit to their origins is a must for me)

Nice to know driving is good and good to know we should workout car rental first.

Thanks again and feel free to post more pics of what looks like a wonderful trip!
Beautiful area.

We are blessed with family just outside of Umbria as well as Northern Italy.

They are just outside of San Severino Marche.

FWIW Our oldest son is named Severin.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post

Life is made better by doing things that are hard. .
amen to this.

just caught the thread.

wonderful, just wonderful. cheers.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:41 PM
You still here?

Hotels that cater to cyclist abound in Italy. We did a week at the Belvedere in Riccione. http://www.belvederericcione.com/en/...italy/1-0.html Didn't have to take a bike as the have DeRosas for their clientele. Marina, the owner of the Belvedere, is a good friend with Pantani's mom and will have events organized around that.

The Belvedere was the best week I've ever spent during any vacation that I've taken.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:24 PM

Excellent read, a pleasure and more, plus pics. Thanks. Tuscany is pretty nice indeed but then that can be said just about anywhere in Italy. The food is indeed terrific. You ate in some classy restaurants if you paid 90 for dinner, even with wine. My wife and I usually get by with only paying 40 to 50 for the both of us, with wine. Then again we eat simply. I'm always amazed at how well a person can eat in Italy for ridiculously low prices, much lower than here in France, plus the food is better over there. I still prefer riding in France as a rule because the roads are better, the drivers way more respectful of cyclists, plus there are more roads to choose from. I'll also admit that my riding time in Italy is limited. The region I love is Piedmonte, kind of like Tuscany with great wine and food but way less popular plus it backs up against the Alps. I could live there easily. Maybe IU will one day. Just have to work on my Italian. I'm lazy and let my wife who is fluent do the talking.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:29 PM
slower than you

Flying to Italy in a few days. Will see three bike hotels in different regions, one right in the middle of the Piemonte. Also, will be looking at a lot of fine art, beautiful buildings, and eating good food. Even driving a Ferrari on the streets of Maranello. TR to come.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Flying to Italy in a few days. Will see three bike hotels in different regions, one right in the middle of the Piemonte. Also, will be looking at a lot of fine art, beautiful buildings, and eating good food. Even driving a Ferrari on the streets of Maranello. TR to come.
Oh man. Tell my relatives hello. In the immortal words of Al Pacino..."Whoo Ah!"

Better post some pics when your back.