Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2021, 08:04 AM

Interesting article showing how Musk's tweets have influenced Bitcoin prices: https://www.vox.com/recode/2021/5/18...o-prices-tesla.

Quote:
“There’s little question after last weekend’s price action that a tweet from Elon Musk can move the price of bitcoin,” Galen Moore, director of data and indexes at CoinDesk, told Recode. “In cryptocurrencies, it’s as important to understand memes and the social layer as it is to understand the technology and game theory that make bitcoin a secure network.”

He added, “It also raises uncomfortable questions about price manipulation.”
Old 05-19-2021, 08:14 AM

Interestingly enough, I sold all of my crypto positions right before the first dip, literally on the last small up tick. I just somehow had a gut feeling that things are about to turn bad even before Elon's tweet and China's ban. So glad I did that.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:34 AM

“30 for 30”
-30%
Old 05-19-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
“30 for 30”
-30%
That would have been a great moment to buy!
Old 05-19-2021, 08:41 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
Interestingly enough, I sold all of my crypto positions right before the first dip, literally on the last small up tick. I just somehow had a gut feeling that things are about to turn bad even before Elon's tweet and China's ban. So glad I did that.
smart. I have very little so not enough to sell but I said if I had thousands or millions in crypto I woulda sold. Its not good to be greedy. This is going down down down
Old 05-19-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
smart. I have very little so not enough to sell but I said if I had thousands or millions in crypto I woulda sold. Its not good to be greedy. This is going down down down
The question is if you had sold, have you actually been able to get hard USD out, or just tether.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:59 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
The question is if you had sold, have you actually been able to get hard USD out, or just tether.
its a good Q that I can't answer but I am sure you coulda got many thousands out of it, full millions? I am not sure.

I wonder if that kid from the wealth thread is trying to return his tesla
Old 05-19-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
i bought and sold at multiple price points since a few years ago, but my last position for bitcoin was bought in at $55k average and was planning to hold it for long. So I dodge a huge bullet.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
i bought and sold at multiple price points since a few years ago, but my last position for bitcoin was bought in at $55k average and was planning to hold it for long. So I dodge a huge bullet.
You only dodged a bullet in the sense your loss is still unrealized, but you are still down mark to market.

Only question is with a $ -18,000 unrealised loss per token < the sum of your previous realized gains/ token?

Obviously, if you went in smaller now, you can still be up mark to market on everything which would be pretty good trading in my book. My experience is most people are biggest at the top.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 05-19-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2021, 11:27 AM

l o l

'But bitcoin is a real viable currency that will replace Fiat one day'

uh huh
Old 05-19-2021, 12:23 PM

Bitcoin is now back up to $40,000. I expect it will be back to $50,000 in a few days.
Old 05-19-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
You only dodged a bullet in the sense your loss is still unrealized, but you are still down mark to market.

Only question is with a $ -18,000 unrealised loss per token < the sum of your previous realized gains/ token?

Obviously, if you went in smaller now, you can still be up mark to market on everything which would be pretty good trading in my book. My experience is most people are biggest at the top.
A lot of big words that I don't understand but I sold mine at $57000 so dodged a bullet and made some
Old 05-19-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
A lot of big words that I don't understand but I sold mine at $57000 so dodged a bullet and made some
He's basically saying that you only lose (or make) money when you go in/out of it.

You may have dodged a bullet short term but unless you buy back in now at a lower price, then you miss the opportunity for the real money which is going long, riding the volatility and reaping rewards when its 10x+.

BTC is a wild ride and while you can't predict the future, it is a 'bet' that has huuuuuuge upside and not a lot of downside.

Best advice you can get for trading stock or crypto is do your research, build your case for why you believe the stock/crypto is undervalued versus the price it will be in 5-10 years, buy it and then only ever sell when the case you built is invalidated.

The markets are a short term voting machine, long term weighing machine (Benjamin Graham). Value comes out in the long run, don't be guided by the short term swings.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:00 PM
Classics Fan

So... Elon musk is skeptical and china doesn't like crypto
.... Doesn't change my thesis that there is a non-zero probability that cryptocurrency is a once in a generation (maybe even less frequent) birth of a new asset class.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:36 PM

bought at $33k.