Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Mapping GPS Computer Recommendation

I've asked on here before over time and never pulled the trigger but now I am planning to do so. What is the best available GPS to use primarily with mapping?

My first wanting is to buy a refurbished Garmin Edge Touring. They are fairly inexpensive.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 AM

I've been using the Garmin Edge 820 this season.
Expensive, and never saw it on sale.
Great unit, only locked up once.
I like the battery save mode. It will blank the screen, however (with option set), it will alert when 'off-course'
Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM

The Edge Touring is a good choice, and with today's refurb pricing its somewhat of a bargain. That is the direction that I would go.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 AM

That's what I was thinking as long as you all recommend it. It's as cheap as 130 refurbed.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:18 AM
ergottWheels

What's your timeframe? I'm getting the 1030 when it is available from my distributor and I'll be selling my 1000. Excellent unit, my biggest gripe was not getting more than about 9 hours when using everything (bluetooth, wifi, power meter, etc). If that's not a worry for you it served me very well otherwise.

Should be early Oct.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 AM

I'm not in a rush. My assumption would be that your old 1000 is still far more expensive than a refurbished touring though

Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
What's your timeframe? I'm getting the 1030 when it is available from my distributor and I'll be selling my 1000. Excellent unit, my biggest gripe was not getting more than about 9 hours when using everything (bluetooth, wifi, power meter, etc). If that's not a worry for you it served me very well otherwise.

Should be early Oct.
I'm getting closer to 15 hours with everything turned off on my 1000.
I've had no problems with mine.

Edit: An Edge Touring refurb is $136 from Amazon.

Last edited by biker72; 09-22-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post

Should be early Oct.
What are you going to ask for your 1000?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:55 PM
ergottWheels

I think $275 net seems fair, no? I have rubber protector around it. I used the stock mount for something else so don't have it. If really needed, I'll include a K-Edge.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:57 PM
ergottWheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I'm getting closer to 15 hours with everything turned off on my 1000.
I've had no problems with mine.
That was the rub. They advertise all these great features which I use, but then tell you you can't use them if you want the advertised battery life.

1030 should have enough juice for me even with everything running. It's not like I'm out there all the time for that long (only a few times a year), but when I am it's nice not to think about my computer battery.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:13 PM

So does anyone have the edge touring, and if so, what's the verdict?

Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeter View Post
I've asked on here before over time and never pulled the trigger but now I am planning to do so. What is the best available GPS to use primarily with mapping?

My first wanting is to buy a refurbished Garmin Edge Touring. They are fairly inexpensive.

I use a Garmin Edge 1000. I like the slightly larger screen, which is easier for me to read when populated with numerous fields than the 800/820 is.

I’m waiting to see how the new Edge 1030 is received. The messaging connectivity looks interesting, but only becomes valuable if use of the device becomes widespread.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeter View Post

I'm really liking the Wahoo Element for following a route created in RWGPS. The unit itself won't create a route but you can create/find routes on a phone and then send to the unit. I've had mine for a few months and found it much more reliable than the Garmin 500, 800 that I've used.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 PM

I have the Edge 1000 which is basically the same as the Touring model with the fancy performance training features (not in the Touring model). It's a solid unit and the larger screen size is great. The newer 1030 has an even larger screen but being new, its way too expensive. Get the Touring model from Garmin. If you have any trouble, they answer the phone and resolve it. You get a warranty too.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:19 PM

With everyone upgrading, I’d look for a used Edge 1000. At some point, mine also will be for sale, but as I indicated above, I’m not going to be an early adopter.

I never understood complaints about battery life with the Edge 1000. I’ve never had it come close to running down during any ride, even on very long ones. I plug it into an Anker charger in the evenings between rides, and can plug it in while in the car in a pinch. I use it with Powertap hub and linked to my iPhone via BT too.