Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Probably he will get out of this because he knows how to play softball?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:38 PM

I feel like the article is strangely reminiscent of the Brock Turner articles, where his swimming times were listed after the details of his rape arrest, humanizing the perp and adding nothing, but certainly taking away something, from the victim. Subtle victim shaming...
Old 09-22-2017, 01:00 PM

Pretty sure if I pulled a firearm on someone during road rage incident, I'd get more than a desk appearance ticket. A desk appearance ticket allows the offender to avoid awaiting an arraignment hearing in a jail cell. So, while something was done, he's still being treated pretty well considering the offenses.
Typical Joe Schmoe would've sat it out in a holding cell waiting for court.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
I feel like the article is strangely reminiscent of the Brock Turner articles, where his swimming times were listed after the details of his rape arrest, humanizing the perp and adding nothing, but certainly taking away something, from the victim. Subtle victim shaming...
Yes. When the suspect in the hate-based murders of two black men in Baton Rouge last week was arrested, the local paper originally used pictures of him in his Eagle Scout uniform with quotes from people who knew him about what a nice mild-mannered guy he is. Later, they changed the pic and mentioned that he was obsessed with Hitler. Similar sympathy is not shown to other criminal suspects who are portrayed as "thugs." Take from this what you will.

However, yes - due process is a guarantee for government actions and this case is not excluded from that.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:16 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteel View Post
Pretty sure if I pulled a firearm on someone during road rage incident, I'd get more than a desk appearance ticket. A desk appearance ticket allows the offender to avoid awaiting an arraignment hearing in a jail cell. So, while something was done, he's still being treated pretty well considering the offenses. Typical Joe Schmoe would've sat it out in a holding cell waiting for court.
It sounds like he was charged with 3rd degree assault, menacing and harassment, which are only classified as misdemeanors in NY state. I'm with you in that if you pulled a gun on a cop off duty or not, you'd most likely be looking at felony charges.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Riding Along

Sadly it is too often it is innocent until proven innocent with charges against LEO especially if they are on duty. Even though in this case he was not. However the charges are lighter than they should be.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:44 PM

The LEO probably has union rights/protections which prohibit him from being fired on the spot.

Also, if he's found innocent, he will likely get back pay for the suspension, AS WELL AS ESTIMATED LOST OVERTIME.

This happened in my town. Needless to say, the public was astounded.

Some officers wiggle out of the situation by retiring, WITH A FULL PENSION, before trial, where if found guilty they would be fired and lose all pension benefits.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
If any of us assaulted a cop and pulled a gun on them I'm pretty sure we'd end up with more than a 30-day suspension. We'd end up in jail. Why does this criminal thug get off so easily?
He's not off the hook yet. He's been charged with crimes and for once one of these jerks got suspended WITHOUT pay. He's still got to go to trial and will probably not be back on the force.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
He's not off the hook yet. He's been charged with crimes and for once one of these jerks got suspended WITHOUT pay. He's still got to go to trial and will probably not be back on the force.
His basic problem is that he was off duty at the time and not acting in performance of his duties. If you'll recall, the cop that killed Milton Olin got off because he was distracted "in performance of his duties," when he was using both his PC and phone while driving into the bike lane. This condition does not exist in this case, which is at best an abuse of power, at worst criminal thuggery. The main thing to watch for is if he requests a bench trial and gets off, which would imply special treatment between police and court officers.