Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Back to School....

Well, I've just spent the last week and a half with my Children before they went back to school for a new year. We were coming off the virus that spread around the family and I decided I wanted to spend the remaining time them before the daily school schedule sets in. I had a number of other things planned but they took a backseat to the chillins (sorry Too Tall).
We spent our last day (yesterday) over on (the island of) Jamestown at Beavertail Lighthouse sitting on the rocks and watching the waves come crashing in from the Atlantic. We spent a good amount of time climbing up and down, over and across all the rocks to get better vantage points to see the waves, ships, and sail boats going by. Lunch back on main street, down to the marina to check out the boats, then to Fort Weatherall to stand on top of the cliffs and check out the old battlements (which the State has really let go to pot). Got to show them where dad used to go cliff diving many moons ago. "Though it's very dangerous and against the law now". By then the rain had started and we finally headed home to the mainland and had mugs of hot chocolate and played Monopoly. We had a wonderful time.
This morning when I got up to check on them as usual, sleeping peacefully, the impact of a new year finally hit me. Our little one starting first grade, and older brother is going into third reminded me of how fast it all goes by. A little misty, I was really glad that I took the time to spend with them and make what I hope are lasting memories.

Another year begins anew.

William
Old 08-30-2006, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
This morning when I got up to check on them as usual, sleeping peacefully, the impact of a new year finally hit me. Our little one starting first grade, and older brother is going into third reminded me of how fast it all goes by. A little misty, I was really glad that I took the time to spend with them and make what I hope are lasting memories.
Savor it big man. I'm grabbing on to every spare second I can with my 18 year old who's a couple of weeks away from leaving for college 3000 miles away. And she was just born roughly the day before yesterday. Or so it seems. Misty doesn't even begin to say it.

-Ray
Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 AM

Three weeks ago, my very soon-to-be 16 year old son, started 10th grade. It's really hard for Mom now since I take a back seat to the friends, activities (crew and guitar), and to school. But he still needs me to drive him from location to location. There are many, but some good parts are the first and last thing of the day, I still get a big hug and kiss from my "baby". He's about 4" taller than me now and in his funny moments calls me his "little Mom" as he pats me on the head.

Treasure these times Big Cuz as they all too quickly will pass as our children find their independence.

I did get him something awesome for his 16th birthday though. I'm taking him to see Tom Petty in concert! Tom's playing in his hometown, Gainesville, FL (2.5hrs. south of here) and we're going to cruise down for the concert and back home afterward. Guess you could say this is a little different than seeing Elmo and the Sesame Street gang in concert.
RA

Last edited by RABikes2; 08-30-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM

thank you - fort wetherill

i mentioned to william i wanted to host a ride out of jamestown this summer. it turned out, i wasn't able to make the trip from tx to r.i. b/c molly was not able to ride (not a bike, the car for 1800 miles).

william's desription of his wonderful day in jamestown made me miss r.i. even more than usual.

my apartment in r.i. (i can't let go) is at the house which is Wetherill. i will be there for thanksgiving. i'm inviting formanites within driving distance, for a ride and sandwiches friday or sat, please let me know which day is better for schedeuling (by the way, it's bring your own sword). we could ride around jamestown (only 20 miles or so, on william's wheel it will only take 10 minutes, we could do it 2 X, if that's okay with you, william...) and meet and enjoy the company.

we'll have turkey sandwiches and stuff. or other things probably. btw, dogs are invited, children too as long as they know how to get along well with others, the same is true for adults. nicholas is 10.

Last edited by molly22; 08-30-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I too miss Beavertail. My wife and I were engaged there on March 15, 2003. (Fans of Shakespeare will find getting engaged on March 15 to be amusing). We have a picture of the lighthouse on our dinning room wall and I walk by it every day.

Molly, you should get the route map from NBW's Jamestown ride. I used to do it every year and really enjoyed it. It manages to loop around enough to make the ride about 45 miles. You park at the beach/campground just over the spit on the way to Beavertail, then the ride starts and finishes with a loop around the lighthouse. It was always followed by a cook-out at the end. It is one of my favorite rides.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM

Jamestown

The Colombus Day citizens race around Jamestown was always fun, haven't done that in years, is it still held? Bradford, you got engaged on my birthday! Hope to head out to Block Island in a couple of weeks for an end of the season escape, gotta love RI!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Molly, we had a great time on the Island. I also missed riding with you this summer.

A November ride would be cool....both temperature wise and experience wise. At this point Saturday would probably work better for me. But I'm open if to change if any other forumites want to come by Friday instead. I figure with a good tailwind we could do the island in about 5-6 minutes tops. Actually I was checking out the the map book before we left on Tuesday on figured a good ride could be had around the Island. 45 easy as the Bradford flies. No big climbs but lots of very nice scenery and New England charm. I'm in. And maybe Rhea Basset and the rest of the William clan will stop by too.

Ray & Cuz, I know, seems like yesterday they were still in diapers and awake all night. I actually miss that......well, I like getting sleep now...but I still kind of miss that time. My son is eight now and I can see streaks of that independence starting to show itself. But hey, your never to old to get a hug from dad....come'er <HUG>!!!

Have fun at the TP concert Cuz. I saw him a number of years ago and it was a great show. We decided to go spur of the moment on the day of the show since we heard some tickets were still available. We ended up right in front by one of the wings that projected of the stage. We had Tom about ten feet from us belting out songs and ripping his guitar. Friends who bought tickets way in advance were up in the nose bleed section......they weren't happy with us that night.

William
Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 AM
Ape and Essence

Fantastic words big man. Your kids are the lucky ones for certain.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:23 AM
the antiviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
...the impact of a new year finally hit me. Our little one starting first grade, and older brother is going into third reminded me of how fast it all goes by. A little misty, I was really glad that I took the time to spend with them and make what I hope are lasting memories.

Another year begins anew.

William
The first year I really felt like I had made the jump to parenthood was not the year my daughter started school - It was the next year, when she went back to the same place, when it wasn't new anymore, when I knew that this was what the next twelve years would be like...

She's starting 8th grade next week, and high school follows hard upon that. It is disconcerting how quickly the years move.

I sometimes miss the goofy little kid, but now I've got a (still) goofy, (usually) loving and polite teenager, and it does have its compensations. Like being able to have a fairly interesting dinnertime discussion about the Vietnam War, Communism in theory and practice, and the breakdown of state-organized warfare.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Will, this was a great thread! As a father to a 14month old I have a few years to go, but I dread her not being around!

HOWEVER, seeing how my wife and I are both teachers, I may have a slightly different view on the kids going back to school!

Summer is over for me!

Great words though. Pulling at the heart strings in a beautiful way!
Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Bump...

I came across this blast from the past searching the archives and it really hits home. I remember that day on Jamestown vividly and now I contrast that with just weeks ago taking our oldest out to the Seattle area to get hime set up for the start of college and our young one going into her senior year. We have spent many other days on Jamestown since then but it seems like that particular day on the Island was just last week.

Man, time flies and they grow up so fast.

William
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM

I love this forum. My kids are 13 and 10, 9th and 4th grade. And yes, it seems they were born like the day before yesterday. Thanks for the sentiment, William!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly22 View Post
... btw, dogs are invited, children too as long as they know how to get along well with others, the same is true for adults.
Oh Darn! That let's me out! Thanks for the invite anyway!