Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Kinda a shame sram is making your gearing choices for you, ala 11s and MTB. Not really into MTBing but pretty sure there is a market for 2by and even 3by where people ride these things, imho of course. Doubt shimano will dump front ders anytime soon on their MTB 11s rigs.
Maybe not "dump" but if you are talking about people who ride and buy new equipment above the Tiagra level front ders are almost a dead issue. 3x is basically non-existent. If you are talking about cheap OEM level stuff, fds are still in play. 1x took over MTBs a while ago and for good reason.

As an illustration, when you sort for 2x on complete bikes on Competitive Cyclist, you get one page of results. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...%3A2%5C+x&nf=1

whereas selecting for 1x gives you five. 3x does not exist.

You can say this is SRAM making decisions for the consumer but the market spoke a few years ago and I don't see any revolt in the MTB forums, Pinkbike etc..
Old 09-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Kinda a shame sram is making your gearing choices for you, ala 11s and MTB. Not really into MTBing but pretty sure there is a market for 2by and even 3by where people ride these things, imho of course. Doubt shimano will dump front ders anytime soon on their MTB 11s rigs.
I suspect the market for 2x11 (and 3x11 are you serious?) is so small that they've made a business calculation that they are fine with losing it completely. If a FD really fits a person's MTB needs then it would seem they could do just fine with 10 rear cogs if'n they wanted to use SRAM, but what do I know.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptourkin View Post
Maybe not "dump" but if you are talking about people who ride and buy new equipment above the Tiagra level front ders are almost a dead issue. 3x is basically non-existent. If you are talking about cheap OEM level stuff, fds are still in play. 1x took over MTBs a while ago and for good reason.

As an illustration, when you sort for 2x on complete bikes on Competitive Cyclist, you get one page of results. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...%3A2%5C+x&nf=1

whereas selecting for 1x gives you five. 3x does not exist.

You can say this is SRAM making decisions for the consumer but the market spoke a few years ago and I don't see any revolt in the MTB forums, Pinkbike etc..
Talking MTBs(Tiagra a road group), just saying shimano is offering 2by and 3by groups all the way thru XTR, in 2018...I think 1by, even with giganto rear cogsets, to 42t, still is a detriment to some in some areas, is all. But shimano is giganto also, so can make these things and sell where sram doesn't offer it.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I suspect the market for 2x11 (and 3x11 are you serious?) is so small that they've made a business calculation that they are fine with losing it completely.
this. off-road riders and MTBer's especially love 1x11, and for good reason. go to a local MTB trailhead, try to count the number of FD's you see.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:53 AM

2x drivetrains are alive and well in the hardcore bikepacking community and some of those folks even run triples and BB7 cable disk brakes.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I guess you'll have to prove it to me. I don't see it on their website, but I could be missing them. I run XX crank and f/r derailleurs on my gravel bike and 11s at that, but the XX (ten gears per chainring) group was a 2x10 group. I don't believe SRAM makes a 2x11 MTB group.
GX comes in 2x11

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/f...am-mtb-gx-2x11
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
GX comes in 2x11
Well, there you have it!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
Cool! You learn something every day. I could see that coming in handy for a weirdo build at some point.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
No. Not really, No market for front derailleurs on anything except for under 2k low end Full Sus mtbs, sub $1k hardtails or replacement pieces on retro bikes. Good riddance to front derailleurs on MTBs. I'll keep it on my road bike, but never again on an MTB.

Last edited by ofcounsel; 09-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
2x drivetrains are alive and well in the hardcore bikepacking community and some of those folks even run triples and BB7 cable disk brakes.
Oddballs.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
this. off-road riders and MTBer's especially love 1x11, and for good reason. go to a local MTB trailhead, try to count the number of FD's you see.
yep!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:45 AM

As an avid MTB'r and racer, I'd say the main problem with etap for mtb is the battery position on the rear derailleur - it can easily be knocked off or even just rattled off. Then you'd have to find it....Plus, etap doesn't feel like it could cope with the strains of mtb riding, shifting under max strain and its way to slow. Plus plus- nobody even rides Di2 that I've seen, and I've been to many high level races this year and in the past.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Soy Un Perdedor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
As an avid MTB'r and racer, I'd say the main problem with etap for mtb is the battery position on the rear derailleur - it can easily be knocked off or even just rattled off. Then you'd have to find it....Plus, etap doesn't feel like it could cope with the strains of mtb riding, shifting under max strain and its way to slow. Plus plus- nobody even rides Di2 that I've seen, and I've been to many high level races this year and in the past.
Yeah, no one I ride MTB with has Di2 either, and while I'm no racer, lots of guys I ride with pimp out their bikes. With 1x shifting being so accurate, reliable and (at least with Sram) smooth, there's no real need for electronic shifting. It is a cool concept, though.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Eagle eTap is nearly here?

I thought this was worthy of resurrecting this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/ar...le-etap-51790/
Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 AM

I heard Schurter was running prototypes. Regardless of how one feels about the need for these things, SRAM is really outpacing Shimano in the mtb world right now.