Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Doesn't sound like we need to warn you of the winters if you grew up in Elgin.

Might we worth considering the distance from work with that weather bearing down on us in just a few months.

I mainly stuck to road riding, as it was more straight forward than finding an enjoyable trail that wasn't packed full of dog walkers ignoring leash laws.

I like roads for the same reason and find trails to be mostly boring unless we are talking about single track.

So this weather thing raises another question. How many days are the roads actually a problem to drive on? Are we talking three months of crap road condition or 10 days over the course of three to four months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I like roads for the same reason and find trails to be mostly boring unless we are talking about single track.

So this weather thing raises another question. How many days are the roads actually a problem to drive on? Are we talking three months of crap road condition or 10 days over the course of three to four months?
I usually do about 50/50 road and gravel. To be honest, if you avoid peak times on weekends, the paths are not really that crowded, especially once you get away from the parks.

For me it's mostly the temperature not the condition of the roads that keeps me from riding my road bikes.
I like it cold but once it gets below 10 degrees its just not that enjoyable anymore.
Fatbike is the solution for me, bundle up and you are good to go...
Old 09-15-2017, 04:47 PM

Looks kind of nice and Wadsworth is a beautiful high end kind of town. Try not to gag at the 20k per year property taxes.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8-94458#photo6
Old 09-15-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
Looks kind of nice and Wadsworth is a beautiful high end kind of town. Try not to gag at the 20k per year property taxes.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8-94458#photo6

Looks pretty good except those property taxes! Worst part is that there seems to be no ceiling. Is this true?

Old 09-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Looks pretty good except those property taxes! Worst part is that there seems to be no ceiling. Is this true?
Not sure what you mean by no ceiling.
It's annual assessments.
The problem is that it is different not just from county to county but from township to township.
On top of it it's not always based on the sale price but on assessed value and the calculation/formula they use is not transparent at all.
It comes mostly down to schools good = taxes high.
That said, re. Wadsworth, check the schools first.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 PM

Looking at the size of the lots in the area leads me to believe that there aren't very many people in the area to share the load. OTOH if someone GAVE me a lot in San Diego I could not build a home like this one for less than $1,000,000. I can only guess that there are not yet enough well-paying jobs in the area and no easy commute to areas where those jobs might be to account for these "bargain" prices for lovely homes.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:25 PM

I lived in Chicago (in the city) for 30 years and can't opine on the suburbs. However for road riding, check out the Bicycle Club of Lake County's Ramble Ride. It takes place around Wilmot, WI and provides one of the few areas to ride hills near Chicago. I rode those routes endlessly in the summers. The website has good maps and you can easily follow the routes. The "Rustic Roads" in Wisconsin are country riding at its finest. Very few farm dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab123 View Post
I lived in Chicago (in the city) for 30 years and can't opine on the suburbs. However for road riding, check out the Bicycle Club of Lake County's Ramble Ride. It takes place around Wilmot, WI and provides one of the few areas to ride hills near Chicago. I rode those routes endlessly in the summers. The website has good maps and you can easily follow the routes. The "Rustic Roads" in Wisconsin are country riding at its finest. Very few farm dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks and will do!