Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2010, 03:23 PM

high quality platform pedal suggestions?

I am having a bling cruising/touring bike built for my wife with an Alfine drivetrain. One thing I have not sorted is what pedals to use - she wears jogging shoes/etc. or flipflops, so no clipless.

I have put Crank Bros 5050s on her other bike and they seem nice, but too bulky for this bike. Can anyone suggest a pair of nice, cartridge bearing platform pedals that are super smooth/watertight and durable but are not massive badass DH pedals?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 08-28-2010, 03:30 PM

I'd check out the white industries pedals . I've got a couple friends that love theirs... And they're made in the USA too
Old 08-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

velo orange sure has some nice ones. sound like they would be perfect for what you're building up...

Old 08-28-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB
I'd check out the white industries pedals . I've got a couple friends that love theirs... And they're made in the USA too
Seriously? I've never seen (or even considered someone would make) $200-250 platform pedals.

MKS GR-9's, most shops that carry MKS will have 'em. $20-25, they take top clips quite well. It's a nice flat platform; I never liked the ones that leave creases into your shoe sole.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket
Seriously? I've never seen (or even considered someone would make) $200-250 platform pedals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas
I am having a bling cruising/touring bike built
gr9's are not blingy. the white industries are. just sayin'

PS I use a set of gr9's on one of my bikes.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:19 PM

Speedplay makes a bmx-type pedal that has a lower profile than any similar pedal. A little pricey, around $100 IIRC, but very nice.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM

I like the MKS Touring pedals. They are loose ball bearings and are delivered too tight w/too little grease but they are easy to take apart, grease and adjust so they are silky smooth. They are the pretty bottom ones in the photo above.
Unlike many platforms intended to accept toe clips these are the same on both sides so starting off requires no feeling around to find the flat side.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 08-28-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:40 PM

These are interesting.

Rivendell sells these as the "Grip King" pedals at some very high price -- they're made by MKS and cost a lot less elsewhere.

I have them on a commuter bike; they are nice to use if you aren't using any toe clips at all:

http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Lambda-Pla...cm_cr-mr-title
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I am having a bling cruising/touring bike built for my wife with an Alfine drivetrain. One thing I have not sorted is what pedals to use - she wears jogging shoes/etc. or flipflops, so no clipless.

I have put Crank Bros 5050s on her other bike and they seem nice, but too bulky for this bike. Can anyone suggest a pair of nice, cartridge bearing platform pedals that are super smooth/watertight and durable but are not massive badass DH pedals?

Thanks,

Darren
MKS Touring pedals
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM

I see two sets every day ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket
I have a set on my commuter and a set on my touring bike. Both matched with Bruce Gordon half clips.

White Industry platforms are not only beautiful: The bearings roll beautifully, they fit my feet perfectly, they are durable and easy to clean. Even the grease ports are capped with a lovely solid brass bolt.

The way I see it, I am on my commuter almost every day of the year. When I am on a tour, I'm riding 7 - 10 hours a day. There are times on the ride I sit up straight without my hands on the bars. Sometimes I stand up off the saddle. Unless I am stopped, however, my feet are always on the pedals. Of all the components on a bike, pedals are certainly the most used if not the most important.

To the OP - highly recommend the White Industry Pedals.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:52 PM

GR-9's aren't that wide. It's the problem with RX-1's and several other Japanese pedals. You'll either be rubbing your foot on the crankarm or hanging off the outside of the pedal, or both. And the GR-9's are pretty rough in the bearing department.

If you want a nice, not unreasonably priced, platform pedal, check the downhill pedals. With the little adjustable screw heads your shoes really stay in place with them, the decent ones have good bearings, and they are just comfortable for a situation like yours. Either the Shimano or Speedplay or Crank platform pedals in this category are all good, depending on what you want to pay.

The TA pedals are rather wide and pretty sturdy, but I've found they tend to get rattly after a while. You can look for some old Campy Record road pedals, which are wider than the Japanese ones but not as wide as the downhill pedals. And there are other boutique pedals around. But I'd just go with the downhill pedals if you don't want to be using clipless or using toe clips and straps.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Darren

I agree that make for a very bulky appearance, however the true BMX style pedals like the 50/50 offer the best over all comfort and confidence. If that is what she is used to, she may not be happy with anything with less surface area.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 PM

origin 8 makes a lightweight alloy pair that are pretty decent.

http://www.origin-8.com/product_deta...ack&cl1=PEDALS

i believe they're toe clip compatible, i've used these and liked them but never tried them with toe clips.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 AM

i am not sure how high quality these pedals are that came on my latest bike acquisition, a hybrid/city, but they have worked fine for me. in fact i have worn sandals all summer while doing rides up to 40 miles long. long and wide for my size 13 feet with no slippage. came on a specialized globe. not sure if you can buy at specialized dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedal.jpg (36.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 08-29-2010, 09:57 AM

I always liked WTB Momentum grease guard pedals. They look nice, and have the grease guard port for easy maintenance. Actually why did I sell mine...

http://www.rei.com/product/737650?pr...:referralID=NA

-Joe